Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Originally posted by Storn

8.5 x 11, landscape in this case, is the size of the print. I could send out for a print to be made (be more expensive), but I wouldn't suggest it. The original is only around 8" wide, 5" tall. I can re-scan at really high res and blow it up a smidge, but blowing up artwork is never a really good idea. I wouldn't recommend going past 10" wide

Gak! $12.00 is cheap for the quality you're giving. Might we be seeing more art from you? I know you're busy and have a life.

The Mutant and Masterminds thread that I have has updated story and a couple of pics that I'm not loading up here, because they are old and y'all have probably seen them.

But just so ya know. You can pop over there and read the continuing UNTIL Black Op adventures.

this link will take you to the latest adv:

http://www.greenronin.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1570&start=350

I am not an expert on this, but isn't it a little unprofessional to put a picture which, I assume, DOJ ownes the rights to onto the M&M message boards? I know the picture of crouching panther man was published in Champions. I do not know if DOJ purchased the rights to the picture, but in any event I would not think they would want the picture on their competitor's message boards; especially considering that they do not make a habit of giving away book art on their own webpage.

Originally posted by Monolith

I am not an expert on this, but isn't it a little unprofessional to put a picture which, I assume, DOJ ownes the rights to onto the M&M message boards? I know the picture of crouching panther man was published in Champions. I do not know if DOJ purchased the rights to the picture, but in any event I would not think they would want the picture on their competitor's message boards; especially considering that they do not make a habit of giving away book art on their own webpage.

Why not? both images are on my website. FREE, absolutely FREE advertising for Hero games. I gave appropriate credit. Who in their right mind would turn down FREE advertising?

If anyone should bitch, it should be Green Ronin for my using their boards to advertise for Hero. But my game uses M&M, so i'm advertising for them as well. And I hope we can be accepting of cross pollenation here. It is good for both companies, good for my campaign, good for fans of both systems, good for me.

But c'mon! This falls under FAIR USE. I wasn't really advertising my art or Hero or M&M. I was talking about my game. Which isn't for profit. I'm using Grond(s) in my storyline as a hobbyist in this industry. If an avatar can be used from all sorts of sources... including yours, MONO, from Green Ronin on these Hero boards... this is a stupid line to draw.

Originally posted by Evil Thoughts

Did you get permission to post it on Green Ronin's site?

Since it was posted to their message board, he didn't need permission. It's a thread about his game, and the artwork is *his* artwork. Seriously, I don't see what the big deal is. As Storn pointed out, both pieces are available from his website, for free. If Hero didn't have a problem with it being on his site, why would they have a problem with him posting it to a thread about his M&M game? It's set in a world that uses alot of characters from Champions, so it's obvious that some champs character would show up in the game.

I am not an expert on this, but isn't it a little unprofessional to ...

Ya know, I'd kind of leave it to the person who's profession it is to decide that. Is this a question of professional ethics, or one of copyright? I can't see an ethical problem, since DOJ has repeatedly said that the competition is a good thing, and there's less animosity between companies than there is between fanboys. Supers is a small sub-genre, and all of these companies' products drive each others' sales. As for the copyright issues, I'm guessing that Storn knows what he is and is not allowed to do with his work, considering he's the one who has the contract for that work. I'd also -- and this is just a wild guess -- assume that Storn knows how DOJ feels about such use, having done the volume of work he's done for DOJ.

Man, haven't we been down this road before?

You know it is rude asking a question like this of someone. I'm sure that if there were a problem that DOJ would resolve it with Storn. It's really not our business.

Originally posted by Agent X

You know it is rude asking a question like this of someone. I'm sure that if there were a problem that DOJ would resolve it with Storn. It's really not our business.

So what if it is rude? I expect a certain amount of professionalism from Storn. Storn is not like the rest of us; he makes part of his living from DOJ. At the very least he should not be giving away things that DOJ themselves are not willing to give away.

