Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Re: Storn's Art & Characters thread.

I've been working on a game, Other Worlds, off and on for about 8 months. I finished the cover a week and half ago, but was waiting for Mark (Humphreys) to give the go-ahead for posting and some guerrilla marketing synergy, linking up with his threads. Other Worlds is a multi-genre role playing game, so I got to do all kinds of stuff. Stuff that I tried to cram into the cover, without making it unreadable. I am going to post up the pencils, so you can see that I did take a flying robot eyeball out in the paint. This kind of movie style poster is NOT easy to pull off. But I think it is one of my best paintings. I'm pretty happy with it (watch, now folks will hate it... I'm rarely happy with my work).

The painting is oil on masonite 18 x 24. The art itself comes out to about 16x22. If you are interested in a print (or PLEASE!, the original itself!!), they are on sale here: http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/storn-cook.html

Here be the pencils:

OWcoversketchIII.jpg

Here be the paintin' itself:

OWcov72.jpg

Like I said, I've been working on this project for some time. I've done quite a few interiors for this project, and most are all pencil. There are a couple of previously done art that was used that are not pencil, but they are the vast minority and I even "stressed" my inks to make it look a bit more pencil-y to fit into the vibe of the whole book. So, I thought I would share a couple.

One has to have the "world building" illo in any multi-genre roleplaying game. This is mine. I think the ol' video game Populous was the inspiration for this one.

WorldBuild72.jpg

Vikings. Um. 'nuff said.

VkingF72.jpg

So, I've seen Other Worlds text. And while I haven't poured over the game, it does look pretty neat. For one, it is a percentage system. That is kinda old school, but it does have "Abilities" which are somewhat similar to FATE's Aspects and Skills rolled into one. It looks fast and the conflict system is geared to handle any kind of conflict with the same mechanic. Pretty cool. Also, the layout is done by Fred Hicks. And it is clean, clean, clean. Easy to read. I am such a fan of Hick's work.

Here is me plugging some links for Other Worlds.

Their facebook presence: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Other-Worlds/162776777151618

Their RPGnet thread: http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?337595-Other-Worlds

enjoy!

Here be the paintin' itself:

OWcov72.jpg

What's really wild about this one is that it would be quite at home with one of my future Realm Hunter books. In fact, the central figure even looks a little like my hero, Bear Waters, including the scar through the right eye (Bear is clean shaven and a tad darker, but otherwise that's just about right).

What's really wild about this one is that it would be quite at home with one of my future Realm Hunter books. In fact' date=' the central figure even looks a little like my hero, Bear Waters, including the scar through the right eye (Bear is clean shaven and a tad darker, but otherwise that's just about right).[/quote']

If those are novels... and with a bit of photoshopping to make Bear there, bare... I mean, shaven... I might be able to get Mark to give his okay on letting me sell 2nd use rights. Let me know when it is closer to the time.

If those are novels... and with a bit of photoshopping to make Bear there' date=' bare... I mean, shaven... I might be able to get Mark to give his okay on letting me sell 2nd use rights. Let me know when it is closer to the time.[/quote']

Do you mean the cover? $800.00 and that is a bit low. It took me quite a few hours. many, many, many hours. Really, for the amount of time, it should have been around $1100.

If those are novels... and with a bit of photoshopping to make Bear there' date=' bare... I mean, shaven... I might be able to get Mark to give his okay on letting me sell 2nd use rights. Let me know when it is closer to the time.[/quote']

Oh, it'd be years. I'd want to have Worlds in the setting to represent each of the genres shown, and as of the end of the second story arc (work is under way, but I may have to start over) only about half of them are.

And there's no reason Bear couldn't grow a beard in the next few years....

Do you mean the cover? $800.00 and that is a bit low. It took me quite a few hours. many' date=' many, many hours. Really, for the amount of time, it should have been around $1100.[/quote']

Out of my Price range' date=' but cool.[/quote']

A bit out of mine, too. Plus, Adam Schmidt (misteradam on these boards) has done a wonderful job and the covers so far, and I'm hoping to stick with him for the immediate future (assuming I continue to publish them).

