Self Defeating Powers

Dust Raven

I haven't seen one of these threads in a while, so thought I start a new one.

The basic idea is to present a Power construct that is somehow self defeating. Meaning that by its very nature duplicates something the character can already do for free, or acts in such a way that it has no game effect.

For my contrubution:

Bad Dubbing: Hearing Group Images 1" Radius, 0 END, No Range, Set Effect (character's own voice), Incantations, Normal Hearing Only.

Re: Self Defeating Powers

Motionless Running: +6" Running (-1' date=' Only when standing still)[/quote']

Honorary Strength: +10 STR, (-1/4, not for damage; -1/4, not for lifting/carrying/throwing; -1/4, does not affect PD; -1/4, does not affect Rec; -1/4, does not affect Stun; +1, Invisible Power Effect: all senses), 10 Active Points, 7 Real Points

I like this. Just tell me the math is okay?

Honorary Strength: +10 STR, (-1/4, not for damage; -1/4, not for lifting/carrying/throwing; -1/4, does not affect PD; -1/4, does not affect Rec; -1/4, does not affect Stun; +1, Invisible Power Effect: all senses), 10 Active Points, 7 Real Points

I like this. Just tell me the math is okay?

Just use "No Figured Characteristics, -1/2". Otherwise, it's all good. ;)

Pair of Nikes: 6" Flying (Only in contact with a horizontal surface, must make full contact with the surface)

Self-Induced Headache: 20" Leaping (Vertical movement only, only works in low-ceiling hallways)

How about Extra-Dimensional Moveemnt: only one second into the future' date=' takes one second to use.[/quote']

That's the kinda thing I'm looking for! Not necessarily incorrect builds that look funny, but things you can actually, legally, build that end up doing virtually nothing.

Super Pushing: Aid 3d6 (standard effect: 10 points*), Any END Using Power One At a Time (+1/4); Costs END (-1/2), (37 Active Points) Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Conditional Power: Power Does Not Work In Uncommon Circumstances (Cannot Push The Power Aided; -1/4). Total Cost: 16

Self Defeating Powers

I've always used "Like putting Zer0 END on Life Support" as a metaphor for going out of your way or expending effort and expense to get something you already have.

Lucius Alexander

And the palindromedary is there too.

That's the kinda thing I'm looking for! Not necessarily incorrect builds that look funny, but things you can actually, legally, build that end up doing virtually nothing.

Super Pushing: Aid 3d6 (standard effect: 10 points*), Any END Using Power One At a Time (+1/4); Costs END (-1/2), (37 Active Points) Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Conditional Power: Power Does Not Work In Uncommon Circumstances (Cannot Push The Power Aided; -1/4). Total Cost: 16

Actually, DR, that is still usable... since it does just increase the targetted power.

Let's go a step futher...

16 Super Pushing Aid 3d6+1 (standard effect: 10 points), any END using power one at a time (+1/4) (41 Active Points); Self Only (-1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Effect is Instant (-1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Boosted Power Cannot Be Pushed (-1/4)

Now, it really does do nothing! Take the full phase away, and at least you can use the increased power. ;)

Note that pushing is normally used only in extremis' date=' whereas an Aid power like the above can be used whenever the character wants. Unless of course you put on another lim, 'Only when Character could Push.' :)[/quote']

Heh. Yeah, there is that... depending on the campaign, that could be worth a -1/2 to -1...

Hmm... reminds me, we haven't been allowing Pushing all that much lately...

Flash Defense only against a flash that affects a sense you don't have.

Buying Damage reduction with a side effect that you take a x2 vulnerability to whatever the reduction is supposed to effect.

Instant change, with one turn to activate limit.

Life support, does not need to sleep. 1 charge, lasts 24 hours; 8 hour activation time that requires Concentration to 0 DCV throughout, requires a quiet environment and flat surface, preferably dark. Has 15- activation roll due to occasional insomnia.

10 Energy Sponge: 2d6 Absorption (ED, points go to Energy Sponge) (10 Active Points)

30 Invisible Illusion: Sight Group Images 1" radius, Invisible Power Effects, Hide effects of Power (Fully Invisible; +2) (30 Active Points)

58 Useless Shapeshift: Shape Shift (Sight, Hearing, Smell/Taste and Touch Groups), Cellular, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (58 Active Points)

5 Wasted Effort: Aid END 2d6 (standard effect: 6 points) (20 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x6 END; -2 1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2)

10 Hear That?: Clairsentience (Hearing Group) (20 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Blackout (-1/2)

Hmm, remember the thread about how normals walked, ran, mowed the lawn, etc. and did other tasks much more slowly than supers due to the Speed Chart?

I walk normally: +10 Speed, 100 active points, Only in non-combat, routine situations. (about -2), 33 Real points.

;)

58 Useless Shapeshift: Shape Shift (Sight, Hearing, Smell/Taste and Touch Groups), Cellular, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (58 Active Points)

As written, this is not really useless; it allows you to change shape to any one other form and then remain in that shape even while asleep. While it might not represent the best use of points, I think you need to add some limitations to make it truly useless...

As written' date=' this is not really useless; it allows you to change shape to any one other form and then remain in that shape even while asleep. While it might not represent the best use of points, I think you need to add some limitations to make it truly useless...[/quote']

Well,I find it completely useless because you can get exactly the same effect by defining it as a special effect of any persistent power, or a characteristic which is boosted "only in heroic ID."

So, while it does do something, you could do exactly the same thing without it, for a lot fewer points.

Well,I find it completely useless because you can get exactly the same effect by defining it as a special effect of any persistent power, or a characteristic which is boosted "only in heroic ID."

So, while it does do something, you could do exactly the same thing without it, for a lot fewer points.

Sadly, I've seen GMs require Shape Shift for any character who looks significantly different than human.