Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Re: Storn's Art & Characters thread.

More art from our Tues (or Weds) 4th ed D&D game.

First up is Judd's PC, Elias Corvus... a Paladin of the RavenQueen. Judd was pretty evocative with his description. I had a pretty good sense of where to go with his pic.

Corvussk72.jpg

Next is A.'s PC, Exile. A once masked, mute tribal warrior (but is actually a rogue), he has found language and struck out into the wide, dangerous world. He is ritually scarred. The climate we are in, is near Exile's jungle... so I supposed a serengeti, african analog, as we are outside of the jungle, in rolling hills, grasslands etc. This climate influenced both Exile and my PC's pics... with Corvus sweating in all that heavy, black plate.

Exilesk72.jpg

Last one is my PC... Methamere Dray. I wanted him to influenced by the climate, hence the bare legs... He looks like a rogue, but he is really a wizard. Being an Eladrin, longsword is a proficiency weapon. Doesn't look much like a mage and I'm cool with that. Originally, last night, I drew him with long black hair... but I decided this morning to erase that and show him with shorn, short black hair. I think this is a sign of morning amond the Eladrin, after all, his entire family and the extended caravan that Meth grew up with has been wiped out. I like the short hair.

I dunno why, but the face and Dray's calves look a bit like John Byrne's work. Just one of those odd influences that can sneak into one's work, especially when doodling away.

Draysk72.jpg

If you are interested in the campaign at all, check out this thread on En World.

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=229295

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5

First up is Judd's PC, Elias Corvus... a Paladin of the RavenQueen. Judd was pretty evocative with his description. I had a pretty good sense of where to go with his pic.

I like how the axe looks like a beak - was that part of his description or did you add that in?

Originally, last night, I drew him with long black hair... but I decided this morning to erase that and show him with shorn, short black hair. I think this is a sign of morning amond the Eladrin, after all, his entire family and the extended caravan that Meth grew up with has been wiped out. I like the short hair.

Plus a lot cooler given the climate.

I dunno why, but the face and Dray's calves look a bit like John Byrne's work. Just one of those odd influences that can sneak into one's work, especially when doodling away.

Not a bad thing from my point of view, especially from his 'heyday'. The angular face with the hairstyle, slashing eybrows and pointed ears brings up images of Byrne's Namor so that might be what helps bring out some of the similarities.

Good stuff! :thumbup:

And I got into ANOTHER 4th ed D&D game. This time, smaller group, again with Judd. These characters really came together in a cool way during character creation. Judd and I were coming into an existing game, so we decided to tie our PCs together in the backstory.

And then I was simply "on" while doodling that night at the table. Might have something to do with the cardstock that I had JUST bought that day from OfficeMax...that I prefer drawing on. The way the pencil makes its marks and the ease of the stroke.... I just really like that surface to do pencil on.

So without too much more blah-de-blah blah... here are the pics.

First up, Bok, an Eladrin mage, who is awfully "bishi" and gets rather upset when we call him, her. Which has happened several times. When I heard the concept, I was mentally..."wow, that is going to be tough to pull off....that androgyny."... but I think I nailed it.

Boksk72.jpg

Then, we are going alphabetical, is my PC, Kendrick Dell. His 4 brothers are cops (city watchmen/guard), his father and uncle are cops. His 3 sisters married cops... and Kendrick WAS a cop. He loved being a cop. But, a stoopid noble got all drunk and pissy and came at Kendrick with a sword... even drunk, the damn noble was good, and Kendrick was forced to kill him in self defense. Problem. Noble family not happy. Kendrick is on the run, an outlaw and a criminal. Kendric is a fighter class.

Kendricsk72.jpg

Melech the Red's family also has a long tradtion.... of being assassins. Once for the Duke. Now, the family has fallen on hard times, and are knives for hire in "the City". Melech decided that his family was too far gone and made a run for it. Running into Kendric (they knew of each other prior) on the run from the law, the two teamed up to get outta Dodge and into a life of adventure.

Melechsk72.jpg

Petal is a cleric of Bahamut, like her mother. C., the player, told me that she likes to pick flowers and bonk evil on the head. Petal is pretty damn cool. She weaves flowers for each good deed that she does, hopefully looking to weave each Point of Light into a flexible fabric of Light. Making something lizard-y look feminine...not easy, but I think this came off well.

