Not quite a WWYCD: YWUA your PC...

DataPacRat

This isn't a What-Would-Your-Character-Do, quite, exactly; it's more of a what would /you/ do:

One fine morning, you wake up... but things are a little bit different: You wake up in the body of your usual WWYCD PC, with all their powers, in their world.

Have the two of you simply swapped places? Or are you stuck in a dream? Or is something else entirely going on? You don't have a clue - but suddenly, your Trouble Alert sounds (or whatever other method your PC uses to know when it's time to spring into action), and it's time for them to spring into action - except for the minor detail that /you/ get to decide whether to risk your life in feats of daring heroics that could very well get yourself killed, mind-controlled, or worse.

(Yep, it's the other main meta-game cliche - I figure we might as well hit them both at once. :) )

Re: Not quite a WWYCD: YWUA your PC...

Heh - well, that depends on which of my champions I've become.

Void: I don't have a freakin' clue how to do anything that he can do, except for minor energy absorption. Darned skill-based freaks. Frankly, the only way to avoid getting us both killed would be to hunker down in a safe place and pray we get switched back pretty soon.

Huntress: I'm going to assume that we're saying I would know how to operate her power-suit, as that's a slightly less in-depth skillset than Void's. In that case, probably try to help, but fall flat on my face half the time courtesy of not having any idea how to move in a female body, let alone one that weights about a third less than I currently do.

Darkchild: While the balance-and-movement problem would only be exacerbated here (she's even smaller than Huntress), at least I'd have an inherent power skillset that I've got a reasonable idea how to exploit here. :D

First step is to deal with the immediate threat, probably using a bit of the Power Pool to help 'give me' the instincts and reflexes necessary to actually use her body properly. After that, figure out what the blazes happened and get it reversed as quickly as possible.

And never, ever let word of the fact that I spent part of my life as an 18 year old girl get out. :P

Considering for all four I'd be female, there would be quite a period of adaptation....

Tao or Shidoku since their powers are inherent and physical about the easiest to adapt too, but I lack their fighting instincts or skills. With Tao I'd try to contact the rest of the team and explain. Shidoku would be tougher since I'd more than likely get institutionlized (or even tossed back in jail) then assisted.

Ivy and Eve would be very tough since their powers are based in know how that I don't possess. In both cases I would go to the team who's mentalist could hopefully prove I wasn't lying or insane.

Well, Assault is pretty close to invulnerable, so I'd be fine. On the other hand, if he found himself in my body, he could be in serious trouble...

I'd probably be a bit more tentative than him, until I was exactly sure what it felt like to not be damaged by normally fatal stuff. Then, assuming it wasn't too unpleasant, I might start enjoying it...

I don't have any current PCs (or even beloved old ones) to use in these threads, but I can pretty much guarantee I wouldn't take up super-heroing - any more than I'm currrently inclined to become a cop. I'm just not driven enough to risk life limb and sanity even *if* I was making a living from it. Maybe with a powerset on the order of Superman's... but, nah, even then I'd be more likely to give NASA a call and play space explorer.

If my situation *was* based on a beloved character, I might go a little out of my way to not ruin his reputation or to help his dearest friends (on the assumption that we might be switching back soon), but I'd do my best to avoid risking our body. Certainly come clean about it to teammates but lay low from the public. And let the teammates know any OOC info I knew about his/their enemies and other problems.

And if we don't switch back in a few months, I'd set up my own life and career. Until I made some close friends or got a lover, and the genre conventions/cosmic principles of the world inevitably forced them to die at the hands of a supervillain, giving me a more personal reason to be a crimefighter... ;)

Uncle Slam: I'd be very concerned because in my game U.S. has a lot of knowledge; I can't roleplay that. I'd try to fight crime while I investigate what happened, but ultimately i'd switch back if I can figure out how to. I'd be thrilled to know that I can make a universe though :)

Anthem: I'm a hot chick? Not sure I'd even leave the house. I'm a home entertainment center! Okay, I wouldn't go that crazy. But I'd definitely spend the day trying to be the hero to perhaps gain some insight I hadn't gotten previously.

Audra Blue: I'd jack into the net and see if it's everything I thought it was. This could be addictive, being able to create my own little reality at will.

Many of my characters, at least in online games are on teams... which means for several of them, I'd be trying to get on the radio/ com whatever and say "Guys, you won't believe this, but let me start this out with ...'we're #$#$ed'" ;) just in case I'm in that world now.

I'm in big, big, BIG trouble. Dr. Anomaly has a 43 INT -- which I do not -- a laundry-list of PhD-level mastered skills -- which I do not -- and 95%+ of his gadgets require Skill Rolls vs. skills I do not have in order to operate them. Likewise his ability to cast spells requires knowledge I do not have.

What do I do? Contact the rest of the Millennium Knights -- easy enough since all of them wear subvocal mikes/receivers all the time -- explain that I'm not Solomon Kinkaid, and ask for help.

That's about all I can do, really.

And even though I want very much to get back, I'd be almost afraid to find out what Dr. Anomaly has done (or been doing) as me, and to my life, while I was gone. (One, I think he'd be torn between pity and disappointment in me; two, he'd probably try to "fix" various things wrong with my life, partly out of compassion and partly out of an inability not to tinker. I'm just not sure what his "helpful tinkering" would amount to...)

I'd find a place to scream a bit. Then depending on the C, most likely either be in Traveler's body or Bear Cat's.

If Traveler, well am so over my head as to just find a place and hide; he's over 10,000 yrs old, has skills I can never have and is a trouble, strangness, where the heck am I magnet. So I'd have to learn and learn quick how to use he's powers. As incrdbil has said, I do know the rule's by which this reality work and also the rules by which he's powers work.

If Bear Cat, a sane Wolverine, do what I could in that body. Drink, eat, have fun. He might not be the most powerful C in he's reality but he is very hard to take down and even if I get the body killed, he will be back.

I had to think about this one. :think:

It would certainly be... interesting to wake up as a member of the opposite sex literally half my age. I'd enjoy experiencing the superhuman agility and strength Zl'f possesses, but I wouldn't be able to fool any of her friends that I'm really her for more than five minutes (To start with, I don't speak Norwegian or Russian; and she lives in Oslo). Nor could I act in her stead as a superheroine - I lack her extensive martial arts training and, in all honesty, probably the courage to risk my life on a daily basis. I'm not even competent to do her mundane job as a high-powered executive assistant/troubleshooter. While it would certainly be tempting to have some fun partying with someone else's attractive body and money, my own ethics wouldn't let me do some of the things I'd find most intriguing with another person's body. It would just be... wrong.

My best recourse would be to help Elena's friends figure out how to get us back in our proper bodies as quickly as possible. Because the world needs Zl'f, not some ordinary schmoe in her body. :help:

Ok hands up, this is a threadjack!

What does your PC do in your body? (Assuming all the the PC's skills and knowledge transfer, and the comic book principles they work upon now work in 'our' world, if only for them.)

Blackberry is accustomed to the weird, so the shock value of being gender-swapped wouldn't be all that great. On the other hand, she likes being able to do all the various things she can normally do--not being able to walk on ceilings would irk her. She'd call up one of her friends and get them right on the problem--even stuck in the wrong body with the wrong voice, she'd be able to convince them of the problem and the need for assistance.

Me, on the other hand, yeah, there'd be problems...

She'd call up one of her friends and get them right on the problem--even stuck in the wrong body with the wrong voice' date=' she'd be able to convince them of the problem and the need for assistance.[/quote']

What about stuck in the wrong world? I think that would pose a challenge even to Blackberry ;)

If I'd switched with either of my current Champions characters, no way in h*ll would I want to come back!

I have about 12 years on Cinnabar and 21 years on Gamma Girl, and the problems of their personal lives aren't anything I couldn't deal with from my perspective as a 39-year-old. The psychological traumas these women have faced/are facing would lose most of their impact once they were no longer something that happened to me, but to someone else (whose body I happen to be inhabiting).

My conscience would urge me to let the New Avengers - in Cinnabar's case - or the Legion of Superheroes - in Gamma Girl's - know what had happened, but selfishness would make me hesitate. I played these two heroines; h*ll, I created them and I know them intimately. I should be able to impersonate them pretty convincingly, even with people who know them well.

