Self Defeating Powers

Dust Raven

Re: Self Defeating Powers

This is beginning to remind me of an old April Fool's D&D article in Dragon magazine...with spells like "Locate Self (gestures: grabbing your own backside with both hands)" and things like that. ;)

Actually they had a series of articles in that vein. The Aprill 1989 one, for instance, was titled "Still More Outrages From the Mages," so it at least the third. (I have a photocopy of that one, BTW.)

They were all written up it the then-current correct form, and were anywhere from sslightly amusing to laugh-out-loud hilarious.

Example:

Find Terrain (Examination/Indentation)

Level: 1 Components: V, S

Range: Touch CT: 2 segments

Duration: Instant ST: None

AE: Personal

Explanation/Description: Casting this spell enables the magic-user to locate the terrain (i.e., the ground beneath his feet). The somatic component of the spell consists of falling flat onone's face to get a closer look, doing 1-4 hp damage.

There are others like Transmute Rock to Stone, Explosive Familiar, and Audible Curse, but I'll spare you from the rest of the article. :winkgrin:

There are others like Transmute Rock to Stone' date=' [i']Explosive Familiar[/i], and Audible Curse, but I'll spare you from the rest of the article. :winkgrin:

Yeah...those are the ones I was remembering!

Hey, we can do that in HERO, too!

Transform Rock to Stone: Major Transform (rock into rock that's identical in every way except it's now referred to as a stone), Partial Transform (+1/2)

Yeah...those are the ones I was remembering!

Hey, we can do that in HERO, too!

Transform Rock to Stone: Major Transform (rock into rock that's identical in every way except it's now referred to as a stone), Partial Transform (+1/2)

The description of Transmute Rock to Stone had one of the funniest "Gestures" I can remember:

"The somatic component for this spell requires that the spell-caster pull his index finger out of his mouth so that his cheek makes a popping sound, then rotate the finger vertically in the air while whistling a low glissando."

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Summon Yourself.

Transform Air Into Anything, Only If At Least 250 Kilometers Above Sea Level, Air Must Have Same BODY As Object Created

{NB: it takes 1.254 cubic meters of air to mass 1.6 kg, which is amount needed for 1 BODY. Volume of air will double for each +1 BODY. If you're above 250 km, you'd better be in a pressurized vessel of some kind, so using this power will likely run you out of air real fast.}

• 2 weeks later...

Find Traps 1/2

Material Component: One hireling

Move Earth 1/2

Material Component: A shovel and a hireling

Those come out of Artax's spellbook? :-P

For those of you who don't get the reference... you owe it to yourselves to read Nodwick. And PS238, really, though it's not related to the joke....

And PS238' date=' really, though it's not related to the joke....[/quote']

SO true!

-----

One excercise in 'free speech' later...

"Hello? Yes, this is Principal Cranston...What?!? The gym will be off-line for how long?!? That's worse than when that robot wrecked it!!"