Order of the Stick

Rapier

And why are all the other bodyguards standing idly by?

Lucius Alexander

Inquiring palindromedaries want to know

Because the loophole only allows a bodyguard to attack his own charge.

"A bodyguard who raises arms against the priest of another God must be put to death."

If the fate of the world and the potential death of EVERYONE is at stake, in what way is this a deterrent?

I can't believe the bodyguards are ALL Lawful, certainly not so superlawful as not to think "hm, I can sit on my hands and follow the rule and passively allow the destruction of myself and everyone I know and care about, or I can fight to literally save the world and all it can cost me is the life that was ALREADY forfeit? Today is a good day to die as a hero."

Lucius Alexander

Any day is a great day to live with a palindromedary

The harm could be that some people like a certain priest would join the side of the Vampire. This could turn into an all out war.

I can't help it. I was thinking about this again.

And about the fact that "the world is at stake" implies, even if you're lawful evil, "MY LIFE is at stake."

I'm just finding it hard to believe that not ONE of the bodyguards has so far confronted their priest with "Are you and I both going to help take down that vampire, or am I going to have to kill you first?" Or that the priests, who presumably have Wisdom, haven't started casting defensive spells on themselves in anticipation of that.

edit: Or for that matter that the priests, who again presumably have some Wisdom, are just sitting around with their holy symbols up their

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that this has gone on too long to think that everyone is simply still too stunned to react. Or even that they haven't had time to think through the implications and choose to respond. They're not a bunch of Elans after all.

I can't help it. I was thinking about this again.

And about the fact that "the world is at stake" implies, even if you're lawful evil, "MY LIFE is at stake."

I'm just finding it hard to believe that not ONE of the bodyguards has so far confronted their priest with "Are you and I both going to help take down that vampire, or am I going to have to kill you first?" Or that the priests, who presumably have Wisdom, haven't started casting defensive spells on themselves in anticipation of that.

We can pretty much asume that there are rules in play for Priests not attacking each other too. If Durkon or Roy can't keep thier little "Interclerical scuffle" to themself, either one would be put to death.

Actually I just realised, killing someone might be the best option.

One of the "Yes" priests could have himself get killed by his or her bodyguard. No more tie, no more win for Hel. And I doubt any of the "No" priests would go through the process of doing it too.

Is it really such a stretch of the imagination to think of situations where rational people are willing to sacrifice their own safety/preferences in the name of adhering to their faith's mandates?

No.

The question is, how much of a stretch is it to imagine a number of (rational?(actually, how about if some them are NOT rational? Either way really) people whose own safety or preferences are already at stake if not forfeit passively standing around when the literal End of the World might be the outcome of passively standing around? Particularly when some of these people are presumably "fighters" accustomed to action and not to passivity in the face of highly dangerous high stakes situations?

Lucius Alexander

If you threaten to kill my palindromedary for interfering, but if I don't interfere you mean to kill all palindromedaries everywhere, in what way is threatening my palindromedary a deterrent? Give it a choice between going down like a lamb or going down kicking and chomping...here, let me get out of the way if you want to try offering that choice to it.....and remember, Sneak Attack from Behind is something I absolutely can't do because it's against the rules....

No.

The question is, how much of a stretch is it to imagine a number of (rational?(actually, how about if some them are NOT rational? Either way really) people whose own safety or preferences are already at stake if not forfeit passively standing around when the literal End of the World might be the outcome of passively standing around? Particularly when some of these people are presumably "fighters" accustomed to action and not to passivity in the face of highly dangerous high stakes situations?

Lucius Alexander

If you threaten to kill my palindromedary for interfering, but if I don't interfere you mean to kill all palindromedaries everywhere, in what way is threatening my palindromedary a deterrent? Give it a choice between going down like a lamb or going down kicking and chomping...here, let me get out of the way if you want to try offering that choice to it.....and remember, Sneak Attack from Behind is something I absolutely can't do because it's against the rules....

The fighters would not really make a difference. The would just get one shooted by Hel. And Durkon might get full healed just to offset any damage that attack might have done. So yes, there is a decent chance them attacking makes it worse.

The Clerics, now that would mater. As I said, they only need to remove one "yes" cleric from the equation. And it does not have to be Durkon. But those are the ones least likely to go against thier gods wishes. I mean we talk about the Pope equivalent for each Religion.

There are actually two separate issues.

There is the question of whether or not in some hypothetical "objective" point of view the bystanders (Clerical and Martial) "should" take action as opposed to standing around passively waiting for the world to end.

Then there is the question, independently of whether taking action is likely to lead to a preferable outcome, is it reasonable to suppose - given that they all understand what is at stake, and that for half of them as fighters and bodyguards their inclination training and experience predisposes them to acting swiftly and decisively in dangerous high stakes situations - that all of these so far utterly passive bystanders WOULD actually refrain from trying to do something about it.

Lucius Alexander

My inclination training and experience predisposes me to palindromedary taglines no matter what is at stake.

Well, at the risk of repeating myself, I still see it like this:  these high-level (in game terms and political status) clerics did not stop at the local tavern en route to the meeting and call out "Any freebooter-adventurer-mercs in here want to earn a fiver by being a bodyguard for the afternoon?".  These bodyguards would, yes, be elite warriors, but more significantly, they would be devout followers of the god in question.  The clerics would let the warrior captain types choose their best.  From that pool the holy guys would review Sunday School attendance and other criteria ("Well young GruntBurp here is as devout as they come, but I think we should go with SparkleTeeth.  Have to put on a good presentation in front of the assembly)

So, I see these bodyguards as fanatically devout to their god and thus unswervingly loyal to his/her/its representative on the mortal plane.  The fact they each get a bodyguard at this convocation means, despite rules and regulations, there is a security risk.  SparkleTeeth's job #1 to protect the cleric of TinkleBells the Good.  If he charges off to help Roy, the cleric and bodyguard of TarSnot the Evil might work off a centuries-old feud on poor TinkleBells.  

Until SparkleTeeth is given the attack order, he'll do his job, no matter his personal feelings.

Roy! Get a crossbow!

You know how it is with him and ranged weapons. Remember when he had haleys bow?

That guy on the airship is the creed usher from page 995, btw.

I wonder who that 7th demigod could be, As far as I can tell, he belongs to that dwarf in the blue clothing, with a yellow crown.

We know it can't be Banjo, right? Or Banjuul or his Orcish brother? I mean they never were invited into the Pantheon as far as we saw (not because Elan made them up).

Edit:

Wait, is Haley seriously cheating at monopoly? I mean 5 Hotels?

Let's look at Banjo's apereance:

This is Bajo's first appereance:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0080.html

Here is Banjulhu:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0085.html

This is the adventure where Banjo got his brother:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0551.html

Here is the birth of Giggles, clown prince of Slapstick:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0561.html

Their color schemes and symbols don't match at all.

In fact the only person that has a crown similar to that Dwarf head symbol and wears blue a lot would be Xykon...