The Beverly Hillbillies

starblaze

Just to prove that you can make anything using the Hero System. I decided to give the Beverly Hillbillies a shot. Any criticisms or comments would be helpful.

Jedidiah Clampett

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

13 STR 3 12- Lift 151.6kg; 2 1/2d6 HTH damage [3]

14 DEX 12 12- OCV: 5/DCV: 5

18 CON 16 13-

14 BODY 8 12-

17 INT 7 12- PER Roll 12-

14 EGO 8 12- ECV: 5

10 PRE 0 11- PRE Attack: 2d6

14 COM 2 12-

8 PD 5 Total: 8 PD (0 rPD)

5 ED 1 Total: 5 ED (0 rED)

3 SPD 6 Phases: 4, 8, 12

7 REC 0

36 END 0

30 STUN 0 Total Characteristics Cost: 68

Movement: Running: 6"/[Noncombat]"

Leaping: 2 1/2"/[Noncombat]"

Swimming: 2"/[Noncombat]"

Cost Powers END

Perks

11 Money: Filthy Rich

Skills

2 Animal Handler (Canines) 11-

3 Climbing 12-

9 +3 with Rifles

3 Concealment 12-

3 Deduction 12-

2 Navigation (Land) 12-

16 Penalty Skill Levels: +8 vs. Range Modifier with a Rifle

3 Stealth 12-

10 Survival (Mountain) 16-

13 Tracking 17-

2 WF: Rifles, Shotguns

5 CuK: Mountain People 14-

3 PS: Square Dancing 12-

Total Powers & Skills Cost: 85

Total Cost: 153

75+ Disadvantages

10 Psychological Limitation: Loves his Daughter Ellie Mae (Common, Moderate)

15 Social Limitation: Doesn't understand City/Beverly Hills culture (Very Frequently, Minor)

15 Psychological Limitation: Shy around women, gets flustered when hit on. (Common, Strong)

10 Distinctive Features: Dresses like a Hillbilly in Beverly Hills (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

25 Mountian Man bonus

Total Disadvantage Points: 153

Re: The Beverly Hillbillies

I think I would boost Jed's strength somewhat, perhaps as high as 18. In the few stories where some type of physical exertion or conflict was involved, the Clampetts were all shown to be strong as horses and capable brawlers. Even Granny might have STR 13, and Jethro would certainly be 20 or higher.

Hero System no longer uses the "Character Bonus"; just put in "Experience."

And I'm not so sure how useful Ellie Mae's animal followers would actually be (nor how expensive), but probably not as much as Cap thinks.

I also wonder if he might not be worth a Reputation bonus, or maybe a minor Hunted (I'm trying to remember the banker's attitude toward him).

WoW, Hero write-up you thought you'd never see but here they are!

hey, wasn't there an episode where they were shooting guns in the backyard and bouncing them off the rocks and such making all kinds of ricochet shots?

Also, don't forget the family is some rather mean wraslin' folk too! so some martial arts might not be outta place.

Jedidiah Clampett

Jed. Pa.

Val Char Cost

13 STR 3

14 DEX 12

18 CON 16

14 BODY 8

17 INT 7

14 EGO 8

10 PRE 0

14 COM 2

8 PD 5

5 ED 1

3 SPD 6

7 REC 0 Saved: Mon, 15 May 2006 11:31:49

Campaign:

Genre:

GM:

36 END 0

30 STUN 0

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

2 1/2" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 68

Cost Skill

2 Animal Handler (Canines) 11-

3 Climbing 12-

9 +3 with Rifles

3 Concealment 12-

3 Deduction 12-

2 Navigation (Land) 12-

16 Penalty Skill Levels: +8 vs. Range Modifier with a Rifle

3 Stealth 12-

10 Survival (Mountain) 16-

13 Tracking 17-

2 WF: Rifles, Shotguns

5 CuK: Mountain People 14-

3 PS: Square Dancing 12-

Skills Cost: 74

Cost Perk

11 Money: Filthy Rich

Perks Cost: 11

Val Disadvantages

10 Psychological Limitation: Loves his Daughter Ellie Mae (Common, Moderate)

15 Social Limitation: Doesn't understand City/Beverly Hills culture (Very Frequently, Minor)

15 Psychological Limitation: Shy around women, gets flustered when hit on. (Common, Strong)

10 Distinctive Features: Dresses like a Hillbilly in Beverly Hills (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses) [Notes: The higher difficulty comes from the fact that Jed doesn't like to change the way he dresses.]

