Star Frontiers Conversion

Moonblade

Re: Star Frontiers Conversion

I thought it was all about getting big bullets down range...

No, it's about getting big bullets on target. What's the point of having great penetrating power and man-stopping ability if you can't hit the broad side of a barn?

Sigh, here's where I get military geeky. Every version of the M-16, along with the CAR-15, M-14, AK-47, Steyr-Aug, Uzi submachine gun, Galil Assault Rifle, whatever automatic rifle NATO uses, H&K MP5 submachine gun (plus the dozens of models I can't think of right now) all have clips of 30 rounds of more and most of them were made before 1977. I just figured the guys making the game would be up on this stuff.

The point of game flavor is taken, since the whole point of this discussion is to try and capture the environment of the game.

You know thats all true of military issue, and high cap mags are certainly available in the civilian sector, but most civilain versions of military rifles like the AR-15 come standard with 10 round mags. You could design the rechargeable power cells like this, where a standard cell is 10 charges but for a fee the character could purchase a 20, 30, or even a 50 charge cell. You might make the high cap cells have heat issues causing burnout with the higher the cap the greater the chance of a cell burning out.... just as the bugs rally and counter-attack :eg:

Also don't forget that in a non-supers game not everyone walks around with armor (resistant defenses), so even a 1/2d6K can ruin your day as it ignores normal defenses. I realize that even a max hit at 1/2d6 won't kill most NPCs but assuming relatively normal stats (with base 8 and NCM 20) a single shot should be able to possibly stun.

I personally hate it when I have an encounter setup and the players wade through the bad guys like they are not there with a flurry of one shot kills. Even Orcs and Cannon Fodder need respect. :D

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Major Tom

Has anyone tried recently to download any of the Star Frontiers module

PDFs from the starfrontiers.com site lately? I tried last night and all I got was

a blank white screen.

Major Tom :confused:

Not lately. You can try http://www.starfrontiersman.com for a couple of PDF adventures.

I just tried starfrontiers.com. I was able to download. It opened a new tab that was blank, but behind that was the download mini-window. Try right-clicking and Save Link As. [Edit: Nevermind. Right-Click -> Save As does not do the trick.]

sadly my favorite old SF RPG didnt seem to get a lot of shelf time, I have always been a big fan of FGU's Space Opera, character generation was semi points based and took almost as long as rolemaster, ship combat didnt work very well, but it was great for mining ideas, it dates back to the era of Traveller and Star Frontiers

another newer system thats good for mining ideas, but a big disapointment in some ways is Battlelords of the 23rd Century, it has no space combat system or planet generation system, lots big ugly aliens, and some really over the top powers, but there are a couple of useful books. Lock N Load which is an equipment book, along with 2 sector atlas books, No Mans Land, and Hells Kitchen. there was supposed to be a space combat system which never came about, and a planet generation system that rivaled traveller, but again after several years, nothing but excuses on when its coming

Heh we are involved in a long running campaign (over 1 1/2 years) that started as Star Frontiers, took on a SF/TE slant, and now is headed back to a more pure SF feel. Our crew while mostly human includes a drasalite and a pretty grumpy Yazarian. We had a Vrusk at one point, but the player had to take a semi-permanent hiatus. Nolgroth is our GM and has great passion for cliff hanger endings :D .

We currently have 5 players and a GM. We meet online on Thursday evenings between 7 and 11 pm MST using Maptools. The group might be willing to accept one or two more players. If anyone is interested contact Nolgroth for more details.

The group I gamed with in the mid-80s was really into Star Frontiers. It really wasn't a great game, but it was playable (unlike Space Opera) and fun (unlike Traveller). (JMHO, don't be too offended if you liked either of those.)

As usual, I'd recomend not trying to convert over the system foibles (like the way lasers work), and just try to port the flavor. Getting the races converted faithfully would be key. If that's already out there, the rest should be easy.

The group I gamed with in the mid-80s was really into Star Frontiers. It really wasn't a great game, but it was playable (unlike Space Opera) and fun (unlike Traveller). (JMHO, don't be too offended if you liked either of those.)

As usual, I'd recomend not trying to convert over the system foibles (like the way lasers work), and just try to port the flavor. Getting the races converted faithfully would be key. If that's already out there, the rest should be easy.

Actually, the way lasers work isn't too hard. By default in Hero, you can do less than full damage with an attack if you want. Normally weapons take a limitation preventing them from doing that, but you don't have to with lasers.