The Things I've Learned Playing A Mentalist

CrosshairCollie

Re: The Things I've Learned Playing A Mentalist

Yes.

EGO *Transfer*. ;)

Make that BOECV, Ranged EGO Transfer!

A mere 37 points a die... but worth it?

Only 25 points per d6 on the ranged, BOECV Ego Drain...

Wait...

I have it...

for a mere 37/56 points per d6...

Ego Drain/Transfer, AE Selective Radius, Ranged, BOECV

Then, you can wipe the egos of masses of people, all at once!

:eg: Moo-ha-ha-ha

Remember' date=' an illusion of a bridge over a pit is much more effective than some sort of flying, fire breathing, dragon.[/quote']

As a corollary to the above: Your illusions will be more effective if you can combine them with reality in some way.

For example, your illusion of a wall of fire will be more convincing if you cast it over a real (but small) fire. Teamwork (the action, not the skill) can also be your best friend. The most effective image/illusion I ever cast actually was of a fire-breathing dragon, but only after Telepathy had revealed that the orcs in question lived in fear of a dragon in the mountains; and reinforced by the fire-mage throwing a fireball so that it seemed to come out of the dragon’s mouth. Result: a full rout. :celebrate

Always, always, ALWAYS have a Plan B.

Yes, this could apply to just about any archetype. But the all-or-nothing nature of many mental powers makes it more critical for mentalists IMO. What are you going to do if your opponent shrugs off your EGO Attack, sees through your Illusion, etc?

Three words.

MENTAL. MARTIAL. ARTS.

Not maneuvers per se, but some combat skill levels in EGO combat will help alot, especially if you can convince you GM that using 2 lvls for +3 effect/damage isn't unbalancing when you compare relative base costs.

That being said, I'm now sorely tempted to develop a set of maneuvers that can only be apllied to creatures created by Mental Illusions...

Indirect Mental powers can be fun. Make the bad guys with mental awareness think that the team's Brick is also a Mentalist.

To truly appreciate this, also buy a lot of perception levels for smell, along with targeting. That way, you'll know EXACTLY which ones just doubled the weight of their pants. :eg:

Your special gift will force people to do things that they wouldn't normally do!

...Like your GM adding Mental Defense to all of his favorite villains and creating a host of mental combatants that will tear through your teammates like a Twinkie-eating, fat bellied, ninja prancing across rice paper... while waiting to get to you!

Note: If a mentalist joins your team... Make a helmet out of a colander and tin foil... It's your only hope!

People are not only incredibly gullible, they have incredibly short memories. You can preach and prophesy something for months, then drop it and go on to some other wonky obsession, and the flock will never bring up the fact your prophesies never came to pass, or ask why you never did something you said you'd do.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says "You're doing it again, Lucius. Look again. It's 'Mentalist' not 'FUNDAmentalist'"

There is a vast gap between the results you'll see in the comics done easily' date=' and what your character will be able to do at most game levels[/b']

That is a result of things you learn GM'ing for a mentalist :)

And a nice thread in itself......

5thER Breakout Rolls make Mind Control weaker than in previous versions of Hero unless your character is very lucky, subtle or powerful. Ask your GM how he's applying Breakout rolls before you start throwing your mental weight around.

5thER Breakout Rolls make Mind Control weaker than in previous versions of Hero unless your character is very lucky' date=' subtle or powerful.[/b'] Ask your GM how he's applying Breakout rolls before you start throwing your mental weight around.
Another reason for EGO drain.

Another option is to buy negative skill levels (10 point levels, as they are the only ones that can affect raw characteristic rolls) with invisible effects, ranged, BOECV and the limitation "only to reduce breakout roll (-2)". You could possibly link them to your Mind Control, or even better, link all your mental powers to this one.

Another reason for EGO drain.

Another option is to buy negative skill levels (10 point levels, as they are the only ones that can affect raw characteristic rolls) with invisible effects, ranged, BOECV and the limitation "only to reduce breakout roll (-2)". You could possibly link them to your Mind Control, or even better, link all your mental powers to this one.

As a GM, I'd let the character buy extra dice with "Only to overcome breakout rolls" if I was going to allow something like that at all, but to each his own.

5thER Breakout Rolls make Mind Control weaker than in previous versions of Hero unless your character is very lucky' date=' subtle or powerful.[/b'] Ask your GM how he's applying Breakout rolls before you start throwing your mental weight around.

I tried to introduce a friend and his brother to the Hero System, and he wound up making a 100 points VPP to simulate a Magician... I tried to tell him it was leaving him unbalanced in other areas, but he wouldn't listen... Meanwhile, his brother went for Powered Armor with a Multipower... I put them against each other, and the VPP wound up being used for a Mind Control... His brother broke free with his first Breakout Roll, and KOed him so thoroughly it was pathetic...