Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Tried resending e-mail but still no dice so I'll repeat the questions here. Most importantly are these:-

Standard cost for a picture is $45. How much extra for shipping overseas to Britain ?

If hard copy and shipping essential would it be cheaper to ask for several to be done and get them all shipped at the same time ?

I have several ideas I would like to see done and would be willing to wait to see the finished article as a hard copy if it was cheaper to get a group of them together. This is the shipping cost I am talking about. The $45 a picture has been made clear is non-negotiable.

Once I have the Shipping costs sorted out then I can arrange PayPal.

As to the artwork, if I wanted a Medusa with multi coloured snakes for hair and one large snake coming from the centre of the head and coming down by one of the arms, would it be easier or better for you to have that as a full figure or as a cropped figure (waist and up) ?

Secondly if I said I wanted a Ring Mistress with red coat and top hat as in a circuis, would you know what I was on about ?

d.t.

shipping is pretty much a non-issue. The reason being that most of the private commissions I do, are colored digitally or at the very least tweaked digitally. So, there is often no real original. A pencil sketch or scribblings, sometimes an ink piece... but most of the time the color, the creme de creme... is digital.

So the artwork will come to you as 300 dpi jpg or tif. This will print nicely enough.

Medusa: It isn't a question of what is easier... but I think the closer you can get to her face, the more dramatic it will be. Pulling back the camera minimizes some of the power that writhing head has.

Ring Mistress: Sure.

Hope that helps... and thank you for your interest!

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my brand new character, Barracuda.

I'm looking forward to him joining the New Champions (In RDU, The champions disappeared a few years ago interdimensionally, never to return. In their stead has been a hobcobbled crew. Now, we have laid some plots to rest in the main superteam, Vanguard, and are looking forward to starting with some younger, newer blood.)

Compliments

All I can say is that your artwork is very very nice. I have hopes of getting a commision done by you in the near future when my finances clear up (after christmas) :) :) I have also sent your web page to everyone in my gaming group and told them what amazing work you have been doing and do. And who knows maybe I can talk my wife into getting one done as a Christmas present for me. :)

Re: Compliments

Originally posted by Shikarr

All I can say is that your artwork is very very nice. I have hopes of getting a commision done by you in the near future when my finances clear up (after christmas) :) :) I have also sent your web page to everyone in my gaming group and told them what amazing work you have been doing and do. And who knows maybe I can talk my wife into getting one done as a Christmas present for me. :)

Thanks for the plugs!!

• 2 weeks later...

For those asking about the female martial artist Storn did for UMA mini-comic (and from the cover of Ninja HERO), I discussed some ideas with him and wrote her up as a 350-point superhero (3-section staff and all). However, as she is meant for a possible HERO Games project I intend to pitch to HERO (everyone tell Steve to say "YES!" to a NH Companion :D ), all I can tell you is her name is "Silk Whirlwind."

• 2 weeks later...

Not game art, but maybe needs a female explorer, archeologists.

Actually, this is a modern ode to the WWII pin up. I have a friend over in Afghanistan at the moment. We can communicate by e-mails...which brings that part of the world into sharp focus...especially while listening to BBC World, which does such a better job of reporting than our own news services.

So I hope it brings a smile to his face and perhaps to yours...

Storn,

Your work is simply amazing, truely it is... but I have to pass this one comment on that my wife made as she was looking at your work. "Why aren't there more female heroes?" With which I just responded with the stupid husband response of "uhhh...."

Now since I haven't commented on any of your art I will do so on a few, if you don't mind. ;)

Viktor: The use of the yellow was awesome, it brought out a sense of holy like and divine purpose to the character that was much more then just a warrior in plate with a few magic items. Well done!

Vector family: Awesome emotion in this piece. For those of us that play superhero roleplaying or even imagine it and have families, this is a touching piece to say the least. My only dislike about the picture was that the wife was kinda bland, not many line to define her as a character and she was pushed to the side of the frame loosing focus.

