Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Re: Storn's Art & Characters thread.

AND HE IS BACK! No, I'm not talking about myself. But the THIRD rendition of Hurricane. ... and the last one I do. If this doesn't do it... I throw my hands up in the air and just say that I just can't get this character down on paper. Dunno why this one has been so hard, but it has.

I went more towards a Capt. Britain type helmet, but I was really thinking about the goggles of Kubert's Enemy Ace quite a bit, so the lenses of the mask are much more like that than Cap Britain's. I went for more "delta" shapes in the pattern, paying homage to the shape of a wing. I also brighten up both the green and tan/browns to make it a bit more superhero-y.

hurricane372.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Generic

I realize the commission-er (hehe get it?) wanted the RAF symbol prominent, but I think it would have looked better if it was used as shoulder pads.

I really like it, and think you did capture the feeling of Captain Britain without just changing his costume.

Another challenge at ArtOrder.

This one was to include a female knight fighting a beholder in a forest clearing. But here is the rub. While maintaining a "fantasy" vibe, it had to target a demographic that we don't usually work for.

So, the target audiences was broken down into these categories:

Under 2 (infant)

2-4 (pre-school)

5-7 (early elementary)

8-12 (tween)

13-17 (teen)

18-24 (young adult)

25-34

35-44

45+

Now, usually I work between young adult and 35-44... the rpg market. So in order to go beyond my usual demographic targets, I had to go either to tween and younger or older.

Well, my first instinct was to go younger. But then the thread over at the ArtBlog showed me that everyone was doing that. So I went older, for the 45+ market. The retired folks. And that made me think of AARP. Then I knew I had a more editorial, political commentary idea to talk about. I never get even think of doing something political, so I was kinda excited to do something along these lines. So here is my entry.

By the way, I'm the only one who did 45+. I have some small sense of pride about that!

Here is the original link to the challenge: http://theartorder.com/2011/02/23/segmentation-and-art/

Here is the link to the 32 submissions, mind included:

http://theartorder.com/2011/03/21/segmentation-line-up/comment-page-1/#comment-3195

And for those who don't want to click through all those submissions, here is my artwork:

StornCookSegmentationF.jpg

Another commission for RDUNeil. This is Killenger, a Viper nest leader, but in recent years, somewhat of a sometimes ally to various superteams, including the Mavericks.

Killinger72.jpg

And another commission for Death Tribble, his idea was to combine a Bulette from D&D with a bullet train ala japanese rail.

BuletteTrain72.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

And another commission for Death Tribble, his idea was to combine a Bulette from D&D with a bullet train ala japanese rail.

BuletteTrain72.jpg

Yes. The Bulette Train. Don't blame me, this was a friend's pun

A duo of dynamic dames, thematically arranged around snake and spider. Boa is up first and is another commission by Death Tribble.

Boa72.jpg

Next up is Aranea.

Aranea72.jpg

Next up is Aranea.

Darned recharge time on rep... I really like how you placed the spider-symbol/motif on Aranea...