Order of the Stick

Rapier

Re: Order of the Stick

Exactly.

And wanting to rule is a Lawful drive. "Rule" and "Law" are practically synonyms.

In the context of pre-4E D&D Alignments, I disagree. To rule others does not make the organization one of rigid social casts & classes (part of how I would define a Lawful society). It simply means one person gets to boss everybody else around. If, outside of their obeying that single person they were a lawless group, I wouldn't classify them as Lawful.

Ummm... Sauron was the Dark Lord - THE bad guy. He never had a master (unless you go all the way back to the creation myth, and Eru - at which point everyone was absolute Neutral since Good/Evil didn't exist) and he imposed His Will and ONLY His Will - no laws, no discipline, that was left up to his minions; like Saruman The White whom you seem to be talking about. . .

Saruman set up heirarchies. Sauron just wanted to rule, or conquer.

Umm... yes, Sauron did have a master, go back to the Simarillion. Sauron was just a minion for a greater evil (whose name I forget offhand). And the Big Bad was evil, all right. Slavery, world conquest, murder, theft of artifacts, and even threatening world destruction. All the marks of a good villian were there.

Not to say that everyone fighting the Big Bad was good, mind you...

Er' date=' well. Kinda. the key there is "practically" instead of "actually" synonyms. [i']A Rule[/i] is a synonym for A Law. To Rule is not a synonym for Being Lawful.

LE would use the laws to their own benefit, twisting as needed but still nominally following them.

CE would just make up a law to justify their actions, keeping until it inconvenienced them.

From an Evil Overlord point of view, I tend to think that the Lawful Evil Overlord believes that the Laws he makes have a value of their own, even if he twists those laws when it suits him. The Chaotic Evil Overlord doesn't give a fig about any law, even his own, but gods help you if you defy him.

Not that I'm an alignment system fan; Evil bastards tend to think themselves saints.

A chaotic evil ruler would rule on whim. He is capricious and cruel, and changes his mind easily from one day to the next.

A lawful evil ruler believes in the rule of law. He may make the laws, or he may own the lawmakers body and soul, but everything he does is legal.

A chaotic evil ruler would rule on whim. He is capricious and cruel, and changes his mind easily from one day to the next.

A lawful evil ruler believes in the rule of law. He may make the laws, or he may own the lawmakers body and soul, but everything he does is legal.

Yup. If Lawful Evil Overloard wants you dead, he generally finds a law you've broken (or creates a law) and has you executed. If you've never broken his law, it may even slow down the process; he respects his own system, and believes that the respect others have for his system is useful.

Chaotic Evil Overlord just sends someone over to your house to kill you. He only bothers with a show trial if he thinks it will be more entertaining.

Yup. If Lawful Evil Overloard wants you dead, he generally finds a law you've broken (or creates a law) and has you executed. If you've never broken his law, it may even slow down the process; he respects his own system, and believes that the respect others have for his system is useful.

Chaotic Evil Overlord just sends someone over to your house to kill you. He only bothers with a show trial if he thinks it will be more entertaining.

word! i think that really matches my take on it. although i tend to not take as often as i can manage. :D

I kind of wondered

how Rich would handle that fight. Belkar is a Ranger/Barbarian, which gives him only a moddest advantage as far as HP, BAB and Attacks per round compared with the two Rogues (not sure what extras a 3.5 Assassin gets). Haley's nemesis may be one level higher than Haley and probably Belkar, and her ex-boss is at least four levels higher than Haley. We can assume that all of them are fully decked out in magical gear. Just from a gaming point of view, Belkar could lose this one.

Of course, he gets a Sexy Shoeless God of War bonus, which probably helps. It may even be a prestige class. ;)

dude. ranger has d8's in 3.5, and barbarian gets the mighty d12, plus both get the best BAB and i believe both get the best REF saves. rogues get d6's and the middle BAB. Belkar should totally own, as long as he doesn't get flanked, even with them being higher level. not to mention he gets an AC bonus for being small.

magically goodies could even the fight. but still.

oh yea, and i reiterate, BELKAR IS THE MASTER!

which makes him a rogue killing machine. they won't even see whats coming. and then they'll have little X's in their eyes like all others who attract the attention of the Belkar.

although, part of me also wonders if we will see anymore of his devious nature assert itself now. i can almost imagine convincing the two rogues offing each other at Belkar's goading, as we've have already seen they have differing opinions and maybe even don't like each other very much.

although' date=' part of me also wonders if we will see anymore of his devious nature assert itself now. i can almost imagine convincing the two rogues offing each other at Belkar's goading, as we've have already seen they have differing opinions and maybe even don't like each other very much.[/quote']

I think we are already seeing it:

That's what loyal teammates do for each other, isn't it?

Ha! Belkar had a training montage on how to game the system... while in a curse-induced coma!

:)

I know Beklar has ranks in tumble' date=' and probably has several feats that take advantage of his naturallly higher dex.[/quote']

Not to mention that he seems to be on Full Defense -- he hasn't attacked (other than the initial leap into the scene) or drawn blood at all. And IIRC this is the first time he *hasn't* used two weapons. Not to mention that shield that the Guild Leader was using is very likely magical.