Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Re: Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn? Wikipedia says this about Red Sonya's Origin.

In this story, Red Sonja lived with her family in a humble house in the Western Hyrkanian steppes (modern Ukraine/Russia). When she had just turned 17 years old, a group of mercenaries killed her family and burned down their house. Sonja survived but she had been brutally raped by the leader of the group, leaving her in shame. Answering her cry for revenge, the red goddess Scathach appeared to her, and instilled in her incredible skill in the handling of swords and other weapons on the condition that she would never lie with a man unless he defeated her in fair combat.

That's what I remember as well.

But REALLY sweet Phantom pic! Wow!

The original Red Sonya was from Robert E Howards story Shadow of the Vulture. Her first comic appearance was an adaptation of that story for a conan comic in 1973. The character, at that point, only differed in that she was called Red Sonja, and no longer used swords and pistols, but just swords. The storyline was almost identical to the REH story and the character was pretty much unchanged. This, however, resulted in a lawswuit. However, the character was really popular, so they dropped her into a scale mail bikini with leather gloves and boots and tacked on a somewhat lame background with some truly disturbing, warped psychological notions (on the part of the creators :thumbup: ) and thus escaped further lawsuits. At this point they are two distinct characters, but Red Sonja was originally Red Sonya. She just had a lychanthorpic comic book brain-bender attack. Amusingly, Red Sonya is no longer under copyright. She's public domain. You could actually go write books about her - though paradox entertainment might try to sue you. You can find the story on WikiSource (public domain).

The original Red Sonya was from Robert E Howards story Shadow of the Vulture. Her first comic appearance was an adaptation of that story for a conan comic in 1973. The character' date=' at that point, only differed in that she was called Red Son[b']j[/b]a, and no longer used swords and pistols, but just swords. The storyline was almost identical to the REH story and the character was pretty much unchanged. This, however, resulted in a lawswuit. However, the character was really popular, so they dropped her into a scale mail bikini with leather gloves and boots and tacked on a somewhat lame background with some truly disturbing, warped psychological notions (on the part of the creators :thumbup: ) and thus escaped further lawsuits. At this point they are two distinct characters, but Red Sonja was originally Red Sonya. She just had a lychanthorpic comic book brain-bender attack. Amusingly, Red Sonya is no longer under copyright. She's public domain. You could actually go write books about her - though paradox entertainment might try to sue you. You can find the story on WikiSource (public domain).

And if you're interested a Hero character sheet for Red Sonya: http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsbook/reh/redsonya.html

Not really Corsairs... I stole the gull wing look... but a corsair has a much longer fusilage... I shortened mine up considerably... because I wanted it to look a wee bit fantastical, like the ol' G-8 covers...

But I do like the Corsair, and I did reference them when I was doing this.

You don't have to tell me about the Corsair. :) I grew up on an airport and went to many airshows that had them exhibited. I even got to sit in one! It and the Lightning are the two piston-era fighters I like the most.

Shortening the fuselage made it fit better in the limited space, and did give it a much more "pulpy" feel IMO. Though I don't know what a G-8 cover is.

You could consider doing artwork for the Crimson Skies game... :yes:

I know Whedon would at least let him shoot first. :eg:

JG

With the Rep. Han has/had? Maybe not.

...and if Han does shoot first, well theres the rest of the crew vs everyones favorite hairball.

Thats a nice can'o worms youve got there.:D

It is time again for Top Ten Studios weekly challenge. Which is an excuse to work in some paint for me, as the art HAS to be done in some traditional format (ie, not digital!).

This week, I got to choose as I won the Phantom contest last week. I chose Clea: Mistress of the Mystic Arts and invited everyone to re-imagine her outfit.

The entries are a bit low on the numbers side, but the quality is really, really high this week. As I write this, I don't even have one vote yet. I got schooled. Josh really deserves this weeks win... he hit it out the park with his amazing angle on Clea.

So. Come check out many awesome Cleas here:

http://www.tentonstudios.com/forum/index.php?topic=5335.0

Vote for one if so inclined. Voting closes at midnight.

Sorceress72.jpg

It is time again for Top Ten Studios weekly challenge. Which is an excuse to work in some paint for me, as the art HAS to be done in some traditional format (ie, not digital!).

Sorceress72.jpg

Theres some really nice stuff there, thanks for pointing it out :thumbup:

This week, I got to choose as I won the Phantom contest last week. I chose Clea: Mistress of the Mystic Arts and invited everyone to re-imagine her outfit.

The entries are a bit low on the numbers side, but the quality is really, really high this week. As I write this, I don't even have one vote yet. I got schooled. Josh really deserves this weeks win... he hit it out the park with his amazing angle on Clea.

So. Come check out many awesome Cleas here:

http://www.tentonstudios.com/forum/index.php?topic=5335.0

Vote for one if so inclined. Voting closes at midnight.

Sorceress72.jpg

Wow, you weren't kidding about the quality, a lot of those are just amazing.

I thought yours was in the top-3. I though Josh, Jason, and your own were all impressive - but they were all good this time.

Very Nice Storn

How much does that kind of Background cost?

QM

Oh.... Because it is oil (and all kinds of mix media) and not digital... something like that would run about $150.00 for a private commission. But you would get an oil painting original at the end of that, instead of a digital facsimile.