Sirocco / Speedball: You have a very good nack a catching the feel and moment of a speedster. I particularly enjoyed the color choices and overall designs of there outfits. Judging by the suits I would say that Sirocco is use to going a bit faster then Speedball.

Sina Catalyst: This piece jumped at me. But then I am a sucker for green on black :) I'm not sure which is which but overall I like the one wielding the energy sword, except for the chest area, something just doesn't sit right about it. The energy projector has a few things I disliked, mainly in the face/head area. The hair was a bit to long, but only because it confuses the gender at quick glance. I would have liked to seen maybe a bit more radiosity from the right hand energy glow on the right cheek. Overall very grabbing picture!

Neko: Beautiful. I enjoy this one a lot.

The Girl in Flight: This one has jumped at me since I first saw it in the book. More so since you colored it. I don't know why, but you seemed to capture the female superhero form in flight perfect. Great job.

Firewing: What is there to say? Earth doesn't look quite right. :)

Energetix: I would love to see her polished and colored.

Chango: This guy looks like a mean one. Would be interesting to see him interact as a character.

Beacon: I like this one, but there are a few points I would like to address. The staff looks correct perspective wise, but the magical ring looks flat to the viewer. The inside of the cloak could maybe use some more cloth lines? The biggest one that jumped at me was her chest, mainly the left side is wrong, at least visually. I like the fact that the fireball casts a yellow glow on the surrounding cloth, good work. Good work.

Ash: I instantly recognized the ship and the setting you were portraying. Loved the style! Awesome work.

Sorry if this was so long. Please keep up the good work Storn :D

Well, why so few superhero females? That is a difficult question to nail down with an answer. I think there are many reasons. Most of it due to comics. There is one legendary icon of superhero females. One. Wonder Woman. Certainly other females that are dynamite characters...but they aren't icons (Sue Storm jumps to mind, love her character, but sorry not an icon). Compare Wonder Woman to Capt. America, Superman, Batman, Spiderman are THE classic icons of supers... everyone in the world recognizes those characters.

Why this disporportion? Simple, the audience. The readership of comics has traditionally been 90% male and young males at that. Male readers identify with male characters. I think female readership of comics is up, to about 18% of the market, the last decade has seen a nice increase... but still no where near parity.

Now, lets talk about roleplaying, Champions and other super hero RPGs. The comic venue influence the RPG venue mightly... this is the genre we seek to emulate. Since I'm not a cheesecake artist by nature, despite an occasional foray, I tend to drift towards white, males as the thing to draw when left to my own devices. because I'm a white male. You draw what you know.

Then the art that I post here is a mix of art I do for the games I'm in and private commissions. What character types I'm handed to do in Private Commissions, I have no control over besides saying no. I draw what folks request. If I get 90% super males to draw, that's what I draw.

This same thing came up in a thread about a lack of racial diversity in the Fantasy Hero book and all of RPGs. All I can say is that I try. I try to do as many women that I can think of. I try and do racial (hate that word, there is no such thing as seperate race within humanity).... cultural diversity. Sometimes I have carte blanche in an illo, sometimes I have to do something very specific. But let me assure you that I do think on this subject with considerable effort. That I'm aware that this disparity exists.

Btw, my newest PC is a Cuban-american...at least he ain't totally USofA white culture.

As for the Vector family wife, Karen aka Oracle. Karen, as I see her, is beautiful to my character...but she isn't the most beautiful woman in RDU. That physical plainess is very much part of that character... not that Karen is a plain character, but she is unassuming, quiet, introspective to contrast with my character's drive, ambition, hubris and sturm un drang. And it is also very, very hard to draw a woman in her 30s... I find that the most difficult age to get across... it is so easy to slip back to the 20s or make her look 50...one slip of a line is all it takes to transform a woman's face. Men's faces are so much easier to gradually age.