I was mainly remarking on the eeriness of the experience.

• 1 month later...

Been a bit since I've posted anything. Lazy. I've had a couple of these done for a bit, but I just finished the one in the dress today.

So these are character concepts for a space naval setting, where we have a representative of each faction.

One note, I've been working a lot more with a sorta digital underpainting and then combining that with an "overlay" layer to do a lot of the lighter colors. I've been using multiply layers for years, but just starting to venture into using overlay. I'm pretty happy with the color on these, something kinda "chewy" about 'em.

Sinha72.jpg

Folkric72.jpg

Scientist72.jpg

TingwokII72.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Generic

Well, photobucket blocked that illo. I thought the little magic, brass thingees on the nipples would suffice. Guess I was wrong.

Let's try this instead:

mod%2Btype%2B5%2B72.jpg

I really like how the "pairs" of arms are not using the same kind of weapons/doing the same tasks. :thumbup:

Nice work Storn! My eye is particularly drawn to the skirt on the second one - that kind of pearlescent satin fabric quality is extremely hard to get in media besides oil painting.

I agree. The allure of that material is the soft focus effect that this overlay technique seems to do really well. I like the way it lets you blend your character into the world rather than be entirely contained within a line, Storn.

I agree. The allure of that material is the soft focus effect that this overlay technique seems to do really well. I like the way it lets you blend your character into the world rather than be entirely contained within a line' date=' Storn.[/quote']

Thanks. The supers stuff almost needs line to "feel" like that superhero art of the last 60-70 years. But on fantasy and scifi, I prefer doing a "softer" edge. The overlay technique does seem to blend the line a bit easier (and fast, important too!)

Another one by the prolific Death Tribble;

ArdelTeg72.jpg

And Lethe has commissioned quite a few over the years, another one for him;

Verve72.jpg

And these were done for an Xmas card for a co-worker of Millie's who is very into horror films and shows. We all quite like American Horror Story (good finale last night, btw). This was watercolor and acrylic over inked work. the original has the zombie santa on the front and the cartoony verison of our cat Chrissie inside.

zombiexmas272.jpg

zombiexmas172.jpg

You always do excellent work' date=' Storn, but on this "Other Worlds" cover, I think you've outdone yourself.[/quote']

Thank you sooo much. I really tried to push myself on that one and I'm glad that someone thought so. I appreciate the kind words!

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a team of superheroes done as a bunch of holiday presents for the patron's gaming group. So here is this girl centric superteam. I am working on some fantasy stuff that I hope to post later this week. Stay tuned.

Seraph72-1.jpg

Singularity72-1.jpg

Tremble72-1.jpg

Tungsten72.jpg

If anyone is interested in 600 dpi versions of the gals (not the steel guy), they are for sale (and reasonably priced) through my Portfolios by LPJ Design. there are a couple of others tossed in to boot. Here is a link:

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=97897

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Generic

These look great' date=' Storn, though one has to wonder how much double-sided tape Angry Bird goes through.[/quote']

"Angry Bird", that's another good one. :D

I remember in Watchmen how Hollis, the first Nite Owl, described being a masked hero in his autobiography and getting the strip holding his mask on pulled down by a criminal, so he decided to apply spirit gum to the masked area to make it adhere, like stage actors use with their disguises. This might explain why some heroes like Nightwing and Green Lantern appear to have eye masks that just stick to their faces; they do.

In this girl's case, I assume she waxes.

JG

Seraph72-1.jpg

Ah yes, the classical clothing/armor of "unessesary revelation and unlikely ability to stay in place"

Singularity72-1.jpg

Tremble72-1.jpg

Tungsten72.jpg

While Seraph has a little bit to few for my taste, they all look good.

Is tremble Earth/Earthquake type, or a speedster using "vibrating hand into things" trick?

This might explain why some heroes like Nightwing and Green Lantern appear to have eye masks that just stick to their faces; they do.

I think for GL, the disguise is part of the Rings effect/Uniform. But for Nightwing I am certain Batman lifted a fitting superglue of some villain :)