As far as your second sentence, I am sure DOJ does not even know that Storn has posted the picture to the M&M site. I have in the past seen Steve admonish Storn on these very message boards for being a little too free with the posting of artwork owned by DOJ though. Storn loves his art, and he loves to showoff his art, but either way he does need to maintain his professionalism.

Now as to your third sentence, nothing on these message boards is really our business but it never stops anyone from posting about it, does it? :)

As far as your second sentence, I am sure DOJ does not even know that Storn has posted the picture to the M&M site. I have in the past seen Steve admonish Storn on these very message boards for being a little too free with the posting of artwork owned by DOJ though. Storn loves his art, and he loves to showoff his art, but either way he does need to maintain his professionalism.

Call me dense, but I'm not following the purpose of the initial question. So then this is entended to get him in trouble? Not trying to be rude, but I'm not seeing the point.

If your intention was to keep Storn professional, isn't that something you should take up with him personally instead of putting it in this public forum?

Just my professional 2 cents...

Originally posted by Durnin

So then this is entended to get him in trouble? Not trying to be rude, but I'm not seeing the point.

No, the purpose is to let him know that I thought it was unprofessional. It's called expressing an opinion, even if it is negative or unpopular with the Storn fan club. I would make the same comment to Nato or Albert if they posted DOJ owned artwork to the M&M site.

So what if it is rude? I expect a certain amount of professionalism from Storn.

Rudeness is generally frowned upon. As for your expectatons: What makes you think anyone cares about your expectations? You certainly don't have any authority to lay down expectations of Storn's professionalism to him, since you don't sign his checks. So, what was the point of the question?

I think DOJ doesn't need a Mommy to constantly look out for its interest. DOJ has shown itself to be a big company now, so you can quit pissing on someone's fun for a minute and relax. Steve reads these boards, and can find the pics on the MnM site the same way you did. If you're that concerned, you can send the link to Steve and let him handle it. There wa no need to derail a fun thread.

Originally posted by Pattern Ghost

Rudeness is generally frowned upon. As for your expectatons: What makes you think anyone cares about your expectations? You certainly don't have any authority to lay down expectations of Storn's professionalism to him, since you don't sign his checks. So, what was the point of the question?

I think DOJ doesn't need a Mommy to constantly look out for its interest. DOJ has shown itself to be a big company now, so you can quit pissing on someone's fun for a minute and relax. Steve reads these boards, and can find the pics on the MnM site the same way you did. If you're that concerned, you can send the link to Steve and let him handle it. There wa no need to derail a fun thread.

Apparently the Storn fanboys are out in full force today.

Whatever PG. You spend your time defending Storn and I'll spend my time calling him unprofessional. Either way I have a right to express my opinion, and you cannot take that away from me. I will tell you a secret though. The best way to "rerail" a thread is to not continue arguing with people you disagree with. Just make your EGO roll and ignore their (in this case my) posts if you do not like them.

Oh, and as long as we're playing Copyright Mommy... Does Green Ronin know you're using their copyrighted art as your avatar? And do they mind you're using it as an avatar on a competitor's site? There's something called creative control, you know, so I'm a bit curious on that one. I'm just asking since I'm curious about your own level of professionalism (legality, ethics) regarding these matters.

The way you use the phrase "Storn fanboys", you make it sound like it's a bad thing to like Storn's art. You do happen to be in a thread called "Storn's Art & Characters thread", which happens to be frequented by Storn fanboys. I don't know why you have to have such a severe attitude about the whole thing.

Oh, and as long as we're playing Copyright Mommy... Does Green Ronin know you're using their copyrighted art as your avatar? And do they mind you're using it as an avatar on a competitor's site? There's something called creative control, you know, so I'm a bit curious on that one. I'm just asking since I'm curious about your own level of professionalism (legality, ethics) regarding these matters.

I am not a professional. I am a fan. There is a difference there. Storn gets paid to uphold the ideals of the company he works for. I pay for the right (by buying the book) to use things within it for personal use. If GR asked me to remove the avatar I would. That is the extent of my professionalism.

