Jokes

Dust Raven

#2 Through the verdant plains of North Umbria walked Waylon Ogglethorpe, and, as he walked, the clouds whispered his name, the birds of the air sang his praises, and the beasts of the fields from smallest to greatest said, "There goes the most noble among men"—in other words, a typical stroll for a schizophrenic ventriloquist with delusions of grandeur. --Tom Wallace

#3 After J. K. Rowling announced that she might write a Harry Potter sequel—he was last seen as a married dad—The Week asked its readers to predict the title of the next book. Here’s what they divined: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fibre, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Ask-Your-Mom, Harry Potter and the Financial Portfolio of Doom, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Kidney Stone, Harry Potter and the Quest to Buy a House in the Hogwarts School District, Harry Potter and the Quidditch Mom.

Police in Tampa, Florida, raided and shut down a weekly $4-a-round mah-jongg game played by four 
elderly women. The Week asked its readers for titles of crime movies that could be made about this bust: Golden Girls, Interrupted, The Lavender Hair Mob, Indicting Miss Daisy, No Country for Old Women, The Social Security Network

A Military lab has developed a pizza that boasts a shelf life of three years without being frozen, and now the Week has asked its readers to name this durable dish. Here’s what they came up with: Semper Pie, The Lasting Supper, In-dough-structible, Pizza de Resistancem, DeFrigNo!, Auld Lang Slice, Eternal Piece, Grandpapa John’s Pizza

Delta Airlines is infusing its cabins with a lavender-and-chamomile scent called Calm. The Week asked its readers to come up with a better name to match “the ambience of the packed economy cabin.” “Eau the Humanity” —Serena Meyer, “Giorgio’s Arm-on-me” —Wade Etheredge, “Chanel No. 5 Inches of Legroom” —Austin King, “Claustrophobique” —Cynthia Pocali, “Mist Connection” —Cary Berkowitz, “The 99 Per-scent” —Julia Flagg.

A Pennsylvania couple had trouble selling their home after strange apparitions and sounds forced them to admit in their ad that it was “slightly haunted.” The Week asked its readers to put a more positive spin on the sales pitch: “A home suited for free spirits”, “Mostly not haunted”, “113-year-old Victorian, still cared for by original owners”, “A place for all your possessions”, “This house has good bones”, “Your kids will make new friends”

8 hours ago, Bazza said:

#1 The Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest celebrates purposely awful opening sentences to imaginary novels. Here are the "best" from the past year. As Holmes, who had a nose for danger, quietly fingered the bloody knife and eyed the various body parts strewn along the dark, deserted highway, he placed his ear to the ground and, with his heart in his throat, silently mouthed to his companion, "Arm yourself, Watson, there is an evil hand a foot ahead." --Dennis Pearce. 

And it was only a runner-up that year! It's always been my favorite.

18 hours ago, Bazza said:

My son, Scott, an insurance broker in Florida, loves ocean fishing and takes his cell phone along on the boat. One morning we were drifting about ten miles offshore as Scott discussed business on the phone. Suddenly his rod bent double, and the reel screamed as line poured off the spool. Scott was master of the situation. "Pardon me," he told his customer calmly. "I have a call on another line."

If he has cell phone service 10 miles offshore, he has a better carrier than I do.

A young lady is walking near the Olympic track and field stadium when she sees an athletic young man carrying a long, fiberglass pole. She stops him and says, "Excuse me, are you a pole vaulter?"

Somewhat shocked, the young man replies, "Nein, I am not a Pole. I am German. But how did you know my name was Walter?"

On 5/7/2021 at 7:15 AM, Pariah said:

A young lady is walking near the Olympic track and field stadium when she sees an athletic young man carrying a long, fiberglass pole. She stops him and says, "Excuse me, are you a pole vaulter?"

Somewhat shocked, the young man replies, "Nein, I am not a Pole. I am German. But how did you know my name was Walter?"

Classic Chic Murray.