Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Originally posted by Bluefire

Very nice picture! Another hero female, the signifigant other will be pleased! :)

Thank you for posting another, please keep it up.

Yeah, I thought Neil's request was a bit of good timing considering we just had this conversation about a lack of female supers.

To the point about "lack of female supers" I have to agree. As the primary GM of RDU, I have had to try and populate the world with a much more diverse group of NPCs than our playing group (midwestern white males) would normally generate.

Most of the NPCs I try to create are female. On the few occasions I've been able to play in the RDU, I've played predominantly female characters. (Wild Heart, Cyber Blade...)

I feel I can portray a strong, modern, western cultured woman pretty well... but I admit that I'm honestly stumped at portraying a realistic female from, say, Africa or Asia or the Balkans or South America. I just don't know these people, their cultures, etc. Cliches from books, movies and comics all come into play, which sometimes work, and sometimes seem stale and demeaning.

It ain't easy... but I try. Too often they can become tag-along cheerleaders by their nature as NPCs. (I hate to give screen time to NPCs, unless it is really needed. The game should be players playing, IMO.) I'd love to have some female players, but I've honestly not met any who would be comfortable in our aggressive, fast paced, somewhat competitive play style. (Many guys are not comfortable with it, I should add.)

I got to see Storn's work in the as yet unreleased Hero Games suppelments this weekend at Gencon SoCal. Very Nice (I'm sure you all expect no less).

To the topic of female characters, I have far more female NPCs in my game than male. I draw women better than men and I tend to make characters based on my drawings (rather than the other way around). I currently have 4x as many female NPCs as male. (That's a world I want to live in! ;) )

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by Storn Ya know? I thought by now that this thread would rate 5 stars.... sheesh . How's that for ego....Anyway, back to the art. This is a private commission for one Alex Karaczun and his character "Quasar". Hope y'all like it. Lots of fun with photoshop!
Well I voted 5 stars.For those of you who might be interested, here is the current write up of Quasar to go along with the picture.QuasarPlayer: Alex Karaczun
Val Char Cost
40 STR 30
26 DEX 48
30 CON 40
15 BODY 10
15 INT 5
15 EGO 10
25 PRE 15
10 COM 0
21 PD 13
21 ED 15
6 SPD 24
14 REC 0
60 END 0
50 STUN 0
6" RUN02" SWIM08" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 210
Cost Power END
30 A Living star: Life Support (Eating Character does not eat; Longevity Immortal; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing; Sleeping Character does not sleep)
10 Energized body: Damage Resistance (10 PD/10 ED)
5 Detached Humanity: Mental Defense (8 points total)
8 Eyes like the sun: Sight Group Flash Defense (8 points)
10 Vision Powers: Multipower, 10-point reserve
1u 1) Keen Sight: +2 PER with Sight Group (4 Active Points)
1u 2) Starsight: Nightvision (5 Active Points)
1u 3) Megascale Sight: Normal Sight, Megascale (1"=1km) (6 Active Points)
1u 4) Nuclear Vision: N-Ray Perception (Sight Group) (10 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2) 1
70 Plasma Powers: Multipower, 70-point reserve
7u 1) Plasma Blast: Energy Blast 14d6 (70 Active Points) 7
7u 2) Plasma Bomb: Energy Blast 9d6, Explosion (+1/2) (67 Active Points) 7
7u 3) Nova: Sight, Hearing and Radio Groups Flash 8d6, Explosion (+1/2) (67 Active Points) 7
7u 4) Fusion Bolts: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6+1, Autofire (5 shots; +1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (70 Active Points) 7
30 Flight Powers: Multipower, 30-point reserve
3u 1) Tactical Flight: Flight 15" (30 Active Points) 3
3u 2) Escape Velocity: Flight 10", Megascale (1" = 1 km; +1/4), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (30 Active Points) 1
2u 3) Underwater Flight: Flight 10", Usable Underwater (+1/4) (25 Active Points) 2
Powers Cost: 203
Cost Skill
3 Breakfall 14-
3 Computer Programming 12-
3 Oratory 14-
3 PS: Corporate Executive 14-
3 SS: Nuclear Physics 12-
3 Tactics 12-
3 Teamwork 14-
24 +3 with All Combat
Skills Cost: 45
Cost Perk
5 Money: Well Off
5 Vehicles & Bases
Perks Cost: 10
Val Disadvantages
15 Distinctive Features: Gives off small amounts of mutagenic radiation Not Concealable, Extreme Reaction, Detectable Only By Unusual Senses
15 Distinctive Features: Glowing plasma charged body Not Concealable, Noticed and Recognizable, Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses
15 Distinctive Features: Otherworldly voice Not Concealable, Noticed and Recognizable, Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses
20 Hunted: Viper 8- (Occasionally), As Powerful, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish
15 Hunted: Ray of Project Sunburst 8- (Occasionally), As Powerful, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish
10 Psychological Limitation: Protects the weak and innocent Common, Moderate
10 Psychological Limitation: Reluctant to kill (Uncommon, Strong)
25 Psychological Limitation: Sees self as beyond mortal Very Common, Total
15 Social Limitation: Public ID "Quasar" Leader of Millennium Force Frequently (11-), Major
10 Susceptibility: In strong magnetic field, 1d6 damage per Turn Uncommon
Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200Experience Required: 118Total Experience Available: 121Experience Unspent: 3Total Character Cost: 468

