Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Re: Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Don't know why this thread is doing this... the phantom page...but oh well...

Well, it is sketch contest time again over at TenTon Studios. And this week it is Red Sonja. How could I pass doing that? Anyway, here is my entry.

Sonjask72.jpg

If you want to see about 20 different Red Sonjas... come on by TenTon studios, link:

http://www.tentonstudios.com/forum/index.php?topic=5288.0

If ya like, you can even throw a vote for one of them. Leave a comment!

You like your thin blades, don't you?

In this case, although I LIKE this picture, it causes it loses some of the impact. Most renditions of a barbarian male or female character, like Red here, have a broad bladed weapon because it looks HEAVY, and MEAN.

Anyone who tells you size doesn't matter is fooling themselves. :P It DOES even if it's psychological.

And Barbarian fighters are large, in charge and their weapons show it.

But, then again, what do I know?

Here' date=' this is from my Hero Character sheet for Red Sonya:[/quote']

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Sonja

Red Sonja, the She-Devil with a Sword, is a fictional character, a low fantasy sword and sorcery heroine created by Roy Thomas and Barry Windsor-Smith. She first appeared in Conan the Barbarian #23 (Marvel Comics). The character was loosely based on Red Sonya of Rogatino in Robert E. Howard's short story "The Shadow of the Vulture" (The Magic Carpet, January 1934), which Roy Thomas rewrote as a Conan story for the Marvel comic.

So no, she's NOT Howard's character, but barely, loosely based on her.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Sonja

Red Sonja, the She-Devil with a Sword, is a fictional character, a low fantasy sword and sorcery heroine created by Roy Thomas and Barry Windsor-Smith. She first appeared in Conan the Barbarian #23 (Marvel Comics). The character was loosely based on Red Sonya of Rogatino in Robert E. Howard's short story "The Shadow of the Vulture" (The Magic Carpet, January 1934), which Roy Thomas rewrote as a Conan story for the Marvel comic.

So no, she's NOT Howard's character, but barely, loosely based on her.

Well, yes, I knew that.

You like your thin blades, don't you?

In this case, although I LIKE this picture, it causes it loses some of the impact. Most renditions of a barbarian male or female character, like Red here, have a broad bladed weapon because it looks HEAVY, and MEAN.

Anyone who tells you size doesn't matter is fooling themselves. :P It DOES even if it's psychological.

And Barbarian fighters are large, in charge and their weapons show it.

But, then again, what do I know?

Well, Sonja is not a barbarian. She duels Conan with speed and skill, not brawn. The chainmail bikini? Blame Frank Thorne for that. It has become her signature look.

Well' date=' Sonja is not a barbarian. She duels Conan with speed and skill, not brawn. The chainmail bikini? Blame Frank Thorne for that. It has become her signature look.[/quote']

Damn you Frank Thorne! Just look at what you've made! See how it...umm...I mean it's so impractical...umm...I mean, there's so much bare flesh...so unrealistic...mmm...

What was I saying?

I know its really cliche' and all, but I like it... I don't care what anyone says, similar to my quote. =)

Though, i saw a painful looking rendition of it at gen-con involving a girl wearing a chainmail bikini and having... uh... very astute... umm... nipples.

Well' date=' Sonja is not a barbarian. She duels Conan with speed and skill, not brawn. The chainmail bikini? Blame Frank Thorne for that. It has become her signature look.[/quote']

Actually, she's a Goddess blessed warrior, or at least was in the original comics. Not exactly superhuman, but stronger, faster and probably tougher than an equivalently trained warrior. She's been using LARGE weapons since the beginning of her appearances.

The fact that Conan can stand up to her as an equal tells more of HIS capacities than her own.

Now you happen to like slender blades, most of your fantasy pictures show rapiers or saber like weapons. This IS NOT A BAD THING. It's style, and damn, you are VERY good. I'm seriously jealous.

