Order of the Stick

Rapier

Re: Order of the Stick

Stupid Good. Paladins aren't pacifists. That Celia suddenly is' date=' after a lifetime in a world where life is cheap and death a change of address, is annoying.[/quote']

Then again, she's been portrayed as pretty naive the entire time. She started off hanging out in Dorukan's dungeon, not really doing anything, then went to law school.

It's been pretty consistently displayed that she's clueless, not knowing that the OOtS can't shoot lightning out of their fingers, for example. She gave Roy a talisman he couldn't break, and was surprised when Haley couldn't feel magic by the tingling in her teeth.

I don't have any problems with her acting that way, as it's really consistent with how she's acted.

Crowd Control -- like Fireball? :winkgrin:

Heh.

But if she's serious about wanting to role-play a total pacifist, pack wands of Polymorph Other or Sleep or Hold Person. Or Tanglefoot bags. Dunno if there's a D&D equivalent of the mini-Cyclone spell or Entangling Roots that WoW Druids can cast, but there's another option.

Boom. Sentient mook challenges are overcome without betraying your pacifist principles (ergo XP gained without killing) and without being a detriment to the rest of the group.

Heh.

But if she's serious about wanting to role-play a total pacifist, pack wands of Polymorph Other or Sleep or Hold Person. Or Tanglefoot bags. Dunno if there's a D&D equivalent of the mini-Cyclone spell or Entangling Roots that WoW Druids can cast, but there's another option.

Boom. Sentient mook challenges are overcome without betraying your pacifist principles (ergo XP gained without killing) and without being a detriment to the rest of the group.

true. although i had a pacifist cleric/abjurist wizard (gave up necromancy and evocation) who got by well with mostly just abjuration spells, heal spells, and hefty use of the "aid other" action to boost allies AC. the only damage spells that she packed only worked against undead. she was devoted to Hod, the norse god of Cold and Mercy. her twin sister, on the other hand, was a evoker wizard/palidin devoted to Odin, who was the exact opposite and blew up everything... sometimes twice.

my character also had several vows from the Book of Exalted Deeds, most notably Poverty and Nonviolence. so i could not have packed anything other than my walking stick and the clothes on my back. that game kicked so much tail...

*sage waxes nostolgic...*

Guys' date=' guys, Celia is a GMPC and it's Haley's turn to shine. If Rich went all Belkarific with Celia's powers she would mop up the place with the Thieves Guild and there would be nothing left but disgruntled players.[/quote']

very true. i know i keep my GMPCs on a very short leash, and often have something "important to them" come up right around the time something big will happen, to keep them from interfering to much in the fight. or have them "stay behind to guard the camp" or "find another way around" or "ugh, that guy is my worst enemy evar, i must duel him to the exclusion of all the cool stuff you guys are doing" or something like that...

:nonp:

Team player Belkar frightens me.

Ayup. I wonder how long this will last.

"I'm gonna go find my cat."

And seriously, that was the tail end of a rockin compound insult.

Er...ehem.

On the other hand, the battle with Miko showed us that Belkar always enjoyed inflicting pain on multiple levels; nice to see him building on that side of his personality. :)

D&D has magical weapons with minty freshness now?

Sometimes I'm glad I bailed out on the system when I did

(Which was BEFORE anyone ever heard of "THAC0" an idea I understand has already come and gone. Whatever it meant.)

Lucius Alexander

And a +5 Holy Palindromedary

D&D has magical weapons with minty freshness now?

Not to my knowledge. It does have weapons that deliver a jolt of energy damage when they hit, including cold damage, which is what the strip appears to be using.

(Which was BEFORE anyone ever heard of "THAC0" an idea I understand has already come and gone. Whatever it meant.)

"To hit AC 0". Someone realized that the 1e To Hit charts could be reduced to simply knowing the number required to hit an armor class of 0, from which you could simply subtract the target's AC to determine the number you needed to hit. It was coupled with removal of the repetitive 20's on the chart. Reducing the five charts used historically with a one liner modified based on class, level and hit dice was, in my view, a step forward.

I don't recall whether that was the point where "natural 20 always hits" was introduced to replace the old chart concept that 20 was reiterated 6 times, or if it simply required you have a 22 modified roll if that was what was required to hit the target.