I would also suggest you take a step back and not take this to a personally attack level. I am not attacking you, and by your own statement above perhaps Storn does not need you to be his "mommy" and he can fight his own battles too.

Apparently the Storn fanboys are out in full force today.

Whatever PG. You spend your time defending Storn and I'll spend my time calling him unprofessional. Either way I have a right to express my opinion, and you cannot take that away from me. I will tell you a secret though. The best way to "rerail" a thread is to not continue arguing with people you disagree with. Just make your EGO roll and ignore their (in this case my) posts if you do not like them.

I'm impressed by the logic of your opening line, Mon. You're brilliant.

I'm not defending Storn, I'm attacking you. Small difference. I don't really care much about Storn's ego-stroking in this thread, or in any of the various and sundry other Storn art-gallery threads on message boards (MnM, RPG.net), so much as the fact that you're being a bitch on this thread, and some other people were getting entertainment value out of it.

Storn's a good artist, and he's running and playing in a pretty interesting campaign. So, what was your motive for pissing on the fun of the folks who like this thread? I think it's because you're a big wanking DOJ fanboy (or girl, you frequently argue with feminine logic) at heart, and you're jealous (female logic) of other systems or criticisms to your favorite system. I suspect you were feeling a bit bitchy today (menopause? female logic...) and just wanted to torpedo this thread...

I am not a professional. I am a fan. There is a difference there. Storn gets paid to uphold the ideals of the company he works for. I pay for the right (by buying the book) to use things within it for personal use. If GR asked me to remove the avatar I would. That is the extent of my professionalism.

I would also suggest you take a step back and not take this to a personally attack level. I am not attacking you, and by your own statement above perhaps Storn does not need you to be his "mommy" and he can fight his own battles too.

So, you're saying that you don't have to follow those piddly copyright laws or respect someone's intellectual property? Cool beans.

Ok, if you aren't attacking me (you probably will be after you read that last post though), then I'll lay off of you. Fair enough. You seem unreasonably cranky today, though.

Originally posted by Nato

I don't know why you have to have such a severe attitude about the whole thing.

Nato, I made my statement, and have since been nothing more than responding to fanboys who seem to think that Storn can do no wrong. I like Storn's artwork, just as I like your artwork, but I think there should be a certain amount of loyalty to the company who pays you. Storn crosses that line by splashing company-owned artwork all over the internet when DOJ, buy Steve's own statements made many times on these message boards, has no desire to give out that artwork yet. It is one thing for Storn to give away art which he owns. It is another thing to give away art which he does not own, IMO.

. I pay for the right (by buying the book) to use things within it for personal use.

This is totally aside from the argument at hand. I just want to take a time out to point out to the viewers at home that this is NOT how copyright law works. You do NOT buy the right to scan items out of a book you've bought and then publically display them.

I think it's because you're a big wanking DOJ fanboy (or girl, you frequently argue with feminine logic) at heart, and you're jealous (female logic) of other systems or criticisms to your favorite system. I suspect you were feeling a bit bitchy today (menopause? female logic...) and just wanted to torpedo this thread...

Gee, how many misogynistic statements can one person make in one post? No wonder gamers never get laid. :)

This is totally aside from the argument at hand. I just want to take a time out to point out to the viewers at home that this is NOT how copyright law works. You do NOT buy the right to scan items out of a book you've bought and then publically display them.

Which is why I stated I would remove it if GR asked me too. Too bad you did not read that part. :)

Gee, how many misogynistic statements can one person make in one post? No wonder gamers never get laid. :)

You just don't know the right gamers. :P

Not misogynistic, really, just trying to get a rise out of you. You do argue from a feminine perspective, and frequently, yet you also take a highly logical approach at other times. Leads me to believe your avatar isn't representative of your gender. The dramatization of the gender cues were just cheap shots b/c I didn't like your attitude. But since we're not being personal, you can disregard those now. :D