Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Re: Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Well, photobucket blocked that illo. I thought the little magic, brass thingees on the nipples would suffice. Guess I was wrong.

Heck even I've had things blocked from Photobucket using the Fabrica program. I even think I got one banned because I named the image "Bombshell". Photobucket is a pain like that.

• 2 weeks later...

First up, a couple of character concept commissions from long time patron, Death Tribble. (Kinda mouthful sentence there....sheesh.) Anyway, he wanted an evil wonder woman type playing with short, platinum hair against the Amazon princess black locks, skull motifs instead of american flag motifs etc.

Then, he asked for a super agent wearing a jet pack using a blaster. And it was his idea of the sorta flight suit orange... a very cool choice in my opinion.

evilWWF72II.jpg

jetbackagent72.jpg

Next up calls for a bit of explanation. I did "Swords Defiant" several years ago in Genesis oils. It is one of the few illustrations I have done simply for myself. I had the pose idea in my head and I wanted to do it, so I did. It wasn't for a publisher or commission. However, Tim Gray of Silver Branch Games did eventually want it for his Jaws of the 6 Serpents RPG and so it became the cover... and I ended up running Jaws for a mini campaign of about 9 episodes and a very fun game it was too!

I don't think I've posted Swords before, or recently, Tim did point that I did not have it on my Photobucket. Turns out I did, on the very first page of 17, on my Photobucket, understandable how it could be missed.

Tim recently asked me to do a cover for the upcoming Serpents' Teeth, a Jaws expansion. We talked about a few different predone things I had kicking around...and one was a sketch i had done for the sequel to that Jaws game. A ninja-ish fantasy woman I had drawn for an NPC (who only appeared for in one episode). Tim and I also talked about it being a nocturne, to contrast nicely with the first cover. Yin-yang, day-night, desert-urban, male-female. So taking that base sketch, re-working the face (we didn't want a mask on her) and working in some urban elements, here is what you end up with.

Link to Jaws of the Six Serpents: http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=60595&it=1

The initial character concept sketch:

TwinShadows72sk.jpg

The original Jaws of the Six Serpents cover

DefSwordloRes-1.jpg

And the follow up expansion cover for Serpents' Teeth:

JawsIIcover72.jpg

Been meaning to put these up for awhile. The book, Totems of the Dead, has been out for a couple of weeks now.... and I really want to give it a plug. It is a really cool sword and sorcery setting using a mythical Americas (North and South). The setting is for Savage Worlds and I've read quite a bit of the player's guide and some of the GM guide. Really cool stuff! Highly recommend!!! Very good art, I'm just one of several, and all of them are excellent!

link to the players guide: http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=94693&filters=0_0_0_0

link to the gm guide: http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=95603&filters=0_0_0_0

And here are some samples of the art I did for the books. I used liquid acrylic and watercolor over loose pencils.

First up, Mesa Verde, which I've actually been to. I've got a watercolor of it, done on that spot during my vacation. It was nice to "re-visit" it.

mesavillageF72.jpg

The Atlanteans in Totems are kinda melnibonean bad guys, slavers and possessors of higher tech and low numbers. Very S&S.

AtlSlaveMistressF72.jpg

The Vikings in Totems have colonized some of NE north America, called Skraelings, their iron weapons are feared and respected. Who doesn't want to draw valkyries fighting aztec leopard warriors? C'mon!?!? I felt like Joe Kubert (not that I'm comparing his art to mine) on a run of Turok!

ValkvsAztecF72.jpg

This has nothing to do with Totems of the Dead. But a cool villain concept. His parent was one of the astronauts on the space shuttle Challenger. That seems like a really neat hero origin. But to twist it... and make it a villain... pretty neat concept.

Challenger72.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working on a very large cover for Other Worlds in oil...so that has been eating some time. I've also been working on a fun project, but it is NDA, something kinda different for me. I'll share when I can. I've got some card art coming up and some interiors for publishers... so it's been busy and will be for the next month or so.

But I will try to keep on top of the commissions pile here and there. So here are a couple of private commissions, a pair of lasses. Thought i would share.

Death Tribble wanted something about colour, but not rainbow outfit. White is the combo of all color spectrums, so this is what I came up with.

color72.jpg

Next up is a pulp or superheroine sorceress, not sure which, but she wears Victorian clothes, the patron was kind enough to send me a couple of links of reference to ponder over. Have I mention I LOVE when clients and patrons provide reference of the stuff they like? Makes my job SOOOO much easier. Because I know what they are looking for and I don't have to spend time looking for the reference myself!

Spellweaver72.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Generic

This has nothing to do with Totems of the Dead. But a cool villain concept. His parent was one of the astronauts on the space shuttle Challenger. That seems like a really neat hero origin. But to twist it... and make it a villain... pretty neat concept.

Challenger72.jpg

I really love this concept and design! :thumbup:

If only it had fold up wings...

• 2 weeks later...

Been awhile since I've posted anything. I just finished a massive cover with a ton of detail. Took weeks. Hopefully I can show it soon. And I'm in the midst of NDA projects, including card art for L5r. So what I can show has been slim. But I got these!

First up, it was my mom's 65th birthday yesterday. I whipped up this quickie acrylic-watercolor of my folks' new puppy, Spenser. Just thought I would share something light and goofy.

anniebdaycardspenser100.jpg

Next is the first of 7 character concepts to come. Each figure is going to be a representative of space navy. This particular one was based heavily on chinese uniforms, crossed with a bit of the scifi uniforms from shows like Babylon 5 and Firefly. The patron provided the reference for this one and told me to mash them together.

It is also a bit different in the way I work. Usually, I start my sketch with loose blue line pencil and then go on top with pencil to tighten up the forms. Once scanned in, I eliminate the blue line in photoshop and then start laying in the value and color digitally.

But I recently saw a demo of some character concept art over at Gnomon Workshop and specifically Sang Jun Lee... link here:

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/941/

And I was interested in how he used what looked like black coloured pencil over vellum. Well, I couldn't find vellum at the art store locally, but still wanted to play with the technique. I substituted tracing paper instead.

I think there is a "warmth" to the line and shading with the coloured pencil. Maybe a density. It isn't vastly different than the normal pencils I scan in (usually on just regular ol' copy paper), but something subtly different that I really like. What do y'all think?

Zhon72.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Continuing on with the Space Navies uniform commission, here is Tingwok. I was mistaken, there will be 7 of these, not 6.

One of the challenges that I will be facing on this one is that all of the figures will be facing "the camera" as per patron request. Keeping that interesting across 7 figs will not be easy.

Again, I am really liking the trace paper/black prismacolor for the sketch. There seems to be a density that is lacking in my previous scanned in pencils. Cool beans!

Anyway, here is Tingwok.

TingwokF72.jpg