Casual Survey: Age of players and Hero's utility vs. other games

I was just curious as to the age of those of us in here interested in Hero System. So, I thought I'd ask.

The reason I'd like to know is to get a thumbnail of wether Hero is a system with appeal to new gamers, and to younger gamers, or more of interest to those who might have picked up Champions "back in the day".

I'm 37, and first bought Champions when it came in a blue box 20 years ago. I never did run a campaign with it, but thought it was theoretically a much better gaming sim tool than D+D, even Advanced. I found Villians & Vigilantes, and did run an excellent campaign with it. That Game is slightly fudgy, but runs smooth as a clock and is very easy for new gamers.

However, I found that to tweak powers the way I wanted them, I had to use 1/2 powers, 1/4 powers, 2x powers, and realized I was back in Hero System. So, recently, I went out and bought Hero Fred revised and Mutants & Masterminds.

What I'm finding is M&M is a great system, in that it uses D+D type stats, has a neat damage system and uses a Hero like point buy system, but lacks a coherent center in terms of mechanics and the rules are all over the book. I could run it, but I'd be fudging all over the place. If I'm gonna "run a game", I want to use a system that actually works. Hero fills that role well, but seems like engineering characters and gadgets takes forever.

Your observations and thoughts would be welcome.

oryan

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Casual Survey: Age of players and Hero's utility vs. other games

I''m 29 and ive been paying Hero system when it came in 2 flavors champions the BBB amd hero system guidebook a shortened version of the same rules without the superhero campaign filler. Ive enjoyed it since then since its an all purpose one size fits all system that has been refines over many years.

I started in on Hero when I was 30 - this past november, as a matter of fact, so the system (IMO) can appeal to anyone with more than two brain cells, willing to do some work and not content to be led by the nose.

So. Meh. Age is immaterial, it's attitude.

I am 39, and have been playing Champions almost as long as it has been around! I believe I started playing in 1982...

I have looked at other superhero games, but this is the only on that has appealed to me!

Now, I will admit, I have been playing D&D in different flavors probably since 1979 or so, but I still like HERO better! The versatility is without compare!

36, been playing Champions and then HERO for something like 23 or 24 years.

How easy it is for new gamers to come in as players depends on the GM. I've had plenty of new players at convention games and when I was GMing odd pick up games overseas, and they had no problems. Hand them an easy to play character and keep the combats fast and simple; they'll be fine.

For GMs, its a tougher job. Still, HERO System has a huge number of pre-made characters, settings. spells and gadgets available in supplements and free online at sites like Surbrook's Stuff or Killer Shrike's. That level of company and fan support has always been a strength of the system. Add in something like the Hero Designer software and even character creation becomes a fairly quick process.

It's not as easy as teaching someone Rissus, but it's not all that tough.

I'm 39, I played my first game circa 1988 or 89, using third edition rules. That was back when it was all just called Champions. :)

I've played off and on since then.

I'm attracted to Hero because 1) the people here seem far more sane than the average netizen, and 2) other game companies seem to be in a mode of re-issuing slightly revised editions with a few new, incompatible rules and calling it "new material." Hero doesn't do that.

I am 36 and have been playing Hero since 3rd Ed. I have played several other systems, but few have as coherent a system and none have the flexibility of Hero. I would still play another system if someone else ran it, but I will always prefer a Hero-based game.

I haven't decided whether to teach my kids the Hero system once they are old enough (or at least able to read) and run the risk of them thinking it is square like their old man, or if I should pretend it is some kind of subversive activity so that they will just be naturally drawn to it.

Insanity is hereditary. You get it from your children.

Oddhat--

OMG, you mentioned Risus. Now that's an easy game, but it isn't just "fudgy", its fudge covered fudge ice cream floating in a fudge fondue.

Risus is as crisp as last summers potato chips.

Seriously, Risus is a lot of fun, and about a half click from "cops and robbers"

oryan

I'm 28.

I've been an AD&D player since I was 12, but really lost interest in D&D after d20 came out and it killed my mood (I just don't like many of the things they've been doing with the game.)

I first got into Hero 3 years ago after seeing FRED and wondering what they heck kind of game would need a rule book that big.

After a friend kindly explained the general differences between Gurps (works great for low power street level stuff, but scales rather badly) and Hero (works so-so at low power street level stuff but scales much much better into the Cosmic range.)

I went with Hero. I haven't regretted it yet. Though, I did just take the plunge and purchased my first Gurps book (Gurps Alpha Centauri) and might take a look at some of their other setting books for stuff to mine.

TB

Am 46, started playing in 1982 when it was in the little blue book. I have played almost anything that can be played using the HERO system.

Played D&D when it was in the small brown books, Elf, Dwarf, Halfling were classes.

So I am an old timer with the Hero System.

Oddhat--

OMG, you mentioned Risus. Now that's an easy game, but it isn't just "fudgy", its fudge covered fudge ice cream floating in a fudge fondue.

Risus is as crisp as last summers potato chips.

Seriously, Risus is a lot of fun, and about a half click from "cops and robbers"

Yes? ;)

Seriously, if someone wants an almost no rules system that works, Risus is fine. You can learn it in a few minutes.

If they want crunchy, I'd suggest HERO or GURPS.

The elephant in the room with gaming is that the players and GM are far more important to the success of a game session than the rules system.

I must be the young pup here as I am only 28.

I got ya beat, I'll be 27 on Memorial Day. I've been playing HERO for a little over a year, and gaming for about 6 (started on AD&D, then D&D, White Wolf, and Shadowrun). I think hero is by far a better system than any of the previously mentioned. My only problem was getting out of the ridged mindset that comes with D&D.

I'm 31, and first played Hero System (specifically Champions) at a con when I was 18. My first thought was "wow, a superhero game" and my next thought was "WOW, a game system that has a built in mechanic for Batman's ability to make a thug piss him pants!" (The character they handed me was a alley lurking vigilante type with a 30 PRE). I ended up joining the group I played with at the con, bought the BBB and played ever since. Well, except for about 5 years when nobody I knew wanted to learn a new system and we all ended up playing Rifts. But we all eventually grew out of that phase and play Hero again.

I've been an AD&D player since I was 12, but really lost interest in D&D after d20 came out and it killed my mood (I just don't like many of the things they've been doing with the game.)

Now, I actually prefer d20. I think it's more coherent than AD&D. But at this point it's all opinion.

Cheers

:cheers:

Now, I actually prefer d20. I think it's more coherent than AD&D. But at this point it's all opinion.

Cheers

:cheers:

I wasn't refering to the mechanics (I've got few quibbles here and there, but you are right they made it more consistent) I was refering to the tone and tenor and feel of the world stylisticall.

I've made mention of it on the boards before, but I just don't like the way the game has become a non stop stream of books that are nothing more than feat/prestige class/domain injection systems and nothing more. There just isn't the same focus on story telling that there used to be.

TB

I wasn't refering to the mechanics (I've got few quibbles here and there, but you are right they made it more consistent) I was refering to the tone and tenor and feel of the world stylisticall.

I've made mention of it on the boards before, but I just don't like the way the game has become a non stop stream of books that are nothing more than feat/prestige class/domain injection systems and nothing more. There just isn't the same focus on story telling that there used to be.

TB

This I would have to completely agree with. The books have become all Crunch and no story/background. Even the Realms books have become more feat/class/Prestige Class than story and you have to go back to the AD&D material to get the correct feel of the setting.

I'm probably the youngest one who is a GM, I'm 22 and have been playing Hero since around 1999. I've yet to see anything that can't be done in hero, I'll watch movies and TV shows just mentally statting up the world and characters.

I started wargaming in the late 50's early 60's with Avalon Hill's games: Tactics II, Gettysburg, D-Day, etc. I started RPGing in 1973 or 74, while I was in the army. That was D&D, the 3 small booklets. I started playing Champions in 1981 or 82, first edition.

Oh, I'm 57.

Maybe I should call myself "the old man"?

I'm 32. Started into Champions in the 4th Ed days, that Big Blue Book is still sitting on my shelf as I type this.

The greatest thing [iMO and IME] about HERO is what brought me to it in the first place: The character creation. I haven't found anything I can't build to my satisfaction in HERO. My imagination is the only limit, and for that I thank those who created HERO, those who made HERO possible, and those who make HERO great today.

Yes? ;)

The elephant in the room with gaming is that the players and GM are far more important to the success of a game session than the rules system.

Well if you have no players and no GM you can't have a successful game session. You can have a successful game session without any rules. I know because I ran a game of Space 1889 once, and continued running the game after chucking the rules at the wall.

I'm 29. I started playing with 5th edition, about 3 years ago. My brother-in-law got me into the game and he's been playing since 3rd edition.

I actully owned a copy of 4th editon back in high school, but I only ever made one character with it and never actully got around to playing him. I loaned the book out to a friend but he didn't return it before going off to college. I've long since lost track of him. For all I know, he could be playing and posts on these very boards.

I'm 42 and GenCon will mark my first anniversary playing HERO. Have played multiple RPGs (D&D, AD&D, D&D 3.0, D&D 3.5, Torg, Rifts, Mutant Chronicles, Deadlands, Delta Green, godlike, Chill, etc) and multiple war/boardgames since about 1980.

In the past year, I have pretty much migrated over to HERO. We have played Star HERO, Fantasy HERO, Champions, and a once-every-other-week Pulp HERO campaign. I like the fact that we now can use one ruleset to play multiple genres.

As far as age goes, my ten year old and fourteen year old are participants in the Pulp campaign and I don't think HERO was any harder for them to pick up than D&D 3.5 was.

In my experience, almost any game is easier to learn by playing than by just getting the rules and reading. For any game to prosper, current players have to introduce the game to newer players. I can guarantee that if I did not play in a game at a convention, I never would have picked HERO up.

28, discovered HERO about 3, maybe 4 years ago. My husband is a year younger than me, and discovered it at the same time.

We've introduced three new players to the system, and they don't seem to prefer it over any others. Then again, they are all still pretty new with it, and haven't had a lot of opportunities to learn the mechanics. I'm pretty sure one is 29, the other is in his 30's, and the third was my college roommate, so is the same age as me.