Height: 1.93 m Hair: None
Weight: 98.00 kg Eyes: Bright white
Appearance: Quasar looks like a well muscled male with no body hair. His body is no longer made of solid flesh and bone, but is instead composed of purplish-blue plasma. The plasma is held together in the form of a human being by Quasar’s willpower (although he is not aware of this). His body constantly glows emitting visible light and mutagenic radiation. A nimbus of plasma continuously roils at the edge of his form. Occasionally motes of plasma detach from this nimbus and die out in a few seconds. Quasar’s eyes have no visible iris or pupil, but they glow with a slightly paler and brighter light than the rest of him. All normal features of a human male are visible through the plasma except hair and genitals.Personality: As a man Quasar was intelligent and driven to achieve. As a superhero he can be cold and calculating, but truly cares for those he protects. As Quasar grows in power he moves ever further mentally from his humanity, seeing himself as more (or greater) than average humans. Eventually he will become quite dispassionate, but still highly driven to overcome the villainy he sees around him.

Quasar has a personal rivalry with Defender and the Champions. Since Quasar was the leader of the New Champions before they were ousted for the current group of Champions, he rarely gives the new team their due and often publicly derides them pleading with them to get out of the dangerous business of superheroes before "one of them gets seriously hurt or even killed."

Quote:"Stand aside Defender! The real superheroes are here."Background: Powers/Tactics: Quasar’s primary power is the ability to cast plasma bolts from his hands. Quasar almost always flies during combat. He is a team player, but is not above sacrificing a teammate to gain tactical advantage, or to deliver an attack that would be particularly devastating to an enemy.Campaign Use: Quasar is the leader of Millennium Force based in Millennium City. He has vast amounts of money (currently in frozen assets) through Starling Enterprises, his biochemical company. Unlike many superheroes he has a publicist, and makes many public appearances.Enjoy!QuasarEarth's Mightiest Hero

Originally posted by Tech

Not having time to check this right now but is this one (if not the) #1 most viewed forums?

On other thoughts, with all the cool art you draw Storn, do you ever play a Hero Games game?

check this thread out for the brand new campaign I was in JUST last night:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=217397#post217397

Yes, I've been playing Hero since Danger International in 1983, waaaay before I worked for the company. I played mostly DI and Fantasy Hero, coming to Champions quite late. But I always wanted to be in a solid Champions campaign due to my love of comic books. I think it has had influence on my art and storytelling with illustration.

I freelanced for Hero (4th ed) while in Art School. They are my oldest client now, although I started working for ICE first, and then begged and pleaded to get a chance to work for Hero. ICE had the Hero license at the time under Monte Cook... no relation, no nepotism, btw. My first Hero product was Normals Unbound. About the same time, I met RDU Neil, and embarked for the next 11/12 years in his Champions campaign, which has been going on for 17!!!

Lot of Hero play under my belt.

Thanks for asking!

