Order of the Stick

Rapier

Re: Order of the Stick

But if we accept that the main motivation was pride' date=' rather than the disinterested calculation of the best course for saving her family, [/quote']Bingo! I think that V puts forward this pragmatic front, but has other things (pride in magic) behind his/her actions.

Interesting plotline...

Not at all. But what is the

Disjunction

spell?

I predict that after he deals with the Dragon (love the surprised look on it's face!), he'll have a "discussion" with his family where either he'll be reminded of himself enough to voluntarily end the splices, or go completely evil.

Not at all. But what is the

Disjunction

spell?

Mordenkainen's Disjunction

Level: 9

Schools: Alteration, Enchantment

Range: 0

Components: V

Duration: Instantaneous

Casting Time: 9

Area of Effect: 30-ft. radius

Saving Throw: Special

When this spell is cast, all magic and magical items within the radius of the spell, except those on the person of or being touched by the spellcaster, are disjoined. That is, spells being cast are separated into their individual components (usually spoiling the effect as a dispel magic spell does), and permanent and enchanted magical items must successfully save (vs. spell if actually cast on a creature, or vs. a dispel magic spell otherwise) or be turned into normal items. Even artifacts and relics are subject to Mordenkainen's disjunction, though there is only a 1% chance per caster experience level of actually affecting such powerful items. Thus, all potions, scrolls, rings, rods, miscellaneous magical items, artifacts and relics, arms and armor, swords, and miscellaneous weapons within 30 feet of the spellcaster can possibly lose all their magical properties when the Mordenkainen's disjunction spell is cast. The caster also has a 1% chance per level of destroying an antimagic shell. If the shell survives the disjunction, no items within it are disjoined.

Note: Destroying artifacts is a dangerous business, and 95% likely to attract the attention of some powerful being who has an interest or connection with the device. Additionally, if an artifact is destroyed, the casting wizard must roll a successful saving throw vs. spell with a -4 penalty or permanently lose all spellcasting abilities.

1% per level? Sheesh, what does that imply V's new level is? 90?

Oh, I noticed that V said he would lose his soul for the stated duration after he died and before he went on to his eternal reward. The tempters never said that. I wonder if they'll take him for a ride before he expects them to.

Only V can hear the voices in his head. But they are talking about the Dragon.

Or maybe that is just what they want Vaarsuvius to think.

I think the voices in her head are out to get her!

Lucius Alexander

Don't look now, but I'm being followed by a palindromedary...

Well, as of today the strip challenges a lot of fantasy gaming assumptions. As I read V's comments, I'm struck by the fact that (s)he is no better than the Dragon.

But really, it was OOTS who went to the Dragon lair to steal something, and murdered the young dragon who was inconvenient to the completion of their theft. The vengeance plan of Momma Dragon doesn't enjoy a lot of moral high ground, but she's not the one who started the cycle, is she? How much sympathy would we have for the burglar who kills the hero's child in the opening scenes of a modern action movie?