Order of the Stick

Rapier

Re: Order of the Stick

New one up.

I have to remember to not read e-mail notifications of this particular thread. Spoiler tag doesn't work.

Not that it matters in this case, since you didn't reveal anything, and if I had figured out what you were referring to it wouldn't have been a surprise.

Good grief, I was just reading through the recent threads over there and there are people that aplaud Eugene's most recent action. Can anyone explain how from either a moral or pragmatic viewpoint what he did was remotely reasonable, because I don't get it.

With spoiler tags, please, though I doubt if anyone here hasn't read it yet. I'd ask over there, but I don't want to resurrect the appropriate thread.

Eugene is Roy's dad (and a Grade A dick), who destroyed the info on V's turn to the dark side that he was supposed to pass onto Roy.

Simply put, he doesn't care what the cost is so long as Xykon bites it. And he doesn't even have "the greater good" as an excuse. He's just a selfish [bLEEP].

There are different interpretations of "good". If V turns, and his turning saves thousands of innocent souls, that sounds like the classic "greatest good for the greatest number" typically associated with the "Lawful Good" alignment. That said, Eugene (regardless of alignment) is highly focused on Xykon's fall, and he's willing to make a lot of compromises to achieve that.

I'd also suggest we've seen nothing to suggest Eugene is Good, other than the fact that his enemy is evil. It seems more likely he's neutral (even if he may have begun as Good, or with good intentions), and the destruction of Xykon takes priority over all else.

He's just making sure that V has someone to walk with on the way down...

heh heh heh, that's a good one.

There are different interpretations of "good". If V turns' date=' and his turning saves thousands of innocent souls, that sounds like the classic "greatest good for the greatest number" typically associated with the "Lawful Good" alignment. That said, Eugene (regardless of alignment) is highly focused on Xykon's fall, and he's willing to make a lot of compromises to achieve that.[/quote']

Like I said, moral or pragmatic. He doesn't have to be both for people to applaud him. But, pragmatically or morally, I think that Roy not knowing that V's soul is potentially in the hands of the forces of Evil is going to bite them, hard.

Then again, there may not be anything they could have done about it, anyway.

But, yes, that's a good point, perhaps they're thinking that this is a grand sacrifice on his and V's part to make the world a better place. Don't see it actually happening, though.

But, yes, that's a good point, perhaps they're thinking that this is a grand sacrifice on his and V's part to make the world a better place. Don't see it actually happening, though.

I object to it on principle and pragmatism. As a matter of principle, I think Roy deserves to to be apprised of the situation, regardless of whether or not he can even do anything about it. Your leaders need all the info you can give them.

Pragmatic- if he's actually turning EVIL, then he's likely to end up hurting the cause more than helping it.

Additionally... I don't buy the noble sacrifice bit on Eugene's part since it's not his sacrifice to make. There is nothing noble about sacrificing someone you don't know to serve your own selfish ends. V can look for moral highground there (I'm not saying he'll find it). Not Eugene.

I object to it on principle and pragmatism. As a matter of principle' date=' I think Roy deserves to to be apprised of the situation, regardless of whether or not he can even do anything about it. Your leaders need all the info you can give them.[/quote']

Pretty much my opinion of the situation, but now I understand how someone could come to cheer the rat. Just because I understand a viewpoint doesn't mean I'll let the little jerk off the hook, though :)

There is a trend in our society to say "Never snitch on a friend." I hate that trend with all my heart, but there it is. Anyway, I could see Eugene seeing V as a kindred spirit, if not a friend (since they don't know each other personally), and therefore someone he should avoid snitching on.