Here you go...The ShadePlayer: Alex Karaczun

Val Char Cost
20 STR 10
26 DEX 48
25 CON 30
15 BODY 10
15 INT 5
13 EGO 6
20 PRE 10
14 COM 2
7/10 PD 3
7/10 ED 2
6 SPD 24
9 REC 0
50 END 0
38 STUN 0
6" RUN02" SWIM04" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 150
Cost Power END
60 Molecular Control: Multipower, 60-point reserve
3u 1) Phase Dodge: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points)
3u 2) Phase Dodge: Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points)
6u 3) Phase Shifting: Desolidification , Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4), Usable By Other (+1/4) (60 Active Points) 5
1u 4) Gliding 11" (11 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (-1/2) [Notes: Must full move downward for every 1" forward. Cannot gain altitude.]
5u 5) Phase Punch: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6+1 (1 1/2d6 w/STR), No Normal Defense (+1), Does BODY (+1) (60 Active Points); No Knockback (-1/4) [Notes: Defense is any type of Force Field.] 6
1u 6) No Air Friction: Running 5" (10 Active Points) 1
6 Cloak: +3 with DCV (15 Active Points); Activation Roll 11- (-1), OIF (-1/2)
8 Instant Change: Cosmetic Transform 2d6 (Costume into any clothing), Improved Target Group (+1/4) (12 Active Points); Limited Target Limited (-1/2) 1
13 Life Support (Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing) (19 Active Points); Linked (Phase Shifting; -1/2)
5 Strong Willed: Mental Defense (8 points total)
Powers Cost: 111
Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
4 Counterstrike: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, 6d6 Strike, Must Follow Block
4 Fast Strike: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +0 DCV, 6d6 Strike
5 Flying Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +4 DCV, Dodge All Attacks, Abort; FMove
3 Legsweep: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -1 DCV, 5d6 Strike, Target Falls
4 Martial Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
4 Martial Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
3 Martial Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 4d6 +v/5, Target Falls
Martial Arts Cost: 27
Cost Skill
3 Acrobatics 14-
3 Breakfall 14-
3 Concealment 12-
3 Criminology 12-
3 Deduction 12-
10 Defense Maneuver I-IV
3 Forensic Medicine 12-
3 Interrogation 13-
3 Power 11-
5 Rapid Attack (HTH)
3 Stealth 14-
3 Streetwise 13-
3 Tactics 12-
24 +3 with All Combat
Skills Cost: 72
Cost Talent
6 Combat Luck: 3 PD/3 ED
Talents Cost: 6
Val Disadvantages
20 Dependent NPC: Fiona Wagner (wife) 11- (Occasionally), Normal, Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID
15 Enraged: When witnessing normals killed by supers Common, go 11-, recover 14-
10 Hunted: The Mob 8- (Occasionally), Less Powerful, NCI, Harshly Punish
20 Hunted: V.I.P.E.R. 11- (Frequently), As Powerful, NCI, Harshly Punish
20 Psychological Limitation: Code vs Killing Common, Total
10 Psychological Limitation: Vengeful Uncommon, Strong
10 Reputation: Vigilante, Frequently (11-)
15 Social Limitation: Secret ID (Simon Wagner/Millenium City Assistant Coroner) Frequently (11-), Major
5 Social Limitation: Harmful Secret - His hero activities could cost him his job if revealed Occasionally (8-), Minor
25 Susceptibility: Containment Fields, 1d6 damage per Segment Common
Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200Experience Required: 16Total Experience Available: 19Experience Unspent: 3Total Character Cost: 366

Height: 1.91 m Hair: Brown
Weight: 92.00 kg Eyes: Brown
Appearance: The Shade appears as a tall skinny man dressed in an impeccably tailored black double breasted suit. Over the suit he wears a black high collared cape which billows about as if blown by wind even when there is no breeze. He also wears black leather gloves, black dress shoes, and a black, wide brimmed hat (similar to a Stetson). His face is obscured in shadows except for the occasional glint from his eyes. He often carries a black walking cane topped with a golden lion's head.Personality: Quote:Background: Powers/Tactics: The Shade's primary power is his Phase Punch which allows his fist (or foot) to enter an enemy's body partly desolidified causing major cellular disruption damage. The Shade is also an accomplished martial artist. His style is similar to French Savate, and uses his walking cane.Campaign Use: Quasar Leader of Millennium Force

Originally posted by Storn

Thanks again, Alex, for sharing. I think some folks will be likely to swipe your character sheets and the artwork you commissioned. Makes for a useful package.

It would be easier to swipe if the HDC file were attached... :D;)