Order of the Stick

Rapier

Re: Order of the Stick

Familicide has that whiff of a spell greenlit by the GM who didn't realize just how extensive it's effects could be on a long-lived species like dragons. This spells reach and breadth makes me think the undead dragonhead might be only one or two generations from Tiamat or some god level creature. V may have just bitten off more than he can chew' date=' even Delta V.[/quote']

I think you are taking the name "Familicide" a bit too literally. In OOts, the bodies of all the dragon's I've seen were black, and the "color" of the dragon was denoted by the eyes & wings. It'd be kinda hard to show expressions on a dragon with a black body and black eyes, so purple was chosen for them.

Every dragon pictured killed by Familicide had non-metallic eye color. No Gold, Silver, Bronze, Copper, etc... Plenty of other colors -- purple (black), red, green, blue...

So V's dragon wasn't the progenetor of all of the evil dragon's, but "just" an Ancient Black Dragon.

I think you are taking the name "Familicide" a bit too literally. In OOts, the bodies of all the dragon's I've seen were black, and the "color" of the dragon was denoted by the eyes & wings. It'd be kinda hard to show expressions on a dragon with a black body and black eyes, so purple was chosen for them.

Every dragon pictured killed by Familicide had non-metallic eye color. No Gold, Silver, Bronze, Copper, etc... Plenty of other colors -- purple (black), red, green, blue...

So V's dragon wasn't the progenetor of all of the evil dragon's, but "just" an Ancient Black Dragon.

No, casualplayer was insinuating of going UP the chain to Tiamat, not just down the chain to children etc.

Not when I played D&D' date=' but of course, that was 20 years ago.[/quote']

It has been made fairly clear they are playing using 3.5 ruleset.

Unless they changed it in 4th ed' date=' I do believe that Cure Light Wounds was a Necromantic spell. IIRC, in D&D Necromantic didn't mean "evil death magic", but "Magic dealing with Life/Unlife".[/quote']

Cure Light Wounds

Conjuration (Healing)

In reading some of the spell-lists I think the Necromancy = Evil may have been a house rule (or a rule brought in from a variant ruleset) we used. Still, the spell was pretty clearly evil.

In reading some of the spell-lists I think the Necromancy = Evil may have been a house rule (or a rule brought in from a variant ruleset) we used. Still' date=' the spell was pretty clearly evil.[/quote']

IIRC, the only 0 level Necromantic spell inflicts damage on the undead. Is that Evil?

IIRC in 3.0/3.5 Necromancy spells all deal with death/undeath. So you can have non-evil necromancy spells' date=' just not many.[/quote']

Is it Evil to reanimate dead Nazis/Orcs as Zombies to defend the innocent townsfolk from live Nazis/Orcs? I suppose it is if we have a rule that says "Evil is Objective and this is Evil".

IIRC' date=' the only 0 level Necromantic spell inflicts damage on the undead. Is that Evil?[/quote']

asked and answered

In reading some of the spell-lists I think the Necromancy = Evil may have been a house rule (or a rule brought in from a variant ruleset) we used. Still' date=' the spell was pretty clearly evil.[/quote']

Is it Evil to reanimate dead Nazis/Orcs as Zombies to defend the innocent townsfolk from live Nazis/Orcs? I suppose it is if we have a rule that says "Evil is Objective and this is Evil".

And this is one example that summarizes why we went with that houserule. We have a player in our group that will seek out every exception and there are two ways to deal with it a) heartburn and misery for the GM, B) steelboot of GM fiat.

That depends on whether you believe the mere act of creating undead is an inherently evil act - regardless of the intended use; either as an affront to the Gods, or ones own ethics.

Do the ends justify the means or is there more to it than that?

I do believe that many DnD worlds assume that creating Undead is, in and of itself, inherently evil. But I'm not 100% on that.

In my own Fantasy Hero world (which started out, once upon a time, as a D&D world), creating Undead for any purpose is inherently evil. Undead are, in fact, the only thing in my world that can be objectively defined as "Evil." Pretty much all the religions (even the ones that perform arguably evil acts, like human sacrifice) agree on that one thing.

But that's just my world. Other games have other groundrules. I've played in games where raising skeletons was just a thing that wizards and/or priests could do, no big deal. :)

So' date=' Lord Soon and all those ghost members of the Sapphire Guard protecting the Gate were Evil then? ;)[/quote']

There's a distinction between Divine Intervention (i.e. your God resurrecting you as a spectre) and Creating Undead as a mortal.

no smarmy smiley added.

So' date=' Lord Soon and all those ghost members of the Sapphire Guard protecting the Gate were Evil then? ;)[/quote']

In my game, yes. Ghosts are evil and hungry for the living.

Rich's world apparently is a bit more nuanced than that. I can't speak for him to say exactly what his rules are.

That depends on whether you believe the mere act of creating undead is an inherently evil act - regardless of the intended use; either as an affront to the Gods, or ones own ethics.

Do the ends justify the means or is there more to it than that?

I do believe that many DnD worlds assume that creating Undead is, in and of itself, inherently evil. But I'm not 100% on that.

Not sure about that. I remember that in 3.5 somewhere there were rules for Good Aligned intelligent unded.

In my game, yes. Ghosts are evil and hungry for the living.

Rich's world apparently is a bit more nuanced than that. I can't speak for him to say exactly what his rules are.

In my world, Ghosts are hungry for the great taste of Spoo! Spoo: It's what's for dinner!

There's a distinction between Divine Intervention (i.e. your God resurrecting you as a spectre) and Creating Undead as a mortal.

Where does using an Animate Dead spell granted to you by your deity fall into that spectrum? Clerical spells come from the deity, after all. Would the God of Sweetness and Light grant an inherently evil spell?