Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Re: Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Huh. I didn't think the mask was particularly hard to see. We just put a pattern on it, I guess the "white" should have been different than the white hair. A bit more yellow in the mask might have shifted it away from being confusing. Oh well...one to chalk up for another day.

Here are some pics from Jeff's excellent scifi Aberrant game.

First up is Princess Arabella played by Nikki, precog, telepath, my PC's principal and, well, love of his life.

PrincessArabella72.jpg

Then we have Pan. Pirate captain, brilliant hacker with cyberkinesis. Played by Keikei

Pan72.jpg

Next up is Bertrum, played by Kevin. Bertrum was really hard to draw, as he is a shapeshifter. He can turn into anything, a chair, another person, or animal. So what image could encompass that? In frustration, I doodle this for a laugh...

Bertram72.jpg

And here we have two NPCs. Angus and Star General Jin Tao. Jin Tao is one of Arabella's suitors and a genetic engineered GRIN warrior. Angus was a rejected gene-GRIN warrior who started to follow Pan around when she went to a merc bar to get scuttlebutt on the downlow. I came up with Angus on the fly, even though I wasn't the GM. Hitting on Pan in a loud, booming (badly, horrible) scottish accent. I had the table laughing pretty hard. It was fun.

Angus72loRes.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/

Storn, I have a question. I am working on a new character who uses a Battlesuit. I am interested in getting some artwork for him, but I haven't settled on what it's to look like.

Can I comission you do to a "preliminary" sketch-up based upon some sorta vague descriptions? I think that that way, if I like what my vague descriptions produce, I can go ahead and do a full comission. If I don't like it, I would then have the opportunity to modify/develop the descripton and re-comission.

Also, what's your workload/turnaround time like currently? :)

And the machine gun.

Back story is she was the first of the German paranormals prior to the 2nd World War and helped uncover others such as Uberman.

She was a believer and joined the SS serving with Heydrich rather than Himmler. She was head of the paranormals being more intelligent, more able and more loyal than the others.

From all the main timelines she died after finding out and seeing Auschwitz-Birkenau at first hand. She killed one of her subordinates for killing Jews there for fun. After that she became mad and died in a variety of different ways depending on the timeline.

However this version survived. And found a way to travel through time. Again and again she tried to alter the past but failed. She even tried replacing Hitler but that failed, things got worse.

She eventually came to the realisation that nothing she did would ever change the past. The War was lost for good. The future was a different story. And above all the Russians must suffer for what they did to the Fatherland.

I have no good name for her as I want to avoid Walkyrie, Uberfrau, Uberfraulein and Kreig Frau. As she is disowning the Nazi party she is not wearing what would be uniform.

And the gun ? It's one of those ever lasting guns. To get Desolid affects etc, she just takes the magazine out, thinks for a moment and replaces it. Also after about 20 shots she has to do the same.

The pic however could be used for a German Resistance fighter.

And I wanted something other than the typical Nazi woman in uniform.

This marks the 49th picture I have had from Storn as well.

How about Reinheit, German for purity. Works well with the mood of the times and the shame she felt at Auschwitz.

Then we have Pan. Pirate captain, brilliant hacker with cyberkinesis. Played by Keikei

Pan72.jpg

Love this! (Although she does look like she's about to fall over.)

Next up is Bertrum, played by Kevin. Bertrum was really hard to draw, as he is a shapeshifter. He can turn into anything, a chair, another person, or animal. So what image could encompass that? In frustration, I doodle this for a laugh...

Bertram72.jpg

So Bertram plays in the NBA for the Seattle Metamorphs? ;)

Storn, I have a question. I am working on a new character who uses a Battlesuit. I am interested in getting some artwork for him, but I haven't settled on what it's to look like.

Can I comission you do to a "preliminary" sketch-up based upon some sorta vague descriptions? I think that that way, if I like what my vague descriptions produce, I can go ahead and do a full comission. If I don't like it, I would then have the opportunity to modify/develop the descripton and re-comission.

Also, what's your workload/turnaround time like currently? :)

I really don't want to open a can of worms. Commissions are a side gig for me, and that means I need to turn them out pretty fast in order to make it viable to do them.

Keeping my pricing simple is part of that. When I had tiered prices, my business was actually less... it confused folks, and more work to do on my part (submitting sketches and such).

