COH/COV conversions

Rinne

Re: COH/COV conversions

There has been a little discussion of converting it here on the boards, but I wasn't able to find a lot in the way of details. Still, you may find this material useful:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16952

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32537

BTW Maelstrom's posted text writeup for the Sky Raiders got scrambled by changes to the forum software (his attached HDC file for them should be unaffected though). However, I was able to clean it up enough to be legible - I'll post it below:

---------------------------------------

Sky Raider

Player: Maelstrom

Val Char Cost

20 STR 10

23 DEX 39

18 CON 16

11 BODY 2

13 INT 3

11 EGO 2

15 PRE 5

10 COM 0

10/30 PD 6

9/27 ED 5

4 SPD 7

8 REC 0

40 END 2

30 STUN 0

7" RUN 2

2" SWIM 0

4" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 99

Cost Power END

13 Flight Suit: Armor (20 PD/18 ED) (57 Active Points); Independent (-2), OIF Expendable (Difficult to obtain new Focus; -3/4), Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), Real Armor (-1/4) 0

25 Submachine Gun: RKA 3d6+1, Armor Piercing (+1/2), 16 clips of 32 Charges (+3/4), Autofire (10 shots; +1) (162 Active Points); Independent (-2), OAF Fragile Expendable (Very Difficult to obtain new Focus; -1 3/4), STR Minimum 18 and higher (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; -1 1/2), Beam (-1/4) [32]

18 Flight 17", Position Shift, x4 Noncombat, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (66 Active Points); Independent (-2), OIF (Flight Pack; -1/2), Activation Roll 14-, Burnout (-1/4) 0

Powers Cost: 56

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver

4 Basic Shot: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, Range +2, Strike, +2 DC

5 Far Shot: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, -1 DCV, Range +4, Strike

4 Quick Shot: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +0 DCV, Range +0, Strike, +2 DC

3 Weapon Element: Assault Rifles/LMGs, Flamethrowers, Submachine Guns

3 Basic Strike: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +0 DCV, Weapon +2 DC Strike

4 Martial Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort

1 Weapon Element: Blades

Martial Arts Cost: 24

Cost Skill

3 Acrobatics 14-

5 Accurate Sprayfire

5 Concentrated Sprayfire

5 Rapid Autofire

3 Breakfall 14-

15 +3 with DCV

10 +2 with Ranged Combat

10 +2 with HTH Combat

3 Lockpicking 14-

3 Mechanics 12-

5 Rapid Attack (Ranged)

3 Tactics 12-

3 Teamwork 14-

3 KS: Military Science 12-

3 KS: Scrounging 12-

3 KS: Small Unit Tactics 12-

3 PS: Mercenary 12-

Skills Cost: 85

Cost Perk

3 Anonymity

Perks Cost: 3

Cost Talent

3 Absolute Time Sense

Talents Cost: 3

Total Character Cost: 270

Val Disadvantages

20 Social Limitation: Subject to Orders Very Frequently (14-), Major

15 Psychological Limitation: Malicious (Common, Strong)

15 Social Limitation: Mercenaries Code of Conduct (Frequently, Severe, Not Limiting In Some Cultures)

20 Social Limitation: Mercenary (Very Frequently, Major)

Disadvantage Points: 70

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

the problem with a COH/COV to Hero COnversion, is the Metagaming aspect of many character builds in CoH. In Hero, you don't nessessarily need a move power, but you pretty well have to have one in CoH. In CoH ou dont get to buy the defenses you want, they default to a certain level, unless you are one of the lucky templates who get a defense powerset.

the problem with a COH/COV to Hero COnversion' date=' is the Metagaming aspect of many character builds in CoH. In Hero, you don't nessessarily need a move power, but you pretty well have to have one in CoH. In CoH ou dont get to buy the defenses you want, they default to a certain level, unless you are one of the lucky templates who get a defense powerset.[/quote']

That's why you build everything as packages ... Scrappers have their own package, as do Masterminds. It's actually very do-able and kinda easy :)

I'd flesh out the powersets, though... make them more distinct between two characters with the same basic abilities, but work differently.

Hrmm... time to read up on the Ninja/Poison powerset; BrotherDragon is supposed to be a near-immortal with bound shadow warriors in his service and a nice complement of alchemical powers. I might be able to play around with it; remove some unneccesary abilities, add good ones to match... well, we'll see. :D

Another issue is recharge/timing - in CoX, you use multiple attack powers because every power (with some few notable exceptions, such as the defender /Rad powers) takes a long time to recharge. Thus, you use your Strong/Short Range power, then your Medium/medium power, and so on. This is a fine game mechanic for a video game, but not so much of one for Champions.

Also, CoX attack powers have a lot of side effects. Some are quite nice, but you have to end up modeling them as Linked powers if the specific mechanic (such as a Dark or Radiation debuff side effect) doesn't directly map to a known Champions game mechanic (such as Energy knockback.) This is fine if you don't mind having a bunch of low-powered attacks, but it does mean that some builds will do a LOT less damage than others.

If you want to be nitpicky... I think the average time for a full turn is 15 seconds. Other than that, much of it can be compressed or multiply linked, and specifics can be tossed out in favor of flavor.

At least that's how I'm approaching this.

What's everyone's thoughts on Resistance/Defense conversion from CoX to HERO? If the CoX power provides Resistance would you use Armor or FF but for a Defense power simply purchase DCV levels? I'm thinking of the Stone Armor power set specifically (my main was a Stone/Super Str Tank).

What's everyone's thoughts on Resistance/Defense conversion from CoX to HERO? If the CoX power provides Resistance would you use Armor or FF but for a Defense power simply purchase DCV levels? I'm thinking of the Stone Armor power set specifically (my main was a Stone/Super Str Tank).

What powers do you get through the power set?

What powers do you get through the power set?

I'm thinking damage types are divided up as:

Lethal dmg = resistant defense in HERO

Smashing dmg = normal defense in HERO

Toggle - power must be activated, costs endurance to maintain

Auto - power is always on, no end cost

Otherwise, it's a normal, instant power with possible short-term effects (ie: Earth's Embrace that increases hit points for a short time)

Power side effects:

-Speed - this actually seems to refer to movement in CoX so I'm thinking a side effect: drain all movement powers

-Recharge - this effects how quickly powers can be used again, a side effect: drain Speed would accomplish this but used in conjunction with the -Speed side effect might be overkill on movement

Stone Armor Power Set (taken from the CoH planner utility):

Rock Armor - toggle - Defense (Lethal, Smashing)

- I'd call this FF

Stone Skin - auto - Resistance (Lethal, Smashing)

- Either Armor or Resistant Defenses

Earth's Embrace - +Hit Points, Resistance (Toxic)

- Aid to Stun, maybe Body, not sure whether to bother with the toxic unless consider it power defense

Mud Pots - toggle - Player Based AoE attack, Foe Immobilize, -Speed (self)

- say a small AoE EB, constant, linked with AoE drain on all movement powers, side effect self movement drain

Rooted - toggle - Resistance (Knockback, Sleep, Disorient, Hold), -Speed (self), +Regeneration

- mental def, kb resistance, con to prevent stun only, str only for casual str to resist entangles, +recovery with side effect of self movement drain, limitation only on ground (ie: no flying/leaping/swinging, just running, flight on surface only, etc. presumably swimming is okay if character doesn't just sink like a rock)

Brimstone Armor - toggle - Resistance (Fire, Cold)

- FF or Damage Reduction(costs end) only vs Fire/Cold

Crystal Armor - toggle - Defense (Energy, Negative)

- DCV only vs energy attacks, cost endurance

Mineral Armor - toggle - Defense (Psionic)

- ECV, costs endurance

Granite Armor - toggle - Resistance (all but Psionic), Defense (all but Psionic), -Speed, -Recharge, -Dmg

- stronger FF and higher DCV than previous powers, self speed drain, self movement powers, self drain all attack powers (better be a damn strong FF/DCV to justify all that), limitation cannot be used at same time as all other defenses in this set, limitation only on ground

I don't think some powers translate well. Early in CoH/V you can get this great power called "Teleport Foe". You can target an enemy, run behind some cover, then teleport him to you from about 100 yards. So in Hero terms we have Teleport 50", useable as attack, ranged, indirect, 0End, only to bring target to you, enemies only (recall friend is a seperate power) PLUS clairivoyance for targeting beyond LoS. So we have a potentially Cosmic level power being bought by characters after 4 or so months of weekly gaming. Oh, and other powers bought along the way. This power winds up costing the same as any other available to you. It's abusive and very useful if you're soloing or have a friend with the Tripmine power.

I don't think some powers translate well. Early in CoH/V you can get this great power called "Teleport Foe". You can target an enemy' date=' run behind some cover, then teleport him to you from about 100 yards. So in Hero terms we have Teleport 50", useable as attack, ranged, indirect, 0End, only to bring target to you, enemies only (recall friend is a seperate power) PLUS clairivoyance for targeting beyond LoS. So we have a potentially Cosmic level power being bought by characters after 4 or so months of weekly gaming. Oh, and other powers bought along the way. This power winds up costing the same as any other available to you. It's abusive and very useful if you're soloing or have a friend with the Tripmine power.[/quote']

Actually, teleport foe costs End. You could argue that it also requires Concentration (since you stop moving), and Extra Time (delayed phase or extra segment - I'd have to time it or something). Plus, the Clairvoyance is Only for targeting enemies, linked to the teleport, only for sight, etc.

I'm guessing that you could build the whole thing for about 70 points for both powers - it's abusive, but not substantially so. And, the side effect of a miss is something like Angers entire mob, 11- (14- is you aim for an LT or Boss and miss).

Actually, teleport foe costs End. You could argue that it also requires Concentration (since you stop moving), and Extra Time (delayed phase or extra segment - I'd have to time it or something). Plus, the Clairvoyance is Only for targeting enemies, linked to the teleport, only for sight, etc.

I'm guessing that you could build the whole thing for about 70 points for both powers - it's abusive, but not substantially so. And, the side effect of a miss is something like Angers entire mob, 11- (14- is you aim for an LT or Boss and miss).

You're right in that it does cost END, but since in Hero the END depends on the active points of a power, this would clost a boat load of END. In CoH, the END spent on the power is quickly recovered, but in Hero you'd need to buy something like +30 Recovery only for TP Foe. I figure it was cheaper to buy it at 0END.

I think I did, actually, in my quick, off-the-cuff construction. I thought about adding Gestures, too, since the TP Foe animation has you stop dead in your tracks (Concentration), and make a definite Gesture, and then, after a half-phase or segment (probably the latter) the foe appears in front of you, if successful.

It's potentially abusive, but I would rather see it in a game than the Tunnelling, N-Ray vision, invisible egoist.