Having said all that, I'm not completely happy with Vecor or Oracle in that pic. Its good, but not perfect. I put a lot of effort into Hope, the baby, because I draw babies almost never. That was a day I distinctly recall that was a real struggle... much erasing happened. So I did the best that I could at that moment and moved on. especially since it was for my own yuks and not for publication.

But thank you for taking the time and interest in my work. You bring up good things to ponder.

Sirocco / Speedball: You have a very good nack a catching the feel and moment of a speedster. I particularly enjoyed the color choices and overall designs of there outfits. Judging by the suits I would say that Sirocco is use to going a bit faster then Speedball.

Sirocco is faster than Speedball (sorry Geoff , who is on these boards as I write this, just noticed.) But Speedball has some great speedster tricks that Sirocco doesnt. Like those ball bearings chucked at high speed! So, that was intentional in the way I drew those characters. Glad ya noticed!

The Girl in Flight: This one has jumped at me since I first saw it in the book. More so since you colored it. I don't know why, but you seemed to capture the female superhero form in flight perfect. Great job.

Yeah... she is one of my favorites. My art list asked for super flying in front of buildings.. that was it. Here was one of those times I stopped myself and said "ok, what can I do that isn't a superman, white guy ripoff?" And the idea of a mostly white costume, combined with light brown hair... a hair color one doesn't see very often in comics, yet plenty of women have that hair color... was enough to cement that idea in my head. I've used her whenever I could in subsequent books.

Chango: This guy looks like a mean one. Would be interesting to see him interact as a character.

Chango was my attempt to take a character who was cursed by a Voodoo god with "stupidity" and had thrown off that curse into a more serious contender. Chango was actually a very relaxed, loveable, goof. But was wrapped up in events way beyond his control. Its one of my favorites and my inking on that reminds me a bit of Alan Davis/Paul Neary combo... not that I'm comparing myself to them... but see the influence in my own work.

Originally posted by Storn

Sirocco is faster than Speedball (sorry Geoff , who is on these boards as I write this, just noticed.) But Speedball has some great speedster tricks that Sirocco doesnt. Like those ball bearings chucked at high speed! So, that was intentional in the way I drew those characters. Glad ya noticed!

He can handle not being the fastest. He's still new at this superhero game anyway. I'm just hoping that he gets included in the Ultimate Speedster, whenever that comes out. If I don't get to play him, I can at least know that he's been immortalized!

Here is Victrix, a character that I drew for my second assignment for Hero Games waaaaay back in 4th ed Champions Universe. She has always been a integral part of Neil's RDU game and recent events have brought this beloved NPC to the forefront. When the original Champions disappeared, Victrix, having lost the Freedom Squad in Philly, stepped into the void. Now the New Champions, with new PCs are being formed... Barracuda, who I shown early in this thread is one of the Newbies. Demonstar, posted really early in this thread and is Eric's PC is another. So Neil requested that I update her, including making her in her 30s. So I tried. Up to you if I succeeded or not.

If you see any simularities between Victrix and my PC Vector... that was intentional. They are cousins, both tekes...although my PC is much more powerful, Victrix has a incredible network of contacts and is one very determined NPC and a bit of a spitfire to boot.

Originally posted by Storn

Demonstar, posted really early in this thread and is Eric's PC is another.

Hey, Storn. I love Victrix. I liked the original image, too, but this one's even better. It's neat to see an update of an old favorite. You mentioned Demonstar, but I couldn't find the image you refer to. Can you point us to the message or post the image again?

Originally posted by RobCRogers

Hey, Storn. I love Victrix. I liked the original image, too, but this one's even better. It's neat to see an update of an old favorite. You mentioned Demonstar, but I couldn't find the image you refer to. Can you point us to the message or post the image again?

Page 5 of this thread, somewhat in the middle. Or you can try:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=20499

Enf... since Vector and Victrix are cousins and Veer is a clone of Vector... maybe color sense is genetic? Maybe, just maybe, I did that on purpose?