Order of the Stick

Rapier

Re: Order of the Stick

While I believe that Nate is fully capable of doing what his father has claimed' date=' I have to wonder. Given that his father *is* evil, could he have done the deed and framed his own son to eliminate competition/disruption to *his* plans?[/quote']

Nale is the type who gloats with his deeds. His remark makes thsi obvious. Also, being evil does not means that Tarquin and Malak can't be friends (a quite common missasumption).

Nale is the type who gloats with his deeds. His remark makes this obvious.

True, he does frequently gloat. That's why his posture and last of embellishment when he asked "How's the family" struck me as him being genuine.

Also' date=' being evil does not means that Tarquin and Malak can't be friends (a quite common missasumption).[/quote']

I never said that two evil characters couldn't be friends. But being evil means that betrayal is not off the table like it usually is for good characters.

True, he does frequently gloat. That's why his posture and last of embellishment when he asked "How's the family" struck me as him being genuine.

You're right. If he were (in this instance) guilty he would only ask "How's the family?" if he were on top of the situation and confident - not right when another powerful character has entered the scene taking him by surprise. He wouldn't be deliberately inviting attack by Malack.

Neither is he stupid enough to have forgotten what he did: "Oh right, I killed your family."

There might actually be crimes Nale is innocent of.

Also: even if it wasn't Nale that killed Malack's children, it doesn't follow that it was Tarquin.

Lucius Alexander

I know it wasn't me or the palindromedary.

Also: even if it wasn't Nale that killed Malack's children' date=' it doesn't follow that it was Tarquin.[/quote']

Very true. However, the only source of that information is Tarquin, who is evil. I'm not saying he did it, I was just raising the possibility that he lied to Elan about Nale doing it, and the further possibility that would explalin the lie being that Tarquin did do it.

Or Nale was rubbing it in, fully expecting to quickly flee the scene and hoping the remark would slow Malack down rather than speed him up (oops - Taunt resisted!).

Though I like the idea that Tarquin set Nale up and is now setting up Elan and his team. Seems consistent.

Of all the possible combinations of the letters "E", "L", "A", "N" (24 in total), there are imo only 6 combinations that would make for an actual name (in bold, below).

Nale Elan Alen Lane

Nael Elna Alne Laen

Nlae Ealn Anle Lnae

Nlea Eanl Anel Lnea

Nela Enal Aenl Lean

Neal Enla Aeln Lena

Of all the possible combinations of the letters "E"' date=' "L", "A", "N" (24 in total), there are imo only 6 combinations that would make for an actual name (in bold, below).[/quote']

Far too conservative. Several others would work.

Elna is a brand of sewing machine in the Real World.

Nela would be a fine female name, in a world where Elan and Nale are acceptable for men.

Anel is fine if your accent differentiates between "al" and "el". I've run into at least one person who couldn't tell the difference between "Alan" and "Ellen", though. "Ah-nell" would be fine. Could fall into the snickering nerd trap though.

Anle could sound something like "Annie".

Enla sounds vaguely Sumerian.

Lean is actually fine. Could be pronounced as two syllables - a variant on Leanne - or as one. Sounds vaguely Celtic to me.

Alne is marginal. Still, al-nee kind of works.

A couple of others work if you are comfortable with dipthongs, or are happy to split vowel pairs into separate syllables - "Lay-en", for instance.

It wouldn't be too hard to find 9 that don't suck too badly if you wanted them.

I can't really understand what your question is.

I think he's saying that in the world of the Order of the Stick, any given combination of those letters, even L'nea, could be a name in some culture or other if the guy drawing the strip decides it is.

Lucius Alexander

The palndromedary points out that if Lucius is wrong, Greywind was saying something else. and vice versa.