Order of the Stick

Rapier

Re: Order of the Stick

Actually' date=' I'll change my prediction. I think Xyclon is going to consider [b']this[/b] the moment he needs to unleash the Monster in the Shaddows.

And we'll find out how effective O-chul was.

Well, if V is at least equal to X in power now, that's what I would do.

JG

"Oh you poor, dumb elf, don't you get it?"

Seriously, Xykon is the Real Deal. And V will be lucky to get out of this only dead.

Agreed. Xykon has shown himself not to just be an a bad ass evil, but frighteningly self aware about his nature, and pretty damn insightful about others. Roy had it right, the lich is smarter than he looks. Among other things, Xykon knows the value of allies, as Redcloak's aid definitely puts this fight in favor of our undead baddie.

I hope O-Chul (or barring that, the MitD) can somehow turn the tide for V so he/she at least escapes, but whether that would be enough I'm not sure.

"Oh you poor, dumb elf, don't you get it?"

Seriously, Xykon is the Real Deal. And V will be lucky to get out of this only dead.

Maybe he could say "Hi" to Roy before Roy gets Raised. V vs Xykon will be over before Durkon finishes his spell. :doi:

I'm wondering if V won't be put on a bench for a while. Xykon is known to trap the souls of some powerful opponents in a jemstone after killing them.

And we then open up a whole bunch of "threes a crowd" jokes involving the souls already in the Jem. :D

Agreed. Xykon has shown himself not to just be an a bad ass evil, but frighteningly self aware about his nature, and pretty damn insightful about others. Roy had it right, the lich is smarter than he looks. Among other things, Xykon knows the value of allies, as Redcloak's aid definitely puts this fight in favor of our undead baddie.

I think one of the best quotes (and scenes in general) for Xykon is back in the Start of Darkness, when he says (during a fight):

but see, I've learned a lot over the years since I died. A lot more than I learned during my life. And now I see that planning doesn't matter. Strategy doesn't matter.

Only two things matter: Force in as great a concentration as you can manage, and style. And in a pinch, style can slide.

Energy drain!

In any battle, there's always a level of force against which no tactics can succeed.

Xykon isn't stupid. He says that he doesn't care for tactics, or subtlety, or planning, and has no patience. But that's not the same thing as being stupid. He's just incredibly direct in his problem-solving methods, and tends to go with his first idea, trusting on his ability to concentrate force in order to ensure success.

A thing I've thought of is that Roy somehow hitches himself to V. I have no idea what exactly that would accomplish for V, but it's got to be something. (Of course that would only be for probably another nine minutes or so...) Otherwise, I got nothin.

I like that

Xykon goes easier on "Good" enemies. Sure, he is an absolutely Evil bastard, but he has a sense of drama. I think he was really looking forward to Roy coming back one day and giving him a good fight, which he of course expected to win. It would have been entertaining, in an Unlife where entertainment is hard to come by. But some random punk looking to take his rep? No long term fun there. Better to squish the challenger rather than play.

The best V can hope for is some time in a cage until the big X decides what to do with her.

Is that possible in DnD? Like a level drain of some kind? (I really don't know my spells)

It's been a while, but there was something called Mordenkainen's Disjunction. But now that I recall correctly, that was the one that had a side effect that it would strip your OWN magic powers if you used it on an artifact.

The only way in (pre-4th Edition) D&D to take someone's spell capacity completely is to Feeblemind them.

JG

The best way to do something like that in DnD is the tool one always used when they needed to do something that wasn't explicite:

GM Fiat.

Usually in the form of a Custom Spell or an Artifact.

And remember - in the world of Rock-Paper-Scissors ... Concrete Beats Magic.