Order of the Stick

Rapier

Ah' date=' so Xycon was never there at all. That explains why Belkar was dead and then just hypnotized. And why the bird isn't with V. But, why did Redcloak appear with the eyepatch? Nobody present has seen him like that. [/quote']

I'm assuming O-Chul told Roy what happened to Redcloak on top of the list of stuff he's seen Xykon cast/do.

V got a male (possessive) pronoun in the last panel of 883. Confirmation' date=' or is the imp just assuming? Or lying to us? Hmm...[/quote']

Everyone's referred to Varsuvius with gender specific pronouns. The joke is that one character will always use "she" and another character use "he" etc. I think some people even switch back and forth.

Anyway, unless you assume that an imp would have some special knowledge, there's no reason to think the imp's choice of pronoun is more meaningful than anyone else's.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary has a Y chromosome and a Y-not? chromosome

V got a male (possessive) pronoun in the last panel of 883. Confirmation' date=' or is the imp just assuming? Or lying to us? Hmm...[/quote']

Everyone's referred to Varsuvius with gender specific pronouns. The joke is that one character will always use "she" and another character use "he" etc. I think some people even switch back and forth.

Anyway, unless you assume that an imp would have some special knowledge, there's no reason to think the imp's choice of pronoun is more meaningful than anyone else's.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary has a Y chromosome and a Y-not? chromosome

True. 67890

While I applaud the artistic novelty of #887' date=' especially in light of Mr. Burlew's recovering hand, I am completely failing to understand what he is depicting or how it advances the plot. Dream sequence? Mass hallucination? Final wrap-up for the strip? Anybody have a clue?[/quote']

Look at the Order's eyes in the previous strip. You're now seeing the hallucination they're experiencing, through their eyes.

While I applaud the artistic novelty of #887' date=' especially in light of Mr. Burlew's recovering hand, I am completely failing to understand what he is depicting or how it advances the plot. Dream sequence? Mass hallucination? Final wrap-up for the strip? Anybody have a clue?[/quote']

My read: as described in No Clue for the Paladin Blues, the Order of the Scribble went on an epic quest to find five rifts in reality and seal them behind protective gates. They succeeded in this, but their interparty relations collapsed and, instead of implementing an agreed plan to protect the resulting gates, they broke up, each determined to prove that their particular philosophy and weapons of choice would prove the most effective gate protection.

Three times now, Xykon and Redcloak have attacked a Gate and, as I interpret it, been successful due as much to philosophical flaws as their own abilities. And, three times now, the very tools that the architect of the gate defence relied upon to protect the Gate instead caused its destruction.

Girard believed that only family could be trusted, and relied on family alone to protect his gate. We've seen where that got him. Now we see illusions defending the Gate.

My prediction: these illusions will somehow lead to the destruction of the Gate. That's why Rich is dwelling on them.

• 2 weeks later...

The Send is from an Azurite cleric, so we know that she is telling Haley that Xykon is on the move, and will be at Girard's Gate shortly:

the sequence of events:

i) Xykon loses his phylactery down a sewer grate and promises to move on to Girard's Gate the moment he finds it: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0662.html

i.5) Hinjo agrees to coordinate the effort to protect the Gates from his new base on an island off the Western Continent: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0671.html

ii) The phylactery is recovered, and the Azure Resistance Sends a warning to Hinjo that Xykon is on the move: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0827.html

iii) Hinjo receives the warning, and sets out to warn the Order of the Stick. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0865.html