What Champions characters might survive to the Terran Empire?

Balok

This assumes, of course, that their enemies don't kill them first.

Cataran seems an obvious choice; she was immortal before the magic burst.

Could a character like Menton survive that long, perhaps by decanting his mind into a succession of new bodies? An ability he doesn't have ... yet. Could Teleios do the same thing, only with clones?

I'm not saying any of them *have* survived; it might be that their special gifts evaporated when the magic went. That hinges on whether your opinion is that the magic changed them or sustains them.

Opinions?

My guess would be that only those beings possessed of tremendous

natural, magical or cosmic powers and/or abilities would have the potential

to survive to the Terran Empire era. Cateran and Teleios are good choices

(Cateran by virtue of her immortality, Teleios as a result of his advanced scientific

knowledge). Menton could concievably survive by means of psionic transference

(vis-a-vis the Witchmen of the Horseclans novels).

Superhumans who are immortal as a result of being endowed with cosmic-

level energies could also survive to that future era. In all cases, though,

they would either have to live in near-isolation from other people, or

go the Highlander route: spend ten or twenty years in one identity,

then move on or "die", then start all over in a new location.

Space Cadet :cool:

Mechanoids

I am in the process of writing some alien information for new races and star systems to expand upon the information in Terran Empire. Here is part of one write-up you might find interesting (I'm only including the opening statement and biology sections here. I need to keep the homeworld, society, and tech sections secret as some of the players frequent these boards).

Mechanoids

A silent and secret terror of the Terran Empire, Mechanoids are a race of sentient machines descended from a 20th Century horror. Concealed from the eyes of all, Mechanoids carry out the edicts of the Supreme Automation as they slowly build a technological army with which to conquer the Earth.

Mechanoid Biology

Mechanoids, as their name implies, are made entirely from mechanical parts and have no biological systems within them. The average Mechanoid is 1.6 meters tall and weighs 90 kilograms. Nearly all Mechanoids are humanoid in shape, having two arms, two legs, a torso, and a discernable head. Mechanoids wear no clothing and their skin has a metallic sheen; the skin colors range from chrome-like silver to a dull, almost black, gray.

Mechanoid heads have an optic band which runs completely around them, giving their species a full 360 degree view at all times. Mechanoid have a grated opening in the front of their head similar to a mouth which they use to verbally communicate with other species. When communicating within their own species, Mechanoids emit ultrasonic radio signals which, at this point in time, are completely undetectable by Terran science. There are also two small sensor pads on each side of their head which function as ears; it is also believed the sensor pads are what make it possible for the Mechanoids to receive their ultrasonic radio transmissions.

Mechanoids do not need to consume food on a daily basis as most other species do, but they do need to recharge their systems with energy on a weekly basis. Fortunately for them, Mechanoids are very adaptable and seem to be able to consume virtually any type of energy ranging from simple AC/DC currents to antimatter and fusion emissions. The eating of energy requires the Mechanoid to completely power-down for thirty minutes, and it is at this time that Mechanoids are the most vulnerable.

The few Terran scientists who have been able to examine Mechanoid remains have found their systems to be extremely sophisticated; so much so that a Mechanoid even seems to emulate the feelings of pain, desire, and even fear to some extent. A Mechanoid’s cerebral circuits are similar in design to the human brain and it believed they can even dream during their short recharging periods. Unfortunately for the Mechanoids, but fortunate for those who have encountered them, the design of the cerebral circuits makes it possible for them to be knocked unconscious, and even stunned. This differentiates the Mechanoids from virtually every other AI android and robot currently in existence.

Mechanoid physiology allows them greater than human strength and also the ability to move across the ground at a slightly quicker pace than a normal human. Each Mechanoid also has “Jump Jets†built into its leg-units. These propulsion units, along with their ability to instantly calculate distances, allow Mechanoids to leap vast distances, especially in low-gravity worlds, and to accurately hit their targeted landing destination. Each Mechanoid is equally equipped with metallic “wrist piercers.†These one foot long piercing spikes spring from the palms of a Mechanoid’s hands from their hiding place within the forearm. The blades are incredibly strong and sharp, and are easily capable of penetrating most types of protective body armor.

Re: Mechanoids

Pretty cool, except for this bit of science technobable.

Originally posted by Monolith

When communicating within their own species, Mechanoids emit ultrasonic radio signals which, at this point in time, are completely undetectable by Terran science.

I would just make it some sort of radio signals, with backup ultrasonic or even communication lasers.

Though I do like the overall idea of how Mechanon survives. The lower power of these could be explained that when the magic waned, Mechanon could of deduced this and built a lower tech version of itself free of the strange enhancements.

Either that or he and Dr. Destroyer merge.

Re: Re: Mechanoids

Originally posted by lemming

Pretty cool, except for this bit of science technobable.

I would just make it some sort of radio signals, with backup ultrasonic or even communication lasers.

The power is purchased as Mind Link. The idea is that they are communicating on a yet-undiscovered mental radio frequency - one no one has ever yet encountered before. This will give some psionics the unusual ability to pick-up Mechanoid transmissions by accident. The idea with the ears is to give players a focal point which they can then use to create receivers as the campaign would progresses.

Though I do like the overall idea of how Mechanon survives. The lower power of these could be explained that when the magic waned, Mechanon could of deduced this and built a lower tech version of itself free of the strange enhancements.