I think it would boil down to the question of whether or not I could master either heroine's powers.

Both Cinnabar and Gamma Girl have only innate powers, and I don't think either has the Limitation Requires a Skill Roll on anything. So if I can use the powers of either heroine effectively - or quickly learn to use them effectively - well, suddenly I'm younger, I have superpowers, I have friends and team-mates and a purpose in life, and the ability to make a difference!

The substitution would be my secret. I'd never tell...and besides, there's a chance that either of my characters would be happier in my original body and life than they were in their own. (Admittedly, though, that's a very weak justification. I'd more likely be able to convince myself that as the creator and designer of the character, I'll be better able to use her effectively as a hero than she could herself.)

If I can't master the superpowers inherent to my "borrowed" body, then I'd actively seek a reversal. I'd reveal the substitution to "my" team-mates and assist them in getting their team-mate back...though I'd hate to have to do it. But there's no possible excuse for hanging onto a body whose powers I can't use, in a world that needs them.

What does your PC do in your body? (Assuming all the the PC's skills and knowledge transfer, and the comic book principles they work upon now work in 'our' world, if only for them.)

Scream and wonder where their muscles/various anatomical bits/other things they happened to be fond of went?

I mean, we're talking about taking a minor mutant with a Batman complex, a super-suit designer, or a teenaged deity summoner (both of the last two being female) and putting them into an overweight college-student male. While they might eventually recover and start looking for a way back, I'd really hope that they're not heading out to do hero stuffs, because if they are, I'm screwed when I get back home.

Though I suppose that worse things could happen than Darkchild using magic to get me in better shape....

Hrmm.

Start from my side, I think.

Gallant:

Well, I won't have his martial arts & combat levels, but those are gravy when you're driving a finely-tuned engine of destruction like him. With a Str of 65, Dex of 30 & 33+ PD & ED with 20 rPD& ED gives you a nice head start. His enhanced senses are easy to use as well. I'm going to need to give the team & PRIMUS a heads up on the situation as that's pretty much his only job and I'll be exposed pretty easily. No avoiding combat with this guy, there's several people on the enemy list.

Kid Dynamo:

Actually, the easiest of my characters to drive around as. 'Course, I'm gonna look like a metallic 9 year old boy, but that's OK, since "I" know how to kick on the upgrade mode and refit him into an adult form given a day of internal reconfiguration. I'm gonna need to let Dr Armitage know what happened to son version 1.0, though and then we'll see what happens. I don't plan on really fighting crime here but that's not normally left up to Kid Dynamo. Be interesting to see if the recent enchantment that turns him into a real boy (to his great disgust) went with him or stayed here and if it'll switch me to a kid when not in Hero ID or just the analog to the age my body is resetting to.

Doremo:

On the good side, if this version of the Champions can't get me home, I don't know who can. On the bad side, I know nothing about martial arts or chi techniques. This is a great reason to hide at the HQ. Only problem there is that this dimension's Raditz is going to be more than thrilled to punch my ticket and he's living there too. Anywhere else and my enemies will track me sooner or later. Sure, the meat suits got 25 Str & 30 Dex but that's not gonna stop chi bolts, vacuum blades or freakishly strong alien invaders.

Thunderbolt:

Well, the powers are all gonna be pretty easy to use, he's a flying brick with weather powers. Not having his 50 years of crimefighting experience is gonna get me hurt when his enemies start showing up. And I know they're coming, his Unluck is part & parcel of his mystic empowerment, so I get what he's been living with. At least he's got money. At least I get that massive collection of mystic aetifacts he's picked up. Pity I don't know his ritual magic to go with that stuff. Then I could turn off his enchanted phone number (long story).

Armor:

That's a tricky one. On the one hand, he's a superhumanly smart polymath & I'm not. On the other hand, he's a supergenius owing to his "X-factor" gene, being from a variant Marvel Earth. So that means I'm now running around with a supercomputer for a brain. Cool, I always wanted another 30+ Int points. The eidetic memory, hyper-linguistics skills & Forge-style intuitive inventing abilites make this me the most likely to get back home. Considering how peaceful his life has been lately, I have just one problem. I really don't want to leave.

Now for them.