25 Mountian Man bonus

Disadvantage Points: 75

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cost Summary: Base Points:75 Disadvantage Points: 75 Experience Required: 3 Total Experience Available: 3 Total Character Cost: 153

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Height: 1.91 m Hair: Blonde, greying

Weight: 75.00 kg Eyes: Blue

Appearance:

Personality: Jed seems to a gentle, peaceful soul. He prefers to spend his time sitting in front of his mansion widdling with his hound dog and maybe going fishing. His main concern is keeping the family together and getting his daughter Ellie Mae to be more ladylike and married off to a feller. He has no real desire to get married himself unless it's to help out his daughter by getting her a mother. He actually tends to get somewhat flustered when women persue him.

Quote:"Well, doggy!"

Background: Jedidiah Clampett (called Jed by nearly everyone but his daughter who calls her Pa), was as the song said, a poor mountaineer, who barely kept his family fed. He lived in the Ozarks in a town called Bugtussle with his mother-in-law Daisy Mae Moses and his daughter Ellie Mae. He was a widower although we never actually find out how she died. One day his life changed when he went hunting for rabbit and missed his shot causing oil to gush out of the ground. Once that happened Jed was persuaded by her cousing Pearl to go to Caifornia to live in Beverly Hills. He then deposited his millions after the OK Oil Company gave him a ton of money for the land.

Powers/Tactics: Jed is a born and bred mountain man and is therefore a hardy breed of man. He is very skilled in living off the land and is an incredible shot with a rifle. He of course does not start any fight and prefers to reason with most people. It is assumed that he would fight to protect his family and particulary Ellie Mae.

Campaign Use:

Just wanted to include info on the character. I am thinking either Jethro or Granny for the next one. How would you write up that rehmetism medicine she makes?

Hmm... how do you write up grain alcohol strong enough to strip paint?

Have to think about that. ;)

Don't forget Jethro's mother' date=' Pearl Clampett Bodine, and his twin sister, Jethrine.[/quote']

No let's forget about his twin sister......PLEASE. :nonp:

And Jethro will need a lot PSs (familiarities) due to his wanting to be something new nearly every week.

No let's forget about his twin sister......PLEASE. :nonp:

And Jethro will need a lot PSs (familiarities) due to his wanting to be something new nearly every week.

No, really don't think he ever achieved the 8- as a talent agent, a brain surgeon, or a double ought agent.

Here is Jethro, I may have made my skills incomplete but I couldn't remember everything he did.

Jethro Bodine

Val Char Cost

23 STR 16

16 DEX 18

22 CON 28

18 BODY 16

5 INT -5

5 EGO -10

14 PRE 4

16 COM 3

8/18 PD 3

7 ED 3

3 SPD 4

9 REC 0 Saved: Never

Campaign:

Genre:

GM:

44 END 0

48 STUN 7

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

4 1/2" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 87

Cost Power END

6 Thick skull, not much up there to hurt.: Armor (10 PD/0 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (19 Active Points); Activation Roll 8- (-2) 0

Powers Cost: 6

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver

Wrasslin'

4 1) Escape: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 38 STR vs. Grabs

3 2) Hold: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, 33 STR for holding on

4 3) Reversal: var Phase, -1 OCV, -2 DCV, 38 STR to Escape; Grab Two Limbs

3 4) Slam: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 4 1/2d6 +v/5, Target Falls

3 5) Take Down: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +1 DCV, 4 1/2d6 Strike; You Fall, Target Falls

Martial Arts Cost: 17

Cost Skill

Sixth grade education, only took me 12 years!