What I'm saying is that although I like the Red Sonja picture (She's one of my favourite character concepts, sometimes the execution is... Lacking) I think that her with sabers loses the impact, especially when attacking a much larger foe like that demon. The leaping attack pose? Brilliant, I'm trying to sketch it out myself! But again, I find (Again, personal opinion here) that the slender brands in her grip takes some of the oomph out of it.

YMMV.

It is time for another Ten Ton Studios challenge. This week, it is the Phantom, that one-o-the first of masked men in striped underwear. Well. I'm a sucker for pulp imagery. And I strived to bring that pulp excitement and action to my contribution. Let me know if I succeeded or not.

I also have not been painting traditionally in a long time. So, out came the acrylics on this one. Although I screwed up the sky royally, and after getting back from Philly, I quickly slapped down oil paint on the sky. It still ain't where I want it to be, but the stuff had to dry for it to be put down on the scanner in time for the contest.

Come check out the other Phantom entries. Vote for your fav!!! Voting ends at midnight, Thurs (tonight)

http://www.tentonstudios.com/forum/index.php?topic=5317.0

Phantom72.jpg

Actually, she's a Goddess blessed warrior, or at least was in the original comics. Not exactly superhuman, but stronger, faster and probably tougher than an equivalently trained warrior. She's been using LARGE weapons since the beginning of her appearances.

The fact that Conan can stand up to her as an equal tells more of HIS capacities than her own.

Now you happen to like slender blades, most of your fantasy pictures show rapiers or saber like weapons. This IS NOT A BAD THING. It's style, and damn, you are VERY good. I'm seriously jealous.

What I'm saying is that although I like the Red Sonja picture (She's one of my favourite character concepts, sometimes the execution is... Lacking) I think that her with sabers loses the impact, especially when attacking a much larger foe like that demon. The leaping attack pose? Brilliant, I'm trying to sketch it out myself! But again, I find (Again, personal opinion here) that the slender brands in her grip takes some of the oomph out of it.

YMMV.

yeah, my mileage varies. What is all this goddess stuff? Is that new? I have the issues of Conan where she first appears (and I haven't been reading the new stuff at all...)... and she appears with a full chain shirt (no bikini) and a slender longsword. So what beginning appearances? I don't truck with World of Warcraft Anime bigfreakin'demi-god weaponry for MY Red Sonja.

And Zeppelin sky-castles! And F4U Corsairs being flown by.... Corsairs! :D

Not really Corsairs... I stole the gull wing look... but a corsair has a much longer fusilage... I shortened mine up considerably... because I wanted it to look a wee bit fantastical, like the ol' G-8 covers...

But I do like the Corsair, and I did reference them when I was doing this.

Don't know why this thread is doing this... the phantom page...but oh well...

Well, it is sketch contest time again over at TenTon Studios. And this week it is Red Sonja. How could I pass doing that? Anyway, here is my entry.

If you want to see about 20 different Red Sonjas... come on by TenTon studios, link:

http://www.tentonstudios.com/forum/index.php?topic=5288.0

If ya like, you can even throw a vote for one of them. Leave a comment!

I thought yours and khoi's were the best and formed a quality tier of their own. The others all fell into various levels of good, but something lesser. I would have a hard time choosing between your and khoi's, though. Both are many kinds of excellent and both were done in styles that appeal to me.

Storn? Wikipedia says this about Red Sonya's Origin.

In this story, Red Sonja lived with her family in a humble house in the Western Hyrkanian steppes (modern Ukraine/Russia). When she had just turned 17 years old, a group of mercenaries killed her family and burned down their house. Sonja survived but she had been brutally raped by the leader of the group, leaving her in shame. Answering her cry for revenge, the red goddess Scathach appeared to her, and instilled in her incredible skill in the handling of swords and other weapons on the condition that she would never lie with a man unless he defeated her in fair combat.

That's what I remember as well.

But REALLY sweet Phantom pic! Wow!

Uh' date=' Khoi didn't draw one. The one he posted was a comic book cover.[/quote']

Storn's quote from that very thread: "Khoi's is quite hansome. Invokes a bit of Winsor-Smith... and I dig that. I voted for it"

I assume, if storn voted for it... it was an actual entry?