Order of the Stick

Rapier

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Order of the Stick

9/19/2012

Hi Everyone,

This is Mrs. Giant writing (AKA Rich's Wife). He wanted me to let you guys know some stuff that's been going on. Rich had an accident earlier this week; he injured his right hand pretty badly on broken glass and was rushed in to have emergency surgery. They repaired some severed tendons in his thumb and he's home now and recovering. But he won't be able to draw for at least six weeks (maybe longer, depending on how quickly the nerves in his thumb heal). And he didn't want to keep you guys in the dark for all that time.

He is planning on writing a more detailed post himself once he's able to sit at the computer and type with his left hand, but right now he's on some pretty strong painkillers. When he feels up to it, he'll be able to let you know when to expect the comic strip to return, as well as the timeframes for getting out the remaining autographed packages and crayon drawings from the Kickstarter Drive. I'll be helping him answer the backlog of emails from that next week sometime, but I don't really know his address-change system yet so it might take a little longer than normal while I learn it. The last few remaining packages that are set to ship from Ookoodook won't be affected by this, so they'll keep going out at the same rate.

Don't worry, OOTS will definitely return; the doctor is really confident that this is going to heal well, we just don't know yet how long it will take.

You guys have been so supportive and patient all year and Rich is really frustrated that he's letting you down by making you wait even longer for the stories he's been trying to bring to you. Just know that he is as eager to get back to creating the strip as you are to reading it. Thanks in advance for understanding, and hopefully you'll be hearing directly from Rich really soon.

Until then, think healing thoughts :)

~Mrs. Giant

Yow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Latest update on Rich's recovery.

11/7/2012 I got my cast taken off on Friday—the hurricane pushed my appointment back a few days—and had my first physical therapy appointment Monday. I have a splint now, but I can take it off for a few times a day to stretch my hand. The surface wound is healing well, but right now I have almost no mobility in my thumb. I can slightly wiggle the tip, and that's about it. It's going to take some time to get back to the point where I can hold a pencil or use a mouse with that hand (and I don't have enough control with my left hand to draw). I can type normally again for short bursts, if I'm careful, though my wrist on that hand is now very weak from being immobilized for so long. So I'll be getting some work done, even if it will be all behind-the-scenes work for the time being. And I'll be able to return to more frequent status updates on my condition and what's going on around here. Will I get to update the comic before the end of the year? I really don't know. It depends on how therapy goes, but I'm trying my hardest. Right now, therapy is my full-time job and I'll be working only when it doesn't interfere with that. All I ask is for your continued patience as I relearn the process of moving my hand.

On an unrelated note: I grew up in NJ and lived most of my adult life in NY, so I would be remiss not to point you to the American Red Cross and ask you to donate to help the victims of Hurricane Sandy, if you haven't already done so through other means (or even if you have). Or consider a donation to the efforts of the Humane Society to help care for the stranded pets of evacuated residents and reunite them with their owners. Or give to the Community Food Bank of NJ, if you want. Whatever makes you most comfortable. But they're getting hit by a winter storm again tonight, so there's going to be more need before this is over.

I dunno' date=' the XKCD guy is pretty good... :eg:[/quote']

His style of stick figure is entirely different, but then you knew that.

(It was really embarrassing at the Bardic Circle of Orycon to hear a guy try to sing "Every Major's Terrible" and hear him get the tune completely wrong. Especially since I knew it would be extremely rude to try and correct him, so I just sat there silently while my inner Savoyard screamed bloody murder.)

Now here's a guy who gets it right:

• 2 weeks later...

Another thumb update

here's the latest on my thumb: I still have the splint, but I'm mostly wearing it when I sleep or go out. I can move my thumb roughly and even bend it a little, but what I really lack right now is strength. Everything basically slips through my grip, making it hard to pick up objects or even move them around with any precision. Holding a pencil or click-and-dragging a mouse are literally beyond my grasp. My physical therapist has me working on exercises for that, though, so hopefully it will get better soon. All in all, things are progressing, even if only at a very slow pace.

• 4 weeks later...