Order of the Stick

Rapier

Had Durkon known, he would never have asked the Oracle when he would return home - and the prophecy that he would return "posthumously" would never have been given.

He might have asked something like "How do I best ensure that I never return home?"

Lucius Alexander

And a palindromedary tagline, in accordance with the prophecy.

Had Durkon known, he would never have asked the Oracle when he would return home - and the prophecy that he would return "posthumously" would never have been given.

He might have asked something like "How do I best ensure that I never return home?"

Lucius Alexander

And a palindromedary tagline, in accordance with the prophecy.

The thing is that if he would have known, the prophecy would not have named him in the first place. Another dwarf (who would not have been told because of his different Character) would taken his place.

It is a classical case of the Uncertainty Principle: The prophecy only said "when he returns home" without qualifier from where or anything. So the priest tried to avoid it by sending Durkon away. Him being send away, got him sticking to the OOTS. Wich resulted in him beign turned into a Vampire. Wich resulted in him bringing doom when returning home. A classical "trying to prevent X, leads to causing X".

However there is a glimmer of hope: This prophecy came from Odin himself, through his high priest. Odin intentionally made this prophecy knowing it would at least come to this moment. Everything up to this moment at least, is part of Odins plan.

Maybe there is something about Durkon being "the Person of the Prophecy" against all the other candidates, that makes it actually turn out good in th end (a failure for Hel)? Maybe somehow Durkon will not bring doom, because he was the one send away and turned?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...