The history section has Mechanon pretty close to devastated for several dozen decades. It was only through sheer hatred that he survived in any fashion at all. His programming has been altered by the experience though. He no longer has as great a desire to exterminate biological life. His hatred is more focused at the Earth and the humans who live there. He believes the humans caused his near-destruction (having no real concept of how magic waxes and wanes, and how that effects everything) and wants revenge. The Mechanoids, the Death Spheres, and his ATRI 12 technology (much of it stolen from the Varanyi and surviving Mandaarian worlds) are just the first steps in his revenge. :)

Just to keep everyone's minds from boggling too much, I should point out that many -- indeed, the vast majority -- of 2003-era CU characters aren't going to be around in the year 3000. Not even most of the major baddies, or all the really popular ones. Just the ones who have the means to survive a millennia of quietude, he said malevolently.... ;)

Sure, tease and taunt us!

Steven S. Long, you tempt your customers with near-sadistic glee - and we love ya for it. :D

It's doubtless too early to start talking about a "What do *you* want to see?" for Galactic Champions, but I am hoping that the new roster of characters will include some "cosmic entity" type beings. The Ultimate Supermage filled in a lot of the mystical ones, and there is some obvious spillover between mystic and cosmic; but I would like to see a few beings with a more sci-fi slant like Marvel Comics' stable (Galactus, the Watcher, the Elders of the Universe, etc.)

But I shall be patient until that fine day comes. :)

Takofanes could have returned to his vault (or one like it) to wait out the low magic time. He could have set some sort of spell to reawaken him at the proper time.

We don't know enough, one way or t'other, about some of the characters who are largely based on energy. Specifically, do they need the magic to keep their powers functioning and themselves alive? Or did the magic simply change them, and they now sustain themselves by natural processes. The answer to that question will determine much about how many -- and who -- can survive.

What might the perspective of someone who is over a thousand years old be like?

Cool

Hmm, my own thoughts on what would be neat.

I think it would be kind of cool to have Witchcraft alive, she became sorcerer supreme in her time, extending her life..and as magic waned she set herself to slumber in a pocket dimension until it was time to 'awaken' again.

Firewing might be dead, but the a new Malvan might dare the Furnace of the First Ones and claim the same name.

There should indeed be a Foxbat, perhaps even distantly related to the original... however with so much damage to earth records on the 20th and 21st Century; have the details horribly skewed. The new Foxbat thinks the original was a great hero, and thus treats his mantle with great dignity and seriousness at all times :D

I don't think they come out and say it specifically (could be I missed it), but the clear implication is that Istvatha V'han's dimension spanning empire is the product of millennia of work. Since she has been along for the entire ride, she is either immortal, or has developed some way of surviving past her allotted span.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Cool

Originally posted by Hermit

There should indeed be a Foxbat, perhaps even distantly related to the original... however with so much damage to earth records on the 20th and 21st Century; have the details horribly skewed. The new Foxbat thinks the original was a great hero, and thus treats his mantle with great dignity and seriousness at all times :D

Hey, why not the original? Perhaps his using an experimental (and horribly unstable) power source for his new FoxBatWatch was not quite the clever idea he'd originally thought.

"I dunno... One minute I was checking the accuracy of the bus schedule for a potential getaway option, the next I'm standing in line for a sample grbnfflx... whatever the hell that is..."

Doctor Destroyer seems a likely choice to make it to the year 3000. Either he cryogenically freezes himself in hopes that the future will have the tech needed to extend his life, or he makes use of a time travel device to go to the future for the technolgy he needs. Either way, I think his character would have the will and the intelligence to make it to Galactic Champions.

We'll have to see what Steve thinks. It would be a little boring to keep having the same major threat villians in the future, though. So while I think DD could make it to the future, I'm not sure I want him to.

Originally posted by sbarron

We'll have to see what Steve thinks. It would be a little boring to keep having the same major threat villians in the future, though. So while I think DD could make it to the future, I'm not sure I want him to.

From what I understand of the Galactic Champions setting, "major threat" villains of the 21st century would be something like "secondary threat" villains in the higher-powered 31st century. Doctor D would have to ramp up his armor considerably, and form a supervillain team, just to be competitive with other villains (Istvatha V'han is an excellent example).

It would be a really interesting part of this book if they gave various accounts of what happened to some of the bigger threats even if they aren't still around. Maybe Doc Destroyer isn't around because he is finallly killed in a world spanning battle, or even killed by a bigger threat of the 31st century.

Originally posted by Morningstar

What about the mech's that don't pay for life support immortality? (Mechanon) I cant see them just rusting!

Well no - it's not like they have an audience for that kind of private function!

In Mechanon's case, no particular body needs to be ageless when none of them is more than a temporary ride anyway.

How Do the Threats Come Back, Anyhow?

Considering that the whole premise of the Xenophore Wars, Terran Empire, and Terran Federation (and possibly a Cyber Hero style setting just before the Xenophore Wars?) is that magic almost literally drops off the face of the galactic map leads me with two questions.

1) What even occurs in 2020 to close the floodgates of magic opened by the Nazi sorcerers during WW2? This would have to be a pretty mind-blowing event that doesn't really cause that much destruction at all....

2) What opens the floodgates again in the Year 3000 era? Considering that both the heroes and the threats in Galactic Champions universe are comparatively stronger than in the Champions Universe (at least, I'm getting the impression of such), this was probably a huge, HUGE event in the history of the Terran Federation.

Things that make you go hmmmmm...... :)