The Things I've Learned Playing A Mentalist

CrosshairCollie

Inspired by Mr. Bloodstone, I figured I'd start up a tactical thread for possibly the most versatile characters this side of those Cosmic Power Pool guys.

Similar rules; just one entry per post, and preferably don't flood the place. :)

Mind Control works better after a phase or two of Telepathy to find out what buttons your target has that need pushing. It's hard to have enough MC dice to outright dominate a foe, but it's easy to influence them into doing things ineffectively.

Re: The Things I've Learned Playing A Mentalist

Your teammates may mock the invisible power of a mentalist. Be strong. Still, it is hard to deny that, during a action-packed battle, the mentalist seems to be just standing there with a "hundred mile stare", blowing spit bubbles.

Wear a Judo Gi, screech Asian sounding threats (actually speaking a language isn't necessary, most players wont waste a point or two for an extra language) and jump around like a Martial Artist... If you don't and your opponents find out you're a mentalist they're likely to launch an Alpha salvo against you. They'll disregard all other (possibly more potent) threats to eliminate a guy who can get into their weak little minds.

Survive by cunning, then put them to sleep after they’ve written you off as a kook.

Subtlety is the key here. Craft your Mental Control to conform to your opponents Psy lims. Create plausible illusions w/ Mental Illusion. Start with simple probes via Telepathy before you move to deep scans. Remember, an illusion of a bridge over a pit is much more effective than some sort of flying, fire breathing, dragon.

If you play an Illusionist, nothing will get more milage than something real...I once played an Mental illusions dude that carried a concealed pistol...man that guy shot a lot of "Smirk...go ahead..it's not real" martial artists...;)

This one's more of a "things I learned playing with a mentalist," but still viable:

Even if you're 'the world's most powerful telepath,' it is not kosher to mind-control every freakin' enemy you encounter, mind-wipe them, and turn them into a hero.

Yes, that happened in one I was involved in. No, I wasn't the person who approved the character. Yes, everybody was living in abject terror of the borderline sociopathic Professor X clone who believed that convenience was enough of a reason to go erasing people's entire personalities and rewriting them. No, the campaign didn't last long enough for one of us to build up the guts to find out if he really did have a telekinetic shield that'd stop a bullet to the back of the brain. Given how it ended instead, I really wish it had.

Even if you're 'the world's most powerful telepath' date='' it is [i']not[/i] kosher to mind-control every freakin' enemy you encounter, mind-wipe them, and turn them into a hero.

If I ever wound up in a game where this was happening, I would go so Carlos Mencia right before subduing the guy.

"Why am I doing this? Because you're --" *tap microphone on head* -- "Re-TARDED!!"