1 1) KS: Actor/Stuntman 8-

1 2) KS: Superspy 8-

1 3) KS: Movie Director/Producer 8-

1 4) KS: Soldier 8-

1 5) KS: Banker 8-

1 6) KS: Medieval Knight 8-

3 Breakfall 12-

3 Climbing 12-

3 Combat Driving 12-

8 +4 with Rifles

3 Concealment 10-

8 Penalty Skill Levels: +5 vs. Range Modifier with a rifle

1 WF: Rifles

Skills Cost: 35

Cost Perk

5 Money: Well Off

Perks Cost: 5

Val Disadvantages

0 Normal Characteristic Maxima

25 Psychological Limitation: Utterly and completely stupid, -3 to all INT based rolls (Very Common, Total)

20 Vulnerability: 2 x Effect Pre-based attacks from beautiful women (Common)

20 Psychological Limitation: Curious and impulsive (Common, Total)

10 Physical Limitation: Always hungry (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)

Disadvantage Points: 75

Cost Summary: Base Points:75 Disadvantage Points: 75 Total Experience Available: 0 Total Character Cost: 150

Height: 1.94 m Hair: Black

Weight: 100.00 kg Eyes: Brown

Appearance:

Personality: Jethro Bodine is about sharp as a sack of wet mice. He thinks of himself as being a genius and therefore has a powerful arrogance as a result. Despite the fact that he is always being outsmarted and has his many ideas blow up in his face he still carries on regardless. He also suffers from a huge never ending appetite for 'vittles' which he can eat by the truckload.

Quote:[Jed and Jehtro are discussing a "fast" girl back in the hills] Uncle Jed, she handed me a big old sugar cookie, looked at me and said, "Jehtro, if you had a choice between that cookie and me, which one would you take". Uncle Jed, that's when I found out just how fast she was!

[Jed leans in close to hear the rest of the story]

I had to run nearly a mile to get away from her with that cookie!

Background: Jethro Bodine is Cousin/Aunt Pearls own son. He has a sister named Jethrene and is cousins with Ellie Mae. He calls Jed, Uncle Jed and tends to look up to him as a father figure. He left with the Clampetts to Beverly Hills when his mother Pearl Bodine lent her truck to help the Clampetts move. She said that they could keep the truck as long as they kept Jethro (this was also a way for Pearl to find a way to get herself invited to visit). Since arriving in California Jethro has involved himself in various professions. He has been a movie director /producer/ actor, knight, superspy, and various other things. These professions are never successful ventures and never last long.

Powers/Tactics: Jethro is a big strong galoot. He can wrassle pretty good as well but not as well as Ellie Mae. He is second only to Uncle Jed and Granny when it comes to shooting.

Campaign Use:

Interesting idea.

I'd give Jethro cramming. 8- in whatever he was checking out that week/adventure.

Jed had a vast understated intelligence. I'd give him some way of spotting and avoiding con jobs and such.

Which leads me to Drysdale. If he could find a way of defrauding the Clampetts out of their fortune he would leap at it, but Jed is too smart (or perhaps too innocent in his way) to let Drysdale get away with whatever he planned. So that would make him a watched. Yet because of his psych limits he is slavishly willing to do whatever Jed needs, so that might make him a 14- well connected contact. Did I just discribe a DNPC here? ;)

Please don't forget long suffering Miss Hathaway.

Midas

No' date=' really don't think he ever achieved the 8- as a talent agent, a brain surgeon, or a double ought agent.[/quote']

True. But, he may have familiarity in baseball pitcher. If I remember he was not signed only because of use of illegal substances on the ball. (Dang, someone should have gotten Gaylord Perry to tutor him. :doi: )

While admittedly a pile of dreck, the Beverly Hillbillies movie had Ellie Mae rasslin' quite effectively... though she does seem a bit taken with "illegal" moves*. I'm looking forward to her writeup.

*"And I call this one [grabs opponent's leg in each hand, then kicks forward forcefully] the Hickory Nutcracker!"

I must admit, I'm curious to see how Ellie turns out. For that matter, Grannie was a tough bird herself. I remember an episode involving pro wrestling where an angry Grannie beat up a whole tag team all by herself.

Hmm, after Beverly Hillbillies, maybe you could do Hogan's Heroes?