Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Re: Storn's Art & Characters thread.

First up: Lil'promo announcement.

I will be at GENCON. I will have a table in the art section, selling my artwork. Please stop by and peruse and introduce yourselves. I look forward to meeting old friends and new!

And Sons of Kryos, the podcast in my sig, has been nominated for an Ennie. We are in great company. If you have listened to Judd, Jeff and me on SoK (or any of the other nominated podcasts, like my fav: Have Games, Will Travel)... go vote!

Now. Back to artwork. The next two are for my old GM, who is running the "Azure" based on part in the artwork I did for Necessary Evil. In NE, they were called the v'sori. He needed an alien martial artist and a special forces type to go along with the drones from NE. So, this is what I came up with:

vsori.MA72II.jpg

vsori.SpecOp72.jpg

And these two are from a GURPs apocalyptic campaign, with (obviously) mutants in the mix.

Ollie72.jpg

Eduardo72.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/

I will be at GENCON. I will have a table in the art section' date=' selling my artwork. Please stop by and peruse and introduce yourselves. I look forward to meeting old friends and new! [/quote']

Crap! Now I wish that I was going.

Have a great show!

Andy

vsori.MA72II.jpg

I really like this one. I don't usually dig on aliens, but I really like his 3-piece staff and the whole energy effect. The pose looks just right and the clothes are nicely reminiscent of martial arts archetypal gear yet just a touch of future/alien to make it work oh so nicely. Repped!

WOW! great work Storn. The last pic though. there is something about the eyes that does not look right.

Hmmm...

It's part of his insect mutation. His eyes move independently, so he's looking two ways at once.

It's part of his insect mutation. His eyes move independently' date=' so he's looking two ways at once.[/quote']

yup.

Here is Prussian Blue. Not sure if he is a superhero or supervillain. But kinda neat concept...

PrussianBlue72.jpg

Just wanted to remind folks: I will be at GENCON. I will have a table in the art section, selling my artwork. Please stop by and peruse and introduce yourselves. I look forward to meeting old friends and new!

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Except for the lack of red eyes it's Darth Thrawn! (The Admiral's nephew).

:eek:

yup.

Here is Prussian Blue. Not sure if he is a superhero or supervillain. But kinda neat concept...

PrussianBlue72.jpg

Just wanted to remind folks: I will be at GENCON. I will have a table in the art section, selling my artwork. Please stop by and peruse and introduce yourselves. I look forward to meeting old friends and new!

PrussianBlue72.jpg

Prussian Blue is a provided-character in my QueerHero campaign that I run at certain conventions. Love the cravat (Storn's idea). I hope to have the rest of the team drawn (besides Echo and Prussian) in time for the October convention.

• 1 month later...

Been away for a bit. Gencon prep started two weeks before Gencon. Then Gencon happened (howdy to y'all who stopped by my table, it was a blast!!!). Then I came back from Gencon with a ton of work on my plate... and came down with the unavoidable sinus infection.

But. The body heals eventually and the art starts to flow again. Here are two mish-mash concepts. Samurai with shapeshifter form. And dwarven sherlock holmes via Shadowrun.

Musashi72.jpg

Baskerville72.jpg

At Gencon, got the chance to sit in on Mick Bradley's Vegas After Midnight game. Which was a total hoot!

Here is a link to Mick's various VAM offerings:

http://harpingmonkey.com/mick/category/vegas-after-midnight/

Anyway, I played Jackie Edo, the buddhist yakuza punk... who I doodled up. And the rest of the cool, oddball cast to follow.

JackieEdo.jpg

Vegascast.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Death Tribble commissioned this step by step process to be shown on my various threads. To talk about my process, how I do things. The character is "Star" and here is the write up I received from D.T.:

"Star: A robust, cosmically-powered energy projector. Her uniform is a sleeveless unitard with a large silver/white star in the center of the chest. With her powers activated, the black takes on the appearance of a starfield and the chest embelm pulses with silvery energy."

This is a pretty wide open description. For most commissions, I usually get a bit more info. But D.T. and I have been working together for some time. I think he trusts my vision.

So first, I print out the character description, do any research for reference I might need. Star doesn't need any.

I head downstairs to the Gimmie Coffee that is across the street... okay... that might be too much detail for y'all . I tend to do my sketches at bars and coffee shops, liking the noise and the chatter to keep me loose. So it is kinda part of my process.

I tend to be pretty sketchy and loose at first... and I will draw in blue line (7mm mechanical pencil blue lead) (which I can eliminate in Photoshop if I scan in pencils to color over, and if scanned in black and white from inks, it won't show). I tried to come up with a pose for Star that was a bit different for a "cosmic" character.

I wanted nice curves, round forms, even in her hair. Because of energy effects, I'm already thinking colors. I need the star to show up nicely. I sorta channel Starman from a decade ago crossed with Dream Girl from Legion of Super Heroes. This is what snuck up on me (note: you can see other sketches seeping through the thin paper in my sketch book):

Starblueline.jpg

Then I go over the blue line with pencil. I tighten up a bit more. Spot my blacks. I went for a retro bob hairstyle.

Starpencils.jpg

Then it is time to ink, I use Winter Harvest Kolinksy brushes to ink (from Weber distribution). They are awesome. I thik I did this with a number 2... not sure, I have about 6 brushes all in about the same size. Note the bad smudging. I had a bit of clean up to do digitally. My window was open and the sketchbook had a page blow shut over my still drying inks. Ah... just another day in the life of an illustrator...

Starink72.jpg

Then the inked version gets scanned in. I take it to Painter (as my photoshop is no where to be found and I have a new computer). I work in several layers. While the inks were simple, the coloring takes a bit of time. I lay down flat colors and then go and build highlights, often using the oil brush for that. Lay in shadows with the digital watercolor tool, drying as need be. Both will get smudged using the Blender simple water tool.

The stars get added over the ink, the energy effects are airbrushed in. And viola! Add my signature (which changed due to new computer, must download Coventry Garden font.)

StarF.jpg

...And there you have it. A character concept from start to finish. I hope this was interesting to y'all.

cheers.

Someone find Pattern Ghost and tell him that his picture is up.

This was the one that came through the Year 4 from conception to final art this year.

And yes the description does leave a lot of leeway.

And it looks good.

That is the first of five drawings I have on commission with Storn with another one due up soon.