Space:1999 Write-Ups

Fresh Head

Hello everyone. I was toying with the idea of running a game based on the show Space:1999 and was wondering if anyone out there has made a conversion to Hero. I'm trying to find the best way to write-up Moonbase Alpha as well as the various Eagle Transporters. Any thoughts would be appreciated as I didn't see anything in the compilation threads.

Re: Space:1999 Write-Ups

Gawd I loved that old show. A friend once described it as "hard sci-fi for the science-challenged." :D

That could be a fun campaign with the right players. Good potential to mix dramatic stories with campy action stories. I wouldn't think a conversion would be that difficult, as most of the equipment was pretty straight-forward. The Eagles were essentially flying trucks, tho at least a few of them were equipped with lasers. Their carying capacity, flightspeed, etc were all essentially "speed of plot" so you don't have to worry much about violating canon. There's some info at http://www.eagletransporter.com, but the site mostly focuses on modeling info rather than tech specs or whatnot.

Their carying capacity' date=' flightspeed, etc were all essentially "speed of plot" so you don't have to worry much about violating canon.[/quote']

Would you build the engines as a VPP :) The Eagles certainly we not FTL. But if memory serves they mentioned flight time from the Earth to the Moon during the first show - you could use that as a rough reference.

But I agree with you, I don't think you really need to build the Eagles as vehicles. Most space combat resulted in one-shot-one-kill, just depended on who was doing the shooting

Aroooo

But if memory serves they mentioned flight time from the Earth to the Moon during the first show - you could use that as a rough reference.

Sorry...I just watched "Breakaway" again, and they don't give a flight time. They give a time at which Commander Konig is scheduled to arrive at Moonbase Alpha, but they don't give any means of relating that to anything else to derive a flight time from Earth to the Moon.

When taking the Commissioner's Eagle up to get a visual on what was going on at Waste Disposal Site 2, Paul does comment just after lift-off from Alpha that he'd be in orbit [around the moon] in 4 minutes, so that could probably be used to calculate a minimum acceleration needed, but I'm a bit busy right now. Maybe later if I have time. :)

While waiting for a Windows Server to build, I took a quick stab at the Eagle:

Space 1999 Eagle

Val Char Base Points Total Roll Notes

11 SIZE 0 55 11 Length 12.7", Width 6.35", Area 80.63" Mass 204.8 ton KB -11, DCV Mod -7

65 STR 65 0 65 22- HTH Damage 13d6 END [6]

15 DEX 10 15 15 12- OCV: 5/DCV: 5

4 SPD 2.5 15 4 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

5 DEF 2 9 5

10 BODY 21 -11 10 11-

0" Ground Movement 6 -12 0"

0" Water Movement 2 -2 0"

0" Leaping 0 0 0" 69 Total Characteristics Points

Movement

Type Primary/Secondary

Run (6) 0" [ NC]

Swim (2) 0" [ NC]

H. Leap (0") 0"

V. Leap (0") 0"

Flight 15" [1920" NC] / 15" [1920" NC]

Levels

Cost Powers END

Power Systems

169 Nuclear Generator: Endurance Reserve (500 END, 500 REC) (550 Active Points); OAF Immobile (-2), Only to Power Ship's Systems (-1/4) 0

13 Reserve Power Cells: Endurance Reserve (40 END, 40 REC) (44 Active Points); OAF Immobile (-2), Only to Power Ship's Systems (-1/4) 0

Propulsion Systems

50 Nuclear Fusion Engines (4): Multipower, 75-point reserve, (75 Active Points); all slots Costs Endurance (-1/2)

4u

1) Combat Mode: Flight 15", x128 Noncombat (60 Active Points)

5u

2) Cruise Mode: Flight 15", Megascale (1" = 10,000 km; +1 1/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (75 Active Points)

9 Chemical Landing Rockets: Flight 10" (20 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2), Limited Maneuverability Vertical Takeoff and Landing Only (-1/2), no Noncombat movement (-1/4) 2

3 Docking Thrusters: Flight 2" (4 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2) 1

4 Maneuvering Thrusters: +2 with Flight (6 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2) 1

Tactical Systems

40 Laser Canon: Multipower, 101-point reserve, (101 Active Points); all slots OIF Bulky (-1), Limited Arc Of Fire (180 degrees; -1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)

