Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Re: Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Smart lady. Distract and then accomplish your objective. :) Storn' date=' I continue to be amazed and delighted by your art! You're gifted and it is amazing to behold! :)[/quote']

Thank you for the kind words.

Here is one more...

This is the last one for the "Space Navies" commission. I really enjoyed doing these, a bit different from my usual supers and fantasy characters.

FreeSpacer72.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Generic

I'm hoping to restart my skype rpg campaign soon. Link to actual play here:

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?560517-(LoA)-Swords-of-a-Dying-Empire

So as a late xmas present to my players and a way to jump-start my own creative juices, I did pics of each of the player characters.

So, we've got the insane blood priest Boka, the demon possessed Damisk and the destroyer of a city, Galvanic.

With Galvanic, the character is based loosely on greek hoplites by the player... but I wanted to visually pay homage, but change it up enough to distant the visuals from a wholly greek look. I don't feel like in a fantasy world made up of lots of different influences and imagination, that a character should be EXACTLY based off of an earth culture.

Boka72.jpg

Damisk72.jpg

Galvanic72.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Generic

• 3 weeks later...

Its pluggin' time. I've got a few projects that I want to talk about.

First up, my own LPJ Design Portfolio stock art keeps marching along. If you want good print quality and have need of art such as this one below (and the 3 fantasy pics I did for Swords of a Dying Empire earlier in this thread). So. Check it out and the other 11 Portfolios! And growing!!! I suspect the next portfolio will be superheroes. Not sure, but that is the way things are leaning.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=98436

SpellweaverII72.jpg

Next, a kickstarter program for Inkwell ideas, below is their marketing blurb:

Monster Stand-Ins are a set of 200 plastic card (same thickness as

most credit cards) miniatures of creatures for role-playing games or

war games or board games. Use them when you don't have enough

miniatures or don't have the right miniature. The plastic makes them

more durable than home-printed minis or even cardboard minis and you

can freely write on them with a dry erase maker. (Mark conditions,

hits taken, "Kobold #9" etc.) They are also more portable and an

organizer box is available as an option. If you pledge for a set, you

can order extras of any card in the set.

The project page is:

Here is a sample of the art that I produced:

GnollduoII72.jpg

And in concordance with Stand-ins is a MASSIVE clip art treasure trove of monsters... with a dozen+ really awesome artists. I know that I'm getting a crack at doing Hobgoblins!!! Always fun stuff!!

Here is the Inkwell link to what they are doing and why and how it synergizes with the monster stand ins.

Thanks for putting up with such blatant advertising. Hopefully, whetting appetites with a smattering of my art will make it okay.

Storn' date=' totally off topic, but I always loved your pic of the rookie cop in Normals Unbound firing on the shooting range. Just thought I would mention it to you[/quote']

Awww...man, thanks. That was my very first hero product. It is SOOOO rough, my art back then.... it is almost scary to look at. But I'm glad you saw something you like in it.

Moving to more up to date illos....

First up, another Death Tribble commission. This one is Skin Devil. Bodybrowser from Googlelabs was a huge help on this one. I think this one is really kinda creepy.

SkinDevil72.jpg

And here is the first of five for a fantasy adventure group... Always fun to try and make a big bruiser of a woman and still look like a female. Especially wearing chainmail. Not sure I succeeded... I *think* I have... but y'all have to be the judge.

Runa72.jpg

Awww...man, thanks. That was my very first hero product. It is SOOOO rough, my art back then.... it is almost scary to look at. But I'm glad you saw something you like in it.

Moving to more up to date illos....

First up, another Death Tribble commission. This one is Skin Devil. Bodybrowser from Googlelabs was a huge help on this one. I think this one is really kinda creepy.

SkinDevil72.jpg

Just kinda? :angst: Thank god for the speedos!

Very Hellraiser-ish. I approve!

As for the fantasy figure, if I may be so bold as to make a suggestion, perhaps moving the spear and her right hand grip a bit further to the left so the more slender female hip-to-waist ratio could be apparent? I know the bulkiness of the chainmail kind of fights against that, as well as masking any obvious cleavage. (Which I do appreciate, she looks far more believable as a warrior than the Playboy-pinup-in-chainmail-bikini standard of Fantasy art.)

And here is the first of five for a fantasy adventure group... Always fun to try and make a big bruiser of a woman and still look like a female. Especially wearing chainmail. Not sure I succeeded... I *think* I have... but y'all have to be the judge.

Runa72.jpg

I think she could use slightly more pronounced bust. If you hadn't told me she was a women, I wouldn't have noticed it (and atributed the chest coloring to shadows). Not much of course, anything to much will only go into chainmal-bikini area.

I'm fine with the female warrior as is, and I would have to think that were she real, there would be confusion about her gender. Think about most female bodybuilders, which barely have noticeable breasts unless they are fake. Considering that breasts are fat, a woman with a lot of lean muscle mass isn't really going to have large breasts. Then slap on armor and there is a high probability that the assumption would be that she was a man. Of course, if it wasn't lean muscle and a good amount of the mass was from drinking alcoholic beverages and eating rich foods then there would be a higher fat content and therefore larger breasts. Now that said, she is a fantasy character, so I say whatever you visualize works for me.

I too would say slightly more emphasis on the bust' date=' but otherwise she's terrific, Storn. Very believable.[/quote']

I don't know; I am fond of the typical "fantasy females" artwork and "armor of distraction" but I have to give credit to anyone who bucks that trend and shows a woman in actual, functional armor and not capitalizing on 'making things sexy.' That being said, at first glance, I was not sure it was a woman or not. That does not make it a critique.

I don't know; I am fond of the typical "fantasy females" artwork and "armor of distraction" but I have to give credit to anyone who bucks that trend and shows a woman in actual' date=' functional armor and not capitalizing on 'making things sexy.'[/quote']

This proves the latter can be done very, very,​ well.

Compounding the issue with Runa is that she was described as "square jawed"... that eliminates so much femininity from the face and chainmail just lies there. It really is heavy and falls off the body, it does't conform at all. I kinda took liberties with the chainmail as is.

the one suggestion to move the hand, I thought of that too, but unfortunately, I was already in the paint when I thought of it. Having the other waist side in LOS would have helped. To change it would have added substantial amount of time and I just didn't have it to spare. Still, I'm rather happy about Runa.

On the other hand, there is the example of Brienne.

JG

?

The Showgirl is another supervillain concept from Death Tribble. He wanted a demure costume if possible, but all the reference I could find had a lot of skin. She certainly is super doing a jump in heels... but hey, supers are fantasy. Do not try at home.

Showgirl72.jpg

And here is another fantasy commission for the "party of 5". Fantasy takes a bit more time than the superhero stuff.... I used to think it was just because of the level of detail, folds in clothes, lots of accoutrements like bags, weapons, belts, buckles. But while doing this one, I came to think that it is also the different textures things are... so it is not just the bags, belts, weapons and buckles, its those things have different "feels" to them visually... or should. This one took a bit longer than I would have liked and I'm still feeling like it's missing something.

Zoltan72.jpg

?

Brienne. In the Song of Ice and Fire books she's this female knight who's not especially attractive and fairly naive, but tough. Has a lot of fans.

The Showgirl is another supervillain concept from Death Tribble. He wanted a demure costume if possible, but all the reference I could find had a lot of skin. She certainly is super doing a jump in heels... but hey, supers are fantasy. Do not try at home.

I'm from Vegas, and from what I've seen, that IS the demure costume. :eg:

JG