Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Re: Demon Star

Originally posted by Storn

Yes, I didn't ink it. The paper that I sketch on is not good enough quality to accept brush and/or quill... so this is another digital coloring over pencils. hey, I like the style. Your mileage may vary.

Good stuff. I really like pose; it's very dynamic with a strong action feel. Do you lay down any shading in pencil before scanning it in, or do you just lay down the outlines for the sketch and let everything else come once it's on the computer?

Succubus

Here is another pic that I did that fateful Saturday game. This is James character, Lily, in her Succubus form. Lily can shapeshift, but this is a form that is seperate and the other players aren't quite sure what is up with this considerably demonic form.

Also, over on the Green Ronin boards, Neil has typed up the first half of that Saturday's adventure. It is pretty cool. But I'm totally biased. It is under Storn's Character thread. I'll be posting Succubus over there too.

http://www.greenronin.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=23958#23958

I can't say I pictured the goo stuff on her either, but it fits her.

Looking at the picture, I realized how much this is going to help me play here. My biggest problem with playing her in her demon form was remembering that she's still a woman (depending how loosely you'll allow the definition). I keep slipping into playing her as a guy-demon.

So, here's my thoughts on playing her in demon-form now: She's sorta like Faith from Buffy, only not as nice or polite. ;)

Re: Succubus

Here is another pic that I did that fateful Saturday game. This is James character, Lily, in her Succubus form. Lily can shapeshift, but this is a form that is seperate and the other players aren't quite sure what is up with this considerably demonic form.

Also, over on the Green Ronin boards, Neil has typed up the first half of that Saturday's adventure. It is pretty cool. But I'm totally biased. It is under Storn's Character thread. I'll be posting Succubus over there too.

http://www.greenronin.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=23958#23958

Storn,

These pics rock! Like I mentioned on rpg.net about your Eunuch image on your site, this one gives me an idea for a villain to use in my buffy game. I love how you draw stuff for a superhero rpg, but it has alot of crossover gaming potential. Kudos man, you are constantly proving why you are one of my favorite rpg artists....

Re: Re: Succubus

Originally posted by urbwar

Storn,

These pics rock! Like I mentioned on rpg.net about your Eunuch image on your site, this one gives me an idea for a villain to use in my buffy game. I love how you draw stuff for a superhero rpg, but it has alot of crossover gaming potential. Kudos man, you are constantly proving why you are one of my favorite rpg artists....

Thats why I post 'em. I'm hoping someone might get some use outta these. Not to mention it is simply practice and experimentation, so I hope to continue in the vein of being a good rpg artist.

James, you are welcome.

Due to my pulled neck muscle, James being sick, this week's MM game got cancelled. Next week is out due to business travel for Neil. So it will be two weeks before our game gets off the ground again.

But here are a couple of sketches that I did last week for this week's game. My players already spotted them, even though they were supposed to be villians. Oh well, that's what I get for sketching at the table. And yes, these ARE sketches... no color, no inks.

I call this one "Scope".

Thanks for these, Storn. I must admit, as someone just starting to learn to draw properly I actually quite enjoy seeing pictures like this in their 'rough and ready' stage (and with the occassional construction line). Both these guys look pretty good, especially Socket (although I'm not 100% convinced by the name :) ). Scope looks good but her helmet is ... odd. With a design like that, I'd almost be tempted to go with a name like 'Target' or 'Headshot' for that duel meaning.

BTW, I hate you for having already practiced enough to sketch figures this accurately ;).

Michael

Could You ?

Dear Storn,

I wonder if I could ask a favour ? Can you have a look at the Superhero Images thread and have a look at the artwork I have put up. The pieces were mostly done by my brother and a friend of mine called Paul Geelan. Tragically the latter vanished over a decade ago and has not been seen since.

But I would like to know what you think of them. They start on Page 10 and at present go to Page 14.

You might find the ones on Page 14 amusing.

Obviously I don't want an opinion on every one of them but a general view would be nice.

Thanks

kiginally posted by Mavnn [/i]

T. Both these guys look pretty good, especially Socket (although I'm not 100% convinced by the name :) ). Scope looks good but her helmet is ... odd. With a design like that, I'd almost be tempted to go with a name like 'Target' or 'Headshot' for that duel meaning.

BTW, I hate you for having already practiced enough to sketch figures this accurately ;).

Michael

I have my reasons for "Socket" that cannot be divulged at this time.

As for Scope's headgear, its a doodle. I like it though... and why would you name yourself "Target" or "Headshot"... you might name another person that... by using those it is suggesting YOU are the victim.

Besides, she has all these Sight powers, like Tscopic, see in the dark. The mask is simply 1-way see-thru.

Great Art

Good work Storn. I can't seem to get to your site though :-( I did a traceroute (Unix geek/Analyst) and it dies at your hosts infrastructure.

FYI: Thanks to Drew Tucker (artist formerly employeed by WotC) I've hated water colors. However, I'm now considering (after seeing your art) that I may have just hated his stuff. It's still not something I "love", but I appreciate it now.

Comments?

Not defensive.

Annoyed.

You've already have made it abundently clear that you don't care for the earlier sketchy pics. So why bring it up again?

And the statement "maybe its the blue-green pallet I don't care for..." is just a stupid statement, considering that is ALL Kid Cobalt is (which you stated you did like) and your own freakin' avatar!

Listen, this stuff is not for print.. although I feel that some of it is good enough to print. Its just for me fooling around with various techniques, illustrating some characters in my games. I'm sharing it with y''all so you might get some use out of it.

The comments I was hoping to get was "hey, this is useful." or "gee, sketchy qualities CAN work for some sub-genres of superheroes", maybe stumble around some techniques... heck, costume design like yourself posted.... not to get detailed analysis of, dare I say it? SKETCHES!!!

It is my fault, I admit. I didn't make clear what kind of comments I was expecting.

However, everyone can feel free to critique my art. I just hold the right to feel annoyed when it seems petty to me. Trust me, I've taken much stronger critiques of my art than anyone has dished out here. I know what a good critique is. And I know how to take my medicine.

But I really can't give a damn that you don't like my blue-green palette. I just can't take a statement like that seriously. Its like saying, because you drew a figure in your sketch book with legs too short, that you suck because I don't like the way you draw legs. If I have an issue with the way you draw legs, I would point out; "hey, measure that leg from the knee down... it seems wonky in its length"... or something. I wouldn't say; "hey prismacolors suck for superheroes and I don't like your style because of your short legs." See the difference?

I know that I am going to regret posting this, but I feel that I have to say something. So, if this offends you Storn, I am sorry that it does.

I really feel that you were out of line here and let your emotions get the best of you. As someone posted earlier, Acroyear did not deserve a rant like this.

You yourself posted (upset?) that no one had any comments concerning the work, yet had downloaded it many times. Then when Acroyear gives his feelings and thoughts on it, you get annoyed and blast him.

You must realize that everything that Acroyear pointed out is simply his opinion on the matter, whether it be a sketch or a finished piece. If he doesn't like the color choices, that is his perogative. He also can change his mind, that is also his perogative. Art is way to subjective and lends itself to these types of comments. You should know this.

I begin to wonder if you really wanted comments on your sketches or just wanted your ego stroked. If it was the latter, you succeeded.

I had some actual art/sketches comments to make, but since it appears that all you want is a pat on the back, I will pass. Hopefully you didn't strain your neck muscles patting yourself on the back.

Next time, be careful what you ask for, you just might get it, as in this instance.

Cybertooth, I did admit (too late) that I was hoping for comments of whether or not the artwork was useful... or interesting....or how art impacts RPGs... stuff like that. Not really loooking for art critique of sketches. NOr was I really upset when I said that bit about 60 downloads and no comments... I was actually rather amused. But is my fault for not being clearer on what I expected from the outset.

But I was very annoyed at being taken to task for "watercolor" and "sketchy line" and "grayscale" over and over again when basically I'm offering this for free. And these complaints pre-date this thread and I was, well, annoyed. These sketches are my experiments, nothing more. But nothing less either... experimenting is how I get better. They are not for publication. I was just sharing them with all of you, hoping that someone besides MY gaming group will find a use for them. That's it.

If folks deign to critique the artwork... they can. But it is really ridiculous when I'm dashing these off in an hour or two. They AIN"T finals! And I retain the right say that a critique is wrong. After all, I'm the final arbiter of the artwork when its MINE and not for a client. And I'm the guy who has returns to the studio the next day to try and get better.

Is it Ego-stroking? Yes, probably it is. But I'm not getting paid for doing this. Should I get nothing? Should I kowtow to demand and do perfect line drawings so y'all can photoshop and marker color away on MY art to your heart's content? Here is where my Ego says' I don't think so'.

I know that I've pissed you and at least Acroyear off (and probably several others). I'm sorry that it has happened... but I'm not sorry for the things that I've said or feel. I will continue to post my doodles as long as someone finds it helpful or fun or entertaining. But let me end with I do appreciate that you took the time to defend Acroyear and write down your words. It shows that you care. That is all right in my book.

being a struggling artist myself.. well okay, an old hat trying to get back into it, I say your art rocks Storn, and I understand your position this stuff is free, and just stuff you do, to play around with, I hear you, I have plenty of stuff like that... plenty!

Keep it up...

I am glad that some folks are finding these useful.

In update news: my website is still down. Something to do with the domain and my host is working on it. I have no idea when it will be fixed.

Here is a private commission done for a character created by RW Temple: Thunderbird. Hope y'all like.

That is beautiful. All I can say. Beautiful.