Order of the Stick

Rapier

Re: Order of the Stick

I have a feeling they're going to eventually regret killing that Hobgoblin prisoner out of hand.

Lucius Alexander

The palindomedary is still wondering why, since the Goblins were having a party, they hadn't staffed the prison with a literal "skeleton crew."

From at least Start of Darkness, Burlew has been attacking the alighment system. And with good reason, as its intellectual incoherence and moral bankruptcy has been quite satisfactorily hashed out. Redcloak represents one aspect of the problem: the assertion that "evil" can have a soteriological and social programme. That is, extra-evil people are more likely to go to Evil Heaven than the less evil, and evil is also socially functional. Good people committing genocide, or in this case murdering prisoners, are the flip side of the problem. We reap as we sow, and Azure City will never be liberated. Thanh is going to be Moses, leading his people free, not the liberator.

Will Redcloak eventually stand up for himself? Surely. He is the tragic hero of the epic, and his arc would be meaningless unless he confronts his actions. That said, he is flawed by one inescapable, ongoing evil act, and that is not his treatment of Right-Eye, much less his role in the ongoing Manichaean struggle: it his consistent treatment of the MitD as a means to an end. This is truly oblivious, self-regarding, evil behaviour. That said, MitD is bound up with Right-Eye's family and Redcloak's one hitherto-successful act of defiance against Xykon, I expect the return of Right-Eye's children, the revelation of the MitD's true nature to precipitate Redcloak's redemptive betrayal of Xykon. Unless that's all too neatly cut and dried, and we end up finishing Order of the Stick with the same, unsatisfied, "that's if?" feeling we had at the end of Bone.

From at least Start of Darkness' date=' [/i']Burlew has been attacking the alighment system. And with good reason, as its intellectual incoherence and moral bankruptcy has been quite satisfactorily hashed out. Redcloak represents one aspect of the problem: the assertion that "evil" can have a soteriological and social programme. That is, extra-evil people are more likely to go to Evil Heaven than the less evil, and evil is also socially functional. Good people committing genocide, or in this case murdering prisoners, are the flip side of the problem. We reap as we sow, and Azure City will never be liberated. Thanh is going to be Moses, leading his people free, not the liberator.

Will Redcloak eventually stand up for himself? Surely. He is the tragic hero of the epic, and his arc would be meaningless unless he confronts his actions. That said, he is flawed by one inescapable, ongoing evil act, and that is not his treatment of Right-Eye, much less his role in the ongoing Manichaean struggle: it his consistent treatment of the MitD as a means to an end. This is truly oblivious, self-regarding, evil behaviour. That said, MitD is bound up with Right-Eye's family and Redcloak's one hitherto-successful act of defiance against Xykon, I expect the return of Right-Eye's children, the revelation of the MitD's true nature to precipitate Redcloak's redemptive betrayal of Xykon. Unless that's all too neatly cut and dried, and we end up finishing Order of the Stick with the same, unsatisfied, "that's if?" feeling we had at the end of Bone.

1. I owe you reputation. I should come back and reputize this later.

2. Mr. Burlew owes you a commission. You just sold one copy of Start of Darkness, as soon as I can get it.

3. After reading Start of Darkness, I plan to start reading Heart of Darkness, one of the classics I had not yet gotten around to. Not that it likely has any bearing....

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that sometimes Burlew actually makes the alignment system look workable.

Then there's the entire storyline with Miko. For a long time she was the model of Lawful Good, but that didn't stop her from committing atrocities in the name of "good". It took a truly extreme act for her Gods to finally punish her, and to the end she believed she was carrying out the true intent of her alignment.

The fourth-edition version of Fantasy HERO had some arch words for this sort of behavior -- with statements like "What does good mean when paladins slay kobold children for Experience Points?" (I'm paraphrasing, but you get the idea.)