Order of the Stick

Rapier

Re: Order of the Stick

Still, if V truly does go down the slippery slope him/herself, where will that leave Belkar? A fight to the death between the two as the lesser of two evils? A partnership? More importantly, where will that leave the OotS if two of its members become/stay willfully evil?

I, for one, have no wish to know more about Belkar's motivations, back story and future acts.

He's a serial killer, for Heaven's sake, most likely explained by a serious psychosexual deviation modifying an equally severe antisocial personality disorder. Even his relationship with Mr. Scruffy probably can't be taken any further, because while people like Belkar have pets in real life, those pets rarely have happy endings.

As long as we choose not to dwell on those things, he's funny. But how can you develop the character without going there?

And why, exactly, hasn't he joined up with Xykon yet?

I, for one, have no wish to know more about Belkar's motivations, back story and future acts.

He's a serial killer, for Heaven's sake, most likely explained by a serious psychosexual deviation modifying an equally severe antisocial personality disorder. Even his relationship with Mr. Scruffy probably can't be taken any further, because while people like Belkar have pets in real life, those pets rarely have happy endings.

As long as we choose not to dwell on those things, he's funny. But how can you develop the character without going there?

Maybe Banjo forbids it.

I for one have no problems keeping Belkar around. He's a pretty classic archtype (playerwise)... the guy who's playing just to kill & loot stuff and doesn't care about the in game consequences or plot.

Perhaps he's not truly evil, but just Chaotic Neutral? I point to the fact that in strip # 281, he had the opportunity to kill the paladin that was hounding them while she was unconscious. Instead, he waited around for her to wake up so they could continue their battle.

Perhaps he's not truly evil' date=' but just Chaotic Neutral? I point to the fact that in strip # 281, he had the opportunity to kill the paladin that was hounding them while she was unconscious. Instead, he waited around for her to wake up so they could continue their battle.

Yes, he's evil. He didn't leave her alive because he has scruples. He left her alive because he likes a fight.

Yeah, that was meta meta in a weird way...

Oddly, this reminds me of a player I had trouble with once. He was constitutionally incapable of playing a good alignment, frequently to the detriment of the party. When I took over running for the group, I had a flash of inspiration and told him that his character was secretly working for the villains and had infiltrated the group - but he had to be sure not to tip off the other PCs (or players). As long as he knew in his heart that his character was evil, he could quit with the disruptive blatant amoral behavior.

Just because one is evil doesn't mean one doesn't have friends...

Well there is a slim possibility that by playing the game he comes around to the good side of thinking.

But...

I don't really want that to happen, let alone think it will.

to me, Belkar is clearly played by guys I know. I'm not terribly fond of them. I am fond of him because, he basically gets handled well and it inspires me on how to deal with them.

Belkar is clearly played by guys I know.

This is why I don't get bent out of shape about Belkar's actions, or why the rest of the OotS keep him around...he's some gamer's power fantasy, and he has the PC light shining on him.

If he does reform, it will (or should) be along the lines of the power-gamer who is forced into having a backstory:

(other member of the Order): "Belkar, you can't kill him...he looks and acts just like your foster father, who took you in as a child and raised you as his own."

Belkar (in a flat, stilted voice): "Ah yes, my poor, sainted foster dad. I could never harm anyone who so reminds me of him.
I'll get you later, you rat ba*d...
"

Perhaps he's not truly evil' date=' but just Chaotic Neutral? I point to the fact that in strip # 281, he had the opportunity to kill the paladin that was hounding them while she was unconscious. Instead, he waited around for her to wake up so they could continue their battle.

No, he's evil. Strip #489 actually charted Belkar's Evil-ness measured in KiloNazis.