Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Re: Thanks Eric...

Here are couple of color interior pics that I did for Hero 6th edition and now that it is out, I can share...These were done primarily in Painter IX, a bit of Photoshop, over scanned pencils. I like the grittiness of the pencils bleeding through the digital paint here and there.

This first one was really Fred Hicks baby, he is the art director. He came up with the idea of a evil bard as the main antagonist for a intrepid band of adventurers. I really thought that was cool. I sorta went pied piper.

Bard172.jpg

This one was the 2nd in a series about this heroic duo that I made up to represent the more sword and sorcery vibe that Hero 6th could do (as opposed to D&D vibe, the band of heroes thing). I knew Fred loved Apes and Gorillas...so I made one of the duo just that.

Duo272.jpg

images are shown with permission by Hero Games

Re: Thanks Eric...

Here are couple of color interior pics that I did for Hero 6th edition and now that it is out, I can share...These were done primarily in Painter IX, a bit of Photoshop, over scanned pencils. I like the grittiness of the pencils bleeding through the digital paint here and there.

This first one was really Fred Hicks baby, he is the art director. He came up with the idea of a evil bard as the main antagonist for a intrepid band of adventurers. I really thought that was cool. I sorta went pied piper.

Ian Anderson would be proud. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Storn's Art & Characters thread.

This is a character for Diaspora, a sci-fi game that is pretty solid in its science. My character is Anton Kilkenny and is basically Bret Maverick who is an ex-starship engineer.

The "VA" was my quickie logo for "Valiance Arms", a sorta proxy for the Dutch East Indian Company for this scifi world. We work for Valiance Arms as explorers, diplomats and traders in the game itself.

Antonsk72.jpg

Next up is the spaceship, Libertine. Which is based on some concepts from Atomic Rocket. These ships are never atmospheric. It was my morning warm up sketch this morning.

Libertinesk72.jpg

Atomic Rocket: http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/

Here is our actual play report and set-up:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/story-hour/267843-diaspora-friday-night-science-fiction.html#post5015741

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Generic

I think that is Bravo of the Sentinels (CU: NOW pp.56-59).

Darn! The Sentinels are there too?!? And Mechanon doesn't even look scratched!

Great work, Storn! :) But I miss Seeker. It's just not the same without him in an "I'm about to get pulped" pose. :(

These sketches are from our friday night diaspora game. The game has been very inspiring. Link here:

http://story-games.com/forums/comments.php?DiscussionID=10882&page=1#Item_0

I sketched up the rest of the Libertine crew. I had another pic for Anthony's Saffron Delaney...but I wasn't happy with it, so I re-sketched him. I also want to resketch my own guy at some point. Because we hadn't played with Anthony yet (he missed the first session), I hadn't heard his description of his character....and that first session, I had described my PC as being a tall, gangly dancer like body... sorta playing against typical starship engineer body-type. But with Carter Manning coming in at 6'3" (totally fine with super-leader clone) and then Anthony declares that Saffron is 6'7" due to genetics. Again fine. But in my head, I was like "what?!?! 3 tall, beanpoles, we could be the Libertine GRAV Basketball Team....and I just wasn't into wanting to be yet another tall dude. I was think 6'4", Tom Selleck height)... so I retro described being 5'10" and stocky, more in line with an engineer who has to clamber around a 40 year old spaceship to keep it going.

Libertinecrew72.jpg

I also doodled up my soon to be revealed daughter, Andrea. I think she had a scavenger, hard-scrabble life on the planet Scranton.

Andreask72.jpg

And this morning for my warm-up sketch, I did Anton again. Made him a bit stockier (and a lot more handsome... not sure how that happened...some times the pencil has a will of its own). I'm much happier with this version.

AntonII72.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Once in awhile, I get the urge to show the steps I take in creating a painting. This is one of those times. Partly because I have a tough job ahead of me. This private commission came with sketches from the client. The one I worked from the most from is this:

ClientKalsk.jpg

Added to that was 3 staves and a rod... oh...yeah, that doodle of the rod of splendor was done by me at Gencon in front of the client while I was writing down notes from him.

But there is a real joy in working on the imaginations of others. It takes me out of my comfort zone. Like, wow, those are some seriously Georgia O'Keefe inspired staff heads! Not something I would do if left to my own devices. Nor do I tend to do sexy outfits all that often.

Here is my version in pencil sketch form. You might notice there isn't any of the wire/bead/thong holding up the halter and girdle. And the hair is just kinda blasted in there. That is because I find it is much easier to paint those details on top of the skin or cloth or the background than try to paint around those little, thin shapes.

note: I skipped the roman sandals bit. I just couldnt' get it to look right with those bends in the toes.

As soon as I get the underpainting done, I will put that up too.

Kalhandrask72.jpg

Continuing on with the underpainting. Now, i am just getting values down, not so concern with chroma of the color or it's hue... like I know her skin tones are going to be cooler and darker, keeping with a drow skintone. Having a warm underpainting, I hope, will keep that cool skin tone believable, yet still read as alien and drow. A tough tightrope to walk.

KalU.jpg

And an extra. A very late commission for a Scion game (White Wolf) I believe and this is the daughter of Thor. I drew her for the patron one time before and this is her "more experienced"... and there hopefully will be a third. The patron was very specific about the "power pose" and provide reference for everything from the goat head, the motorcycle to what the t-shirt sez. I LOVE working with patrons like that, who do a lot of the reference grunt work for me!!!

Anka272.jpg

And an extra. A very late commission for a Scion game (White Wolf) I believe and this is the daughter of Thor. I drew her for the patron one time before and this is her "more experienced"... and there hopefully will be a third. The patron was very specific about the "power pose" and provide reference for everything from the goat head, the motorcycle to what the t-shirt sez. I LOVE working with patrons like that, who do a lot of the reference grunt work for me!!!

Anka272.jpg

This is from White Wolf's excellent Scion game.

'Anka Zaleski' (below) was from the Hero stage of the campaign. 'Anka, daughter of Thor' (above) is from the DemiGod stage. If the campaign reaches its conclusion, I'm aiming for 'Anka, Goddess of Protection' sometime next year...:winkgrin:

Anka72.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I worked on this commission painting before the holidays. Work, both freelance and part-time got very busy during the holidays and I'm only getting back to this today. But I thought I would scan it in and share where I am up to this point.

I find drow skin tones very difficult. I'm not going to worry to much more about them until the whole painting is blocked in. Then I'll go back and tweak. Very difficult, but a blast to play with. Somehow working in that dark blue for someone's skin is a total hoot!

Well, here is the 1/2 or 1/3 point. Comments and critiques are welcome!

KalinP1.jpg