4u

1) Close Range Shot: RKA 3d6, Continuous (+1) (90 Active Points)

4u

2) Distance Shot: RKA 3d6, MegaScale (1" = 1 km; +1/4), Continuous (+1) (101 Active Points)

5 Second Laser Canon: Two Canons Total (5 Active Points) 0

31 Missile Launch System: Space Intercept Missile RKA 5d6, Indirect (Same origin, always fired away from attacker; +1/4), Explosion (+1/2) (131 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), Extra Time (Extra Phase (time to target), -3/4), 6 Charges (-3/4), Costs 10 END to Launch (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4)

Notes: Typical Loadout

[6]

Operational Systems

120 Mission Pod System: Variable Power Pool (Sensor/Comm Pool), 100 base + 20 control cost, (150 Active Points); all slots OIF Bulky (-1), VPP Powers Can Be Changed Only In Given Circumstance (GM defined for plot purposes; -1/2)

Notes: The Mission Pod is the center section of the Eagle. Typical loadouts include the Transport pod, Reconnaissance pod, Rescue pod, Freighter pod, Lab pod, Booster pod, and Winch pod. Most of the pods are self-sufficient and detachable, and can be left on the surface of a planet for extended durations.

29 Sensors and Communication Systems: Variable Power Pool (Sensor/Comm Pool), 25 base + 4 control cost, (37 Active Points); all slots OIF Bulky (-1), Only for Senses and Communications (-1)

25 Long Range Sensors: MegaScale (1" = 1 million km; +1 3/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) for up to 25 Active Points of Sensor VPP (50 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1) 5

4 Target Identification System: +5 PER with Radio Group (10 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), Costs Endurance (-1/2) 1

Personnel Systems

14 Life Support Systems: LS (Eating: Character only has to eat once per week; Safe Environment: Zero Gravity; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing) (21 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2) 2

4 Artificial Gravity: Telekinesis (5 STR) (8 Active Points); Only to Pull Objects Straight Down to Floor (-1) 1

Talents

Ship's Computer

Notes: Represents only the basic functions. A properly designed computer would be in order.

1) Calculator: Lightning Calculator

2) Clock: Absolute Time Sense

3) Instant On Feature: Lightsleep

4) Memory Core: Eidetic Memory

5) Range Finder: Absolute Range Sense

6) Scanner: Speed Reading (x10)

Total Powers & Skills Cost: 558

Total Cost: 627

200+ Disadvantages

20 Physical Limitation: Max Op Time on main power is 96 hours (Frequently, Fully Impairing)

10 Physical Limitation: Parts hard to come by (Infrequently, Greatly Impairing)

Total Disadvantages Points: 30

BTW, anyone have a HDv3 Export format file for the boards?

Aroooo

The Eagles certainly we not FTL.

Of course the whole concept of FTL was something the show's creators were a little fuzzy on, ie - the moon is crossing interstellar distances in a few weeks/months time, and the Eagles can fly faster than the moon...

:angst: That way lies madness.

:D

That was one of my alltime favourites when I was younger. That and the original BattleStar Galactica.

I don't recall much and haven't seen it in about 15 years or so, when it made a brief revival on one of the local UHF stations. So I couldn't really help about the designs, but I'd be more than happy to critique any builds! :)

I would be very interested in seeing whatever work you put together.

Just a couple of points:

Laser Canon

"Cannon" is what you use to shoot people. While "canon" is pronounced the same, I doubt the bad guys are going to tremble in fear of a code of laws. :)

31 Missile Launch System: Space Intercept Missile RKA 5d6, Indirect (Same origin, always fired away from attacker; +1/4), Explosion (+1/2) (131 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), Extra Time (Extra Phase (time to target), -3/4), 6 Charges (-3/4), Costs 10 END to Launch (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4)

What episode was that from? I have no recollection of the Eagles ever shooting missiles.

Hey, you know me - I can't spell :)

As to the missiles, they were listed on the tech blueprints; although I don't recall a specific episode where they were used... But its been a while since I watched the whole series through.

Aroooo