Gallant:

Well, he's not superstrong, agile or tough now. He's near-sighted & overweight. On the bright side, there's nobody here trying to cave in his skull. He could survive as me, but he would definitely use his Bureacratics, Conversation & related skills to seek better work while he looked for an explanation & a way home.

Kid Dynamo:

Well, whenever (and if ever) I get home, my life is ruined. Sure, the Kid's got great computer skills, but he's got the temper and personality of a kid. I'll be lucky to not wake up in a jail cell or the hospital. Heck, considering how reckless he can be, I'm in danger of coming back dead. After all, he loves that he's a robot and despises that "curse" as he calls it that lets him turn to a human form. He may not be Mechanon as far as the whole "meatbag" thing goes, but he's not too far removed from Futurama's Bender at times.

Doremo:

He's not going to want to come back. This is the first real break he's ever had. No death threats or crazed challengers here. Sure, I'm way out of shape but he's got great skills in teaching martial arts, chinese healing and he's got a huge arsenal of chi techniques including healing. This is the break he's wanted to really refine his skills for a few decades. Whipping my body into decent health and shape isn't too complicated for him. Only thing forcing him to try for home is his need to look after his little sister. Fortunately, anyone who tries to mess with her would incur the wrath of Kid Fist, and he's chock full of wrath. I suppose he'd set about trying to locate his home plane via spiritual refinement and astral techniques. A real pity he's not as practiced at those and this could take years :)

Thunderbolt:

Well, he's got a fair chance of actually getting home. Like I said, he's got an extensive knowledge of ritual magic. How else would he have bound the spirit of the storm into his body. Actually, wierd as it sounds, he'd be a better spellcaster in my body than his. He's from a cursed branch of the Vandeleur clan. Those in his branch have no ability to directly channel magic, owing to their ancestor's little squabble with Adrian, the patriarch of the whole family. Adrian rewrote that particular son's magic abilites when they were competing for the same woman centuries ago. Said ancestor was rendered immortal and otherwise magicless. The immortality didn't pass on but the blocked magic did. Given a reasonably short time to build up enough mystic energy (Endurance), he should be able to recast his original empowerment spell. That would really help on the whole End requirement for spellcasting. A simulacrum left in my place wouldn't be out of reach either.

After that, if he can't reach his home, well, he'd be happy to fund his life here by simply recreating his novel-writng career and fight disasters and whatever criminal activity he could prevent. It'd take him a long time to even consider really interfering in world affairs but behind the scenes weather control is pretty handy for defusing may conflicts.

Armor:

Well, he IS a supergenius. Dimension travel is one of his pet projects, too. Given a little calculation, he could adapt the Mad Thinker's prediction mathematics to let him score a massive lottery windfall. After that, it's time to go underground and make the tools to make the tools. Dan always loved his work. It may take him a while and he may wind up dragging Earth's tech level up a few centuries in the process, but he loves a good challenge.

Cry. "Whaaaaah! I'm a fat middle aged guy!"

Seriously, they'd all be so bored.

But assuming they now have the ability to affect the universe they came from the way that I used to, they'd probably make some alterations.

Me in Mindflair's body: ( remember, she is a HERO and we DON'T smile at the jerk who was screaming and calling us stupid ***** and ******* on the road, say "You're IMPOTENT ! and give a nice, hard push.)

Firestorm: Would be hysterical. She is used to being incredibly beautiful and would need a lot of adjustment to short and chubby with short legs.

Wicca: ditto. But she'd chalk it up to another weird affect of dimension jumping and work to fix it.

Cold Mary: Would probably become a Mercenary here if possible.

The substitution would be my secret. I'd never tell...and besides' date=' there's a chance that either of my characters would be happier in my original body and life than they were in their own. (Admittedly, though, that's a very weak justification. I'd more likely be able to convince myself that as the creator and designer of the character, I'll be better able to use her effectively as a hero than she could herself.)[/quote']

Of course, once she figured out that she had inherited your ability to rewrite the lives of your characters . . . :eg:

Hm... I hope, for Irving's sake, that my body will still remember toilet-training.

He's also gonna be in for a bit of a surprise when that time of the month rolls around. (Never mind that he'll still be trying to wrap his mind around color vision...)