The things I've learned playing a munchkin

keithcurtis

Re: The things I've learned playing a munchkin

Take Disads you fully intend on ignoring. Like when a woman's firing a bow at you, and you've just chased her down and knocked her out, and you're going to whap her again while she's down, and the GM calls you on the Honor Code: Protective of Women, retort, "But she attacked me!" In the second game session. And whinge when the GM points out that you got points for it, and that was how you defined it.

:rolleyes:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being hard to detect just rocks. Being hard to detect while you attack rocks even more. Being hard to detect and even harder to damage will frustrate the NPCs, and in response they'll beat up on the other folks in your party since the GM gets at least some gratification that way.

• 2 weeks later...

If I were to DM D20 I would limit the players [and myself] to the basic PH, and DMG, no optionals.

I find most of extra stuff in the books tend to be unbalanced and munchkiny.

Don't get me wrong, there are lots of interesting stuff in say the fighter guidebook, stuff for any system player, just the rule changes.

That, by the way, is exactly what I do when I run D&D*. I also dont really like most of the "Prestige Classes". The Core Classes are diverse enough that almost anything can be constructed through Multi-Classing.

I -do- allow Players to "customize" a Class by swapping out abilities for other abilities of about the same power scale. The Undead Hunter variant of the Ranger was a really neat addition to my Flintlock Fantasy game...

*(However, I prefer to run HERO anyway)

All the really good character ideas are by default Munchkin.

Playing a ghost: Munchkin because of perceived invulnerability.

Playing a nanomorph (t-1000 type): Munchkin because of Versitility and perceived invulnerability.

And it doesn't matter how much you expand the vulnerabilities and susceptibilities and make them dead obvious to anyone with half a brain.

• 4 weeks later...

Use dice that are difficult to read so that other players will be less likely to notice when you fudge your roll.

Good example: crystal dice that do not have painted numbers. They're a pain in the neck to read unless your are staring right at them. Even better, get a set with a d20 that uses a plus (+) symbol to mark values over 10. I don't know if they still make dice sets like that any more but they were real common when I was in high school.

Pick up your dice quickly after rolling to minimize the chance that anyone will see what you actually rolled.

Ok this doesn't work real well in Hero where you rarely roll less than 3 dice. But you know the d20 munchkins try it.

After rolling your d20 to hit, pick up the die and squint to pretend that you're looking at the result (you are using those hard to read dice right?). If your roll sucked, read off a better number that is near it on the die and **** the die slightly as you put back down on the table.

Ok, this sounds like a pathetically lame and obvious attempt at cheating. But we actually had a guy in our old group from high school/college that used to do this. :idjit::stupid:

EDIT: Those word filters are funny. The censored word above is of course c-o-c-k.

Leave us not forget the sheer power and usefulness of being a really, really good whiner. Even the strongest willed of GMs will usually relent rather than go on listening to it. (Particularly if you have the group at a disadvantage in some way, like being the sickly little brother of the group's sole female player.)