Order of the Stick

Rapier

Re: Order of the Stick

I'd be very careful about entering into a time-based deal with beings who've shown they can stop time. :eek:

Very true. And even if that isn't enough to worry about, doesn't time progress at different rates on different planes? It may be an hour with each one, but an hour *there* might not be the same as an hour *here*.

Still waiting for the four right words to the right person at the right time for the wrong reasons. Unless that last' date=' halting line was supposed to be it...[/quote']

The cartoon was called "The Wrong Reasons." And this qualifies. Again, V took the offer not to save his family, which is a worthy reason, since he apparently had another route to do that.

JG

"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions." is usually aimed at those who think they *aren't* going to go to hell because of their good intentions.

V *knows* he's going to go there, and is still willing to make the sacrifice.

If V were truly smart, after making short work of the Dragon, he'd zip over to Azure city and eliminate Zykon permanently, then find Haley, Belkar and Roy's remains.

Nope, Rich is forcing it. His "alternative" can go wrong at any stage, catastrophically so. V's best chance to save her family is still the deal with dark powers. Sure, there's false pride and sleep deprivation at work as well, but the "good" plan starts with

"kill yourself"

and is followed by

trust an Evil Imp, and then trust someone who may or may not have the right spell memorized today to raise you before your kids are dead and soul bound, and then trust a master you haven't seen in years to get your call for help, believe it, and be both willing and in a position to do something about it in time.

I wouldn't gamble my kids lives and souls on that string of maybes. You could argue that V is making the choice mainly out of pride and not because she sees that the alternative is absurd; that's probably where Rich is coming from. Still smells like writers/GMs railroading.

Most 'deals with the devil' are railroading.
And are thus generally poor storytelling.
This is deliberately appealing to V's pride and fear of embarrassment and/or loss of power.

JG

Yes. It's still a GM / writer railroading the characters. I'm not taking the position "V would never do that"; I'm annoyed to see a weak sequence in Rich's generally strong story.

Well' date=' yeah. He's Lucifer, and he thinks he can do a better job than God. :D[/quote']

(Except of course that the references to Lucifer, the serpent, and Satan in the Hebrew Bible are all unrelated until the later Christian combination of the concepts into one uberbad. :D )