Order of the Stick

Rapier

Re: Order of the Stick

"I'm pretty sure that logically, there would be a lot less warfare in the world."

Yeah, one would think.

jg

He might be right. When's the last time you or anyone you personally know fought in a battle? What would be your answer if you were a D&D character, even an NPC?

He might be right. When's the last time you or anyone you personally know fought in a battle? What would be your answer if you were a D&D character' date=' even an NPC?[/quote']

I have friends in Iraq and Afghanistan. So, for someone I know personally, now.

As to me, I've been mugged a few times and did a lot of absurd brawling in my teens and some in my twenties, but I've been a man of peace for at least 11 years (depending on what we look at as a battle). If a battle has to include person A trying to kill person B, then I haven't been in one for about twenty years, unless you count one of the more recent attempted muggings (and then no one was really interested in killing me).

And suddenly there's this new group of Elves heading into Azure City (?). Who are they? What do they want? How will they and the Order react when they inevitably meet? is this going to be Miko all over again?

By the way, I had lunch with one of my sisters yesterday and she was telling me how much she loved OOTS -- at least the books she has (the first one and the Origin of PCs prequel, which I gave her for Christmas a couple of years ago). But she hasn't been reading the webcomic and didn't know there were two other books available. I don't know for sure what she'll think of the Order's more recent adventures, but I plan to find out.

One saving throw at a time.

Best. NPC. Ever.

The reward for Best Single Line Spoken by an NPC goes to... And yet, some people don't see his greatness and think he's a male Mary Sue. What a world, what a world.

My favorite line in the strip, though, was in Elan's decision and the tortured logic he used to get there.

I wonder if Elan is shivering in the fetal position after listening to Haley's story?

Possibly not. t's very in genre for the good but naive character to fall in love with the much more jaded and even ruthless one, and actually have those feelings returned. Viewed that way, it's almost inevitable that she not turn out to be, well, as nice as him.

The reward for Best Single Line Spoken by an NPC goes to... And yet' date=' some people don't see his greatness and think he's a male Mary Sue. What a world, what a world.[/quote']

There is a fine line between Mary Sue and Total Bad @$$.

If O'Chul were the main character, had defeated Xykon, gotten the girl, never scarred, and walked home... he'd be a Mary Sue.

If O'Chul were the main character, had defeated Xykon, gotten the girl, never scarred, and walked home... he'd be a Mary Sue.

And a true Mary Sue wouldn't need a Monster in Darkness whisking him away to save his ### :)

and...it would help if Mary Sue was the main character in fan fiction.

If the main character does all those things..they're called "The Hero."

(especially if they're played by Steven Segal)

Who knew being a lich's punching bag was good for gaining XP.

But O'Chul probably could beat Chuck Norris.

He got some hefty quest and role playing rewards. One for surviving, one for "turning" the monster in the darkness, another for delivering the info, probably one or two more. They add up fast. ;)

and...it would help if Mary Sue was the main character in fan fiction.

If the main character does all those things..they're called "The Hero."

(especially if they're played by Steven Segal)

Steven Segal crossed the line a long time ago, hero or not.

Y'know, I wonder. Just what is holding Zykon's arms into his sockets, and how strong is it? His head came off fairly easily, after all. Just run up to him, grab, yank and *pop* no arms. No arms means now somatic component spells, and even if it doesn't have that component, you often still need an arm to aim with, right?

:eg: