Jokes

Dust Raven

On 4/20/2021 at 9:17 AM, Bazza said:

I never believed that chiropractors could solve my back problems…. 2 weeks later I stand corrected.

What do you call two chiropractors who've got each other's backs? Vertebros

Anyone need some old copies of The Australian Chiropractor? I have lots of back issues.

Why did the chiropractor go bankrupt? He owed too much in back taxes

reposting as Logan is “borrowing” my chiropractor jokes. :D 

On 4/27/2021 at 5:24 PM, Tjack said:

I’ve always liked this joke, but looking at it now I’m wondering if it might not be funny anymore.  
When I was younger there was a joke about two nuns and a biker gang that ended with the line “And the older one says “Well we’re going back that way aren’t we?” 
    Around 25 years ago I decided that it wasn’t funny until I changed it to two priests. I don’t know about that one either nowadays.   
    What do you folks think?

Yeah, I would say those haven't aged well.  And I agree that 25 years ago I would have thought they were hilarious, but now they are a bit cringe-worthy.

Three authors, Tom, Dick, and Harry, are at a writers' conference.  After the conference they get a bite to eat and then they head back to their rooms, which are on the 75th floor of the building, only to discover that the elevator is out of order.  So they begin climbing the stairs. 

To entertain themselves as they trudge up the steps, they agree to tell each other stories.  Tom is well known for his humorous stories, and he keeps them in stitches for the first 25 floors. 

Dick primarily writes horror, and so by the time they reach the 50th floor they are really spooked.  Then Harry takes over, his trademark being sad stories.  When they finally reach their floor, Tom says "I am glad we are finally here, I don't think I could take another sad tale."

Harry looks upset and says "Well I am afraid there is one more tragic tale you will have to hear."

Dick asks "Why, what is it?"

Harry says "It is the story of a man named Harry who left the hotel room key in the car."

The Truly Tasteless Jokes series of books went on for a long time, but I think it peaked in the second book. The first one the author had only herself to draw upon, but she solicited contributions.  The best of those came early, and came in volumes 2 and to a lesser extent 3.  The later ones were merely vicious, often merely vulgar, and very often clearly racist and/or sexist, but the early ones had some brilliant bits.

Spoiler

One of my best friends was 3rd generation Russian Jewish, and a couple of the Jewish Mother jokes made him laugh and cry at the same time, which to my mind was him validating those jokes.  The best two (judging by his reaction) were

Spoiler

How many Jewish mothers does it take to change a light bulb?

Spoiler

"None, dear.  I'll just sit here in the dark."

Spoiler

What's the difference between a vulture and a Jewish mother?

Spoiler

The vulture waits til after you're dead to eat your heart out.

To me, those seem sharp and bitter, but nothing like vulgar, and they play to real, if admittedly stereotyped, behaviors.