Jokes

Dust Raven

I was working in the dish room and a friend came in. She was from India and had only been in the states for 2 years. She was a freshman in college. She also had poise and self confidence. Any room she walked into, she was the alpha female. (Full disclosure, I was smitten.)

"Frank. You need to tell me something." That was her way of saying, "I have a question."

"Sure."

"They used a word in my English class that I'm not familiar with."

"Shoot."

"Double entendre."

[blush] "Um, yeah. That's when you say something that has two meanings."

"Like a pun?"

"No. One meaning is innocent, the other is not."

Puzzled look on her face. "You need to give me an example."

Oh boy. Bear in mind that I had listened to the Bellamy Brothers just before coming to work. I said the first one that came to mind. "Ok. If I said you have a beautiful body, would you hold it against me."

Eyes widen. Jaw drops. Head cocks to the side. She holds up one finger, about to say something. Turns around and walks out of the room.

I don't get that joke. The meaning of "double entendre" is "Zweideutigkeit" - "two-meaningdom" would be the Anglo-Saxon word I just made up to get away from the Romantic bastardization of your formerly Germanic tongue.

Big deal.

A German one would be "Ich bin gut zu Vögeln" or "Ich bin gut zu vögeln". By changing the "V" into a "v" the sentences changes from "I am nice to birds" into "I am a nice f.....". A former girlfriend of mine liked to say that. But she lied: She wasn't particular nice to birds at all!

I don't get that joke. The meaning of "double entendre" is "Zweideutigkeit" - "two-meaningdom" would be the Anglo-Saxon word I just made up to get away from the Romantic bastardization of your formerly Germanic tongue.

Big deal.

A German one would be "Ich bin gut zu Vögeln" or "Ich bin gut zu vögeln". By changing the "V" into a "v" the sentences changes from "I am nice to birds" into "I am a nice f.....". A former girlfriend of mine liked to say that. But she lied: She wasn't particular nice to birds at all!

For Der Roter Baron's benefit.

If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me ? Meaning 1. Innocent Would you be upset if I said you had a good body.

Meaning 2. Rude. press your body against mine.

Yeah, got it. Know the song, too. I just do not find it particularly noteworthy or ... naughty. Nothing to blush about.

(Do you "blush about" something?)

Yes, "blush about" is perfectly acceptable English. "Blush over" would work as well.

Would it help the humor to know that the time this took place, I was a seminary student and she was at the Bible college next door to the seminary. Also, I have always been quiet and had difficulty relating to the opposite sex and somewhere in my mind, when she said, "You need to give me an example," it translated as a hot gal saying "talk dirty to me, just a little." And the innocence of the asker...

Yes, "blush about" is perfectly acceptable English. "Blush over" would work as well.

Would it help the humor to know that the time this took place, I was a seminary student and she was at the Bible college next door to the seminary. Also, I have always been quiet and had difficulty relating to the opposite sex and somewhere in my mind, when she said, "You need to give me an example," it translated as a hot gal saying "talk dirty to me, just a little." And the innocence of the asker...

Okay, now I get it. Perfect! An opportunity well used.  :thumbup: 

• 2 weeks later...