Casual Survey: Age of players and Hero's utility vs. other games

Re: Casual Survey: Age of players and Hero's utility vs. other games

I'm 33 and have been playing Hero for a week now.

I started RPing a little over 20 years ago, and began with D&D in it's various incantations. I have played some Rolemaster/Spacemaster for a while, but for the most part, D&D has a stranglehold on players in my area. I've owned and read several other games and systems and have played a few session with each, but I always ended up coming back to the standard D&D fantasy game.

In the last 5 years or so, I switched from primary player to primary GM and became disillusioned with D&D. It's a great game, but there are so many different things I want to do that weren't easily done in that system. Since I'm the GM now, I can do things my way, which seems a lot easier with a level-less, point-buy system, where rules and setting aren't overly intertwined.

I've been looking for a solid unified system that can handle the different campaigns I've been wanting to run (super heroes, fantasy, modern, sci-fi). I was also looking for something with a proven track record, continued support from the company, and a reasonable sized fan-base. This is how I ended up with Hero (GURPS came in 2nd).

I think I've come to the right place.

One thing I found interesting was the average age of people here (and the link to the previous poll about player ages with Hero). I'm pleased that so many of the players are in the neighborhood of my age, but I was a little dismayed at the lack of younger players. Does Hero not appeal to younger gamers (compared to other RPGs), or does the younger crowd just not hang out on these boards?

Cheers!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 years old, been into RPGs since 1979, playing and running Champions/Hero since about 1981ish.

Our group introduced my buddy's GF (now wife) to role playing games with a Fantasy Hero game. Now, whenever we play a different system, she always complains, "Why can't we just play Hero? I like rolling 3d6 for everything, and fistfulls of dice for damage!" :D

I have trouble coping with the speed chart.

I may have a solution for you.

I have written an application (in Java) that manages the SPD chart for you.

Once it is in a little more mature form (there are several bugs I am working through right now), I am planning on making it available (through one of the open source licenses, probably the GPL).

If you are interested, feel free to PM me!

35 until October, started playing Hero back in '85 as Champions. It's probably my favourite crunchy generic game (I also like GURPS), but I also play a couple of light games (a fair bit of Fudge and some Risus) -- I go back and forth between them.

With 5th and some of the options, I'd use Hero for almost anything, if I had the time and players who would put up with it. I've even recently gotten my 13 year old son and his friend into it (I think they like Fudge better, though).

I'm 49

Played Chainmail, D&D, Champs and all the rest remember when D&D use to reference chainmail!

Herogames is an extremely flexible and robust gaming MECHANICS.

the lloyd rule of gaming is great game system, poor support material, has been true until Harn hit, then the other systems merged more towards a middle ground as they improved their rules structure and realized players wanted more and more of a good thing in material to keep peeked interest.

I won't criticize any game because it take a LOT to create these things.

lloyd

21 and a half, started roleplaying freeform with my brother at the age of 14 to get over long car trips, eventually bought a D&D book at about 17, quickly graduated D&D and have moved through at least 50 systems in the intervening years.

D&D (MANY VARIANTS, just about anything D20)

Shadow Run 2nd, 3rd, 4th

HERO

Anything White Wolf

Paranoia

Harn

Just too name a few.

I'm also a resident GM/DM/ST (I prefer GM, though a friend of mine chooses GOD, for Game Organizer and Distributer)

I'm 43 and have been rpging for 27 years (with a year or two off here and there). I started with AD&D and then The Fantasy Trip (the original version). Also Gamma World and a homegrown system one of our group created while in search of the perfect game.

I discovered Champions in '82 while in junior college. Each of the groups I've been in since then have used HERO exclusively. I don't have the time or funds for a bunch of different systems. Besides, HERO does everything we need just fine.

I'm 19, Champions(4th Ed) was my first time roleplaying ever, I am okay w/D&D, but I like the flexibility(if you want a super energy bomb of doom, well if the GM will go for it, here's how....). I have GM'd a few times, I really like the system, currently I am playing in the d10 Roll-Keep system w/Legend of the Five Rings, which works better for that setting and nowhere else. I like HERO alot though, ease of use(2+ brain cells) and its infinite possibilities.

I'm 41 and have been playing Hero since 1981 when it was called Champions. I still refer to Hero as Champions every now and again. I started gaming with Metagamings The Fantasy Trip around 1977 or so. I havew also played D&D, Whitewolf, Traveller, V&V, Call of Cthulhu, Man Myth and Magic, and a host of other systems.

I'll be turning 38 in three weeks and a day. I've been playing Champions/Hero System since the beginning of 1988, after the four months of an experimental home-designed super hero game went bust (and the friend who was the V&V advocate couldn't grok the idea of converting the characters from "Heroes and Hellrazers" over.) I had only really started playing D&D about a year earlier than that.

Oh. And 39' date=' been playing since the first light gray edition with Holocaust on the cover (of course he didn't have a name back then).[/quote']

I'll use CBikle's line... because it is exactly what I was going to write. (Well, I'll be 39 in about a month.)