Order of the Stick

Rapier

Ditching brain damaged long lived races was one of things I liked best about 4e.   Being long lived just let you live longer - no extra time to learn how to be a fighter compared to short lived races, no oddness like dwarves having the longest 'adventuring life' because their time adult to middle aged was longer than an elves, despite the elves living twice as long in the end.  

You want an elf to take 70 years to hit puberty... fine, I guess (though it's literally unfathomable to a human as to how a brain could take that long to 'mature' -  do elves take 5 years of being instructed every day to learn their ABCs? How is that not a learning disability?) but you follow that up with 5 to 7 years of training to become level 1 where a human does it in 1 or 2? Even if they're in the same classroom? That *IS* a learning disability.

41 minutes ago, DasBroot said:

Ditching brain damaged long lived races was one of things I liked best about 4e.   Being long lived just let you live longer - no extra time to learn how to be a fighter compared to short lived races, no oddness like dwarves having the longest 'adventuring life' because their time adult to middle aged was longer than an elves, despite the elves living twice as long in the end.  

You want an elf to take 70 years to hit puberty... fine, I guess (though it's literally unfathomable to a human as to how a brain could take that long to 'mature' -  do elves take 5 years of being instructed every day to learn their ABCs? How is that not a learning disability?) but you follow that up with 5 to 7 years of training to become level 1 where a human does it in 1 or 2? Even if they're in the same classroom? That *IS* a learning disability.

The OOTS adressed that issue:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0126.html

That's related but different - multi-classing instantly picking up years of study.   Under the old D&D rules that first level of rogue (thief prior to 3rd) would have taken Vesuvius a lot longer than his human party members as well.

Because - elf.  I guess they only do 30 minute classes a day and then go dance in meadows for 16 hours or something.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, drunkonduty said:

True, true. DnD does have that possibility.

Apparently the Skill "Scry" was removed in 3.5. And they did update to 3.5 on page 1.

Near as I can tell, only Arcana Eye and Detect Scrying woul apply:

Arcana Eye can be detect with a INT roll by any creater with INT > 12. Of course this is clearly not that spell. AE creates a "Sensor that can move around"

Detect Scrying allows you to immediately know the Location of any "Magical Sensor" near you. If you make a opposing Caster Level Check, you can even scry back on the caster.

Both spells are also Wizard/Bard Spells. So short of Domains, Elan has a better chance to have it then Team Dark Durkon. And I have no idea if Hela has "Magic" or something similar as Domain.