If anyone wants a situation where they get sketches submitted, then tweaked, then resubmitted, then go to finals... that is what I do with publishers. And therefore, ya gotta pony up to publisher's rates. I would charge $100.00 per figure to do it til it's "right". If you are interested in that... please contact me at Storn.Cook@gmail.com

Here is a villainess for B's Champions game. Kinda like the slinkyness of this one.

LadyDread72.jpg

And here is a milestone. This is Death Tribbles FIFTIETH commission. It is an odd one, I'll paste the description I got here so y'all can see how fun and strange this one is.... the speedster part really threw me.

from D.T. >>A transparent male human shape run like a Q ship with little figures on the inside manning a gun where the nose should be and others throughout the body. The little figures should not be distinct.

No missile pods, just guns like battleships of yore.

One hand should have two of the fingers, probably the two after the thumb, as these guns. This hand will be on the horizontal. The other hand can be pointing down and you could keep obscure this one so people cannot see it.

Other guns would be above the naval about rib base on one side and below the naval and above the groin on the other. I am not thinking that guns in the groin area or down the legs would be a good idea.

No guns pointing out of the back if the back is visible.

The little figures should appear to be human. The body can look like a base with fuel storage and lifts.

No hair. Neuter the figure for decency sake.

Figure should be in motion either going left to right or coming out at the reader like Speester. But let's talk about this when you get to it.

No radar or radio attenna outside the human shape.<<<

And this is whatjaget after comes through my noodle.

Q72.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/

No hair. Neuter the figure for decency sake.

If for anything - I appreciate this quote the most. I never liked the idea of groin guns. Rifts already has too many of that already!

But I have to admit it is a pretty cool concept. Looking at the picture long enough you can see some cool stuff. Cannonballs, Shells, Laundry... very cool.

The only thing that makes it odd for me, but it's part of the coolness: Is how everything inside is perpendicular to the floor.

If for anything - I appreciate this quote the most. I never liked the idea of groin guns. Rifts already has too many of that already!

But I have to admit it is a pretty cool concept. Looking at the picture long enough you can see some cool stuff. Cannonballs, Shells, Laundry... very cool.

The only thing that makes it odd for me, but it's part of the coolness: Is how everything inside is perpendicular to the floor.

I love that part myself.

That was very intentional on my part. Dunno why. Just seemed to make a strange pic even stranger. Like there is some kind of dimensional thing happening inside that giant body.

Well the 50th pic is up and it had to be something special. Now I already had some of main characters The Demoness, The Flame and the Magician who were my first characters done in 2004 and 2005. I could have asked for a couple of more from the same campaign but thought no.

How then to stimulate the populace that comes here ?

I already had plenty of feedback and help and turned other people's ideas into pictures ie Hermit's throwaway signature became Mini-D, Worldmaker's villain Halftrack was commissioned. There was also the competition to turn ideas into pictures from initial concepts which yielded Cyanide in 2004 the Canadian super assassin with his poisonous force fields, the Indian nun Sadhana in 2005, the ice brick Glacier in 2006 and Star in 2007.

My own mind furnished the decidly oddball in Poley Bear in 2004, Dr Snail in 2005, Pterra Don in 2006, the film noir Purple Worm, the German modern day Beholder Colonel Blinky, United States Marine Corpse and MechaGrond all in 2007. Then the winners of my own character vote gave us Robot Nun in 2004, Liberty Helle in 2005, the Astronaut suit as battle suit in 2006 and Bast in 2007. The idea for a lot of this is not only get a character but get a character that maybe you have not seen before and would challenge the artist. That was the idea behind the first commission a Medusa with a beautiful face and multi coloured snakes with one snake being close to full life size. I have about another 142 odd characters that I have visualisations for. The more I get the more I seem to have ideas for other characters.

So onto the fiftyth picture. It came out of the blue one day and I added it to my list to be developed. When I was but a young Tribble I used to draw bases behind mountains and cliffs which had guns, fuel dumps, hangers etc. That is where the inspiration came from lurking in the back of my subconscious. You also have all these rather 'cool' looking killing machines like the liquid metal Terminator, so why not have something that is not so cool looking, that is retro. No fancy radar, missiles etc. And how do characters deal with something that looks like this. It has no disguise. What you see is what you get. You can have it as a giant machine but my own idea is that it is 6 feet tall. And immune to ego powers so you have no earthly idea what it is and why it is.

My gift to the forum, something completely wierd.