Order of the Stick

Rapier

Heh. I wonder if Rich is reading his forums and shooting each idea down the readers discuss...

"Other clerics can buff him!"

Next web comic "Oh, guess not."

"Durkon could just stay out of range and wait him out..."

Today's webcomic 'Oh...." 

He has been known to do that. The oracle's various "for one interpretation of" statements were things fans had thrown out on the forum for "how will this prophecy be fulfilled?"

You know, part of me wonders if Belkar hasn't killed the demi god priests to keep the vote from going forward

But first we have to find out how he survived...

Belkar does not know the Demigod priest are nessesary for Hels plan. Or anything else that happened since he flew out of the window.

On top of that, attacking the representatives of any gods in that temple would cause deadly trouble.

That begs the question why there is no Usher at all? Just what has been happening outside the Voting room while we were distracted with what happened inside?

Belkar does not know the Demigod priest are nessesary for Hels plan. Or anything else that happened since he flew out of the window.

On top of that, attacking the representatives of any gods in that temple would cause deadly trouble.

That begs the question why there is no Usher at all? Just what has been happening outside the Voting room while we were distracted with what happened inside?

Durkon killed/turned all the Ushers.

Because the loophole only allows a bodyguard to attack his own charge.

"A bodyguard who raises arms against the priest of another God must be put to death."

If the fate of the world and the potential death of EVERYONE is at stake, in what way is this a deterrent?

I can't believe the bodyguards are ALL Lawful, certainly not so superlawful as not to think "hm, I can sit on my hands and follow the rule and passively allow the destruction of myself and everyone I know and care about, or I can fight to literally save the world and all it can cost me is the life that was ALREADY forfeit? Today is a good day to die as a hero."

Lucius Alexander

Any day is a great day to live with a palindromedary

"A bodyguard who raises arms against the priest of another God must be put to death."

If the fate of the world and the potential death of EVERYONE is at stake, in what way is this a deterrent?

I can't believe the bodyguards are ALL Lawful, certainly not so superlawful as not to think "hm, I can sit on my hands and follow the rule and passively allow the destruction of myself and everyone I know and care about, or I can fight to literally save the world and all it can cost me is the life that was ALREADY forfeit? Today is a good day to die as a hero."

The harm could be that some people like a certain priest would join the side of the Vampire. This could turn into an all out war.

The harm could be that some people like a certain priest would join the side of the Vampire. This could turn into an all out war.

And everyone on that balcony has thought that far ahead?

Lucius Alexander

I don't usually know when I start a post what I'm putting in the palindromedary tagline

Bystander Effect plus background.  I would wager most of the bodyguards are not independent, wild-thinking mercenaries (run by Player Characters).  They are without doubt present at this momentous gathering because, beyond martial capability, they have proven themselves to be good at following military and religious commands.  No matter any alignment, they will look to their boss for orders.

And why are all the other bodyguards standing idly by?

Because the loophole only allows a bodyguard to attack his own charge.

And everyone on that balcony has thought that far ahead?

Maybe the ones who think it through far enough to weigh their own death against the end of the world have thought that much further. Or maybe they just recognize that only PC's get to impact the story anyway.

That's a good point, but as the protagonist, I think Roy needs to figure that one out for himself. Rich seems to like playing with storytelling tropes and rules, and that one seems applicable  here. It'd also be a waste of Durkon's efforts to sabotage the Vampire's masquerade* if someone in the Order didn't figure it out.

*Oops! One of those things you don't notice until you type it.

That's a good point, but as the protagonist, I think Roy needs to figure that one out for himself.

Roy seems to be catching on to something in Panel 5. I mean as if the total lack of accent is not a very clear sing already. Dark!Durkon has not even tried to fake Durkons accent since he entered the hall.

Also Hel might want to listen a we bit closer to that fight. Dark!Durkon clearly just said that he might not actually be on Hel's side. I wonder who else could have a benefit from Hel's plan and would be brazen enough to trick the future queen of the north?