Petalsk72.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Then, we are going alphabetical, is my PC, Kendrick Dell. His 4 brothers are cops (city watchmen/guard), his father and uncle are cops. His 3 sisters married cops... and Kendrick WAS a cop. He loved being a cop. But, a stoopid noble got all drunk and pissy and came at Kendrick with a sword... even drunk, the damn noble was good, and Kendrick was forced to kill him in self defense. Problem. Noble family not happy. Kendrick is on the run, an outlaw and a criminal. Kendric is a fighter class.

Kendricsk72.jpg

Heh. Fantasy-noir. All the picture needs is a voice-over. "The night dragged out like a drunk on a two-day bender. Smelled like it, too." :D

With 4th ed D&D coming out, it seems like lots of folks want commissions along those lines. Here is something a bit different, a prop. A mystical sword that has been shattered into 5 parts and must be reforged as part of one group's quest.

DragonBlade72.jpg

And this LOOKS like a fantasy character, but is actually a trans-dimensional superhero character. I think it could work for a fantasy game too. Does 4th ed have rules to do other races besides its core? Cat people just seem to go with fantasy.

Pax72.jpg

Actually, the character in question (the catman Pax) started as a DnD character. When the campaign switched to Champions, the player liked the character so much he carried him over, and did so for about 4 different campaigns!

Actually' date=' the character in question (the catman Pax) started as a DnD character. When the campaign switched to Champions, the player liked the character so much he carried him over, and did so for about 4 different campaigns![/quote']

I have this strong memory of playing this character (or one extremely similar to him) in a con run at one time.

Did he have a brother who was also a feline?

Great picture, by the way. But this is Storn so that's a given. ;)

The broken sword is too "fantasy"-like for my taste. :thumbdown

And I think the whole idea is kinda old. :thumbdown

But I like Petal and Melech the Red! :thumbup:

The ricasso needs to be longer and the Parierhaken look too fragile.

Petal is a cleric of Bahamut, like her mother. C., the player, told me that she likes to pick flowers and bonk evil on the head. Petal is pretty damn cool. She weaves flowers for each good deed that she does, hopefully looking to weave each Point of Light into a flexible fabric of Light. Making something lizard-y look feminine...not easy, but I think this came off well.

Petalsk72.jpg

My buddy was looking at the Dragonborne in the PH and commenting how scary they look. I told him, "Hey, go check out Storn's thread on the Champs board. He drew a female Dragonborne and she's adorable!"

"Adorable?" my friend scoffed. "A big scary lizardy-thing is adorable?"

"If you doubt me, just go look," I dared.

A few minutes later, I heard him mumble.... "Yeah, OK. Um... that is really cute."

:rofl:

My buddy was looking at the Dragonborne in the PH and commenting how scary they look. I told him, "Hey, go check out Storn's thread on the Champs board. He drew a female Dragonborne and she's adorable!"

A few minutes later, I heard him mumble.... "Yeah, OK. Um... that is really cute."

Made my night last night when I read this. Thank you for sharing that little story.

Here is some more oddness from Death Tribble, Frank-einstien. boy, I love these strange requests I get sometimes. This was fun.

Stien72.jpg

A more traditional villain from Death Tribble, Snowstorm

Snow72.jpg

And this sketch was done last night while playing 4th ed... the Beetle Matrons are tough, undead squad leaders we've fought a few times over the last few sessions. My GM, B., made these guys up as a test of how quickly a monster could be made on the fly during a session. Pretty fast, it turns out, and very, very cool mechanically to fight.

BeetleMatron72.jpg

It's the flowers...AND the look of wide eyes golly gosh gee wiz glee on her face.

*grin*

Made my night last night when I read this. Thank you for sharing that little story.

Here is some more oddness from Death Tribble, Frank-einstien. boy, I love these strange requests I get sometimes. This was fun.

Stien72.jpg

{snip}

OK -- they're all good, but I really like Frank... :D

(have this strong memory of playing this character (or one extremely similar to him) in a con run at one time.

Did he have a brother who was also a feline?)

yes, that was Pax, and yes his "adopted" brother was also a PC. It was a game I ran with a partner of mine for a few years before he married a non-gamer and gravity ceased to affect him.

(have this strong memory of playing this character (or one extremely similar to him) in a con run at one time.

Did he have a brother who was also a feline?)

yes, that was Pax, and yes his "adopted" brother was also a PC. It was a game I ran with a partner of mine for a few years before he married a non-gamer and gravity ceased to affect him.

Cool! I loved that character! I think I may even have copies of the character sheets stowed away somewhere.

Kudos on a fun run, sir. :thumbup: