Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Re: Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Even more from Death Tribble! A new take on the ol' D&D monster, Shambling Mound, with instructions to not make it massive.

shamblingmound72.jpg

And a MothMan, super villain... meybe... super hero. Wasn't clear from the description. But a bit more on the super spandex set than I've done for awhile. It was fun to return to doing that. Hope y'all enjoy!!!

mothman72.jpg

Even more from Death Tribble! A new take on the ol' D&D monster, Shambling Mound, with instructions to not make it massive.

shamblingmound72.jpg

And a MothMan, super villain... meybe... super hero. Wasn't clear from the description. But a bit more on the super spandex set than I've done for awhile. It was fun to return to doing that. Hope y'all enjoy!!!

mothman72.jpg

The description did say Evil Moth Man.

And the Shambling Mound is called Plant Life......

Glad you are liking folks!

Josh Mannon, the guy behind Within the Devil's Reach, is starting up another kickstarter. This time it is another 3 linked adventures connecting into Within the Devil's Reach storyline. Called Skies over Danbury. Although, from what I understand, you could do these adventures separately too. Both adventure books are for the game system Dungeon World.

If the kickstart succeeds, I will be doing the art for Skies over Danbury. So. I really hope that it does. I enjoyed doing the art for Within the Devil's Reach quite a bit. To give a little visual indication to both Josh and y'all of where I wanted to go cover wise, I worked up a preliminary sketch, very preliminary, and gave it a bit of a underpainting treatment.

I present it here to whet your appetites and to show a rare behind-the-scenes stage of what goes into a painting. Hope you like and I hope you will check out Josh's kickstarter link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jbmannon/the-skies-over-danbury-dungeon-world-adventures

Here is the underpainting for Skies over Danbury:

skyshipsinP72.jpg

p.s. I haven't played Dungeon World yet, but after flipping through my swag copy of Within the Devil's Reach, I SURE DO want to. And it seems very cool how Within the Devil's Reach has questions of the players to set up parameters for the adventures to be forthcoming.

My sister recently cleaned out my parents barn (just so you think I'm not heartless, I helped too). The barn had become a holding place for all kinds of treasures...and my sister held a huge garage sale to help with her books for college. One of these "treasures" is a bit of art I did, sometime between 10-12. I'm not sure how old I was. I remember doing this piece of art. It was during classes. I'm thinking 8th grade, but it might have been some other time too. So. Without further ado, here is a piece of art from the beginning of my career. The really EARLY part of my career. Hope y'all get a chuckle. I certainly did seeing it again.

Somehow, the concept of this early piece strikes me as an awesome concept for Primetime Adventures if I was playing with Aaron Sorkin, JJ Abrams and Joss Whedon. Dunno why. For those who don't know, Primetime Adventures is a roleplaying game who's structure is very similar to pitching TV shows or mini-series. Very clever game.

alienfilmcrew72.jpg

And to see perhaps, some of my path... I recently got a chance to do three female characters from the same Exalted game.

Abyssal72.jpg

Whisper72.jpg

PhoenixDaughter72.jpg

My sister recently cleaned out my parents barn (just so you think I'm not heartless, I helped too). The barn had become a holding place for all kinds of treasures...and my sister held a huge garage sale to help with her books for college. One of these "treasures" is a bit of art I did, sometime between 10-12. I'm not sure how old I was. I remember doing this piece of art. It was during classes. I'm thinking 8th grade, but it might have been some other time too. So. Without further ado, here is a piece of art from the beginning of my career. The really EARLY part of my career. Hope y'all get a chuckle. I certainly did seeing it again.

Somehow, the concept of this early piece strikes me as an awesome concept for Primetime Adventures if I was playing with Aaron Sorkin, JJ Abrams and Joss Whedon. Dunno why. For those who don't know, Primetime Adventures is a roleplaying game who's structure is very similar to pitching TV shows or mini-series. Very clever game.

alienfilmcrew72.jpg

And to see perhaps, some of my path... I recently got a chance to do three female characters from the same Exalted game.

Abyssal72.jpg

Whisper72.jpg

PhoenixDaughter72.jpg

alienfilmcrew72.jpg

I don't have words for how epic that is.

Another in a series of Exalted females for Paul L. This one is a bit more horrific in its description as being during or just after bloody battle. And oh yeah, this is the first piece of digital art done with my combo birthday/Xmas present... a brand new, 22 inch, Cintiq!!!!! Oh, by all the angels of art, what a difference from a wacom tablet!!! I am one happy, jumping with joy, boy.

Note: It isn't completely digital, I did scan in fairly tight pencils done on vellum. All the color was done digitally.

Iria72.jpg

Next is the first of three Angels that I'm doing for Xmas presents for Millie's family. I did a couple of angeds last time I was in Puerto Rico, on the spot, with cheap travel watercolors. We are heading for Puero Rico for my first PR Xmas, something I'm quite looking forward to!

Now, I'm taking my time and doing these in acrylic... a medium I haven't used in quite some time, but wanting to give it a go again. Inspired to go that route from a couple of coffee table talks with local friends n artists like Jeff Szuc and Steve Ellis!

It is interesting to be tackling Christian iconology... I am not a christian (very wayward jew, btw)... yet being an american, immersed in a Wasp environment, married into a Catholic one, it feels different to be painting angels as opposed to, oh, I don't know, valkyries or medusas from other religions. Like it is weird to be "right next door" to a subject matter, but apart from it too. It ain't like hundreds of famous artists haven't done angels or anything... sheesh. Yet, I feel somewhat blasphemous for tackling a subject I don't believe in..... I don't believe in medusas or valkyries... for the record.

As I was doing this, I was struck how similar doing an angel is and doing many a female superheroine. Maybe it is just my habits are so practiced they are now hard wired into my muscle memory.

Anyway, time to shut up and put up the artwork....

GoldAngel72.jpg

That warrior woman is off the charts amazing but I don't know if she is Exalted enough. Maybe if she had a frost giant's heart clenched in her teeth or had just cloven a mountain in twain. If she won the battle all by herself, that would be Exalted enough.

I wish it wasn't a contracted piece because I would love a print.

That warrior woman is off the charts amazing but I don't know if she is Exalted enough. Maybe if she had a frost giant's heart clenched in her teeth or had just cloven a mountain in twain. If she won the battle all by herself, that would be Exalted enough.

I wish it wasn't a contracted piece because I would love a print.[/quoteie

Just because it is a contracted piece doesn't mean you cannot have a print. Give me until monday, I will put it up on fine art america, and you can get prints through that website. I'm away from my main computer with its files at the moment or I would do it right now. I will come back and give up the link.

I wish it wasn't a contracted piece because I would love a print.[/quoteie

Just because it is a contracted piece doesn't mean you cannot have a print. Give me until monday, I will put it up on fine art america, and you can get prints through that website. I'm away from my main computer with its files at the moment or I would do it right now. I will come back and give up the link.

CasualPlayer, I put the link to a print for Ilia below.

Prints, Portfolios, Princesses and Poignards!

Okay, maybe not a poignard, but I needed a 4th "p" for my alliteration. The dude does have a rapier!

So, a couple of folks asked about prints of a couple of recent pics... you can find several pieces of art available for prints in all kinds of sizes and formats here:

http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/storn-cook.html

Let me know if there are pics I've posted up that you would like to see as prints and I will put them up too!

Next, I have a new clipart portfolio up through LPJ Designs, featuring recent fantasy pics. Check that out here:

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/108714/Image-Portfolio-Platinum-Edition-23%3A-Storn-Cook?filters=0_0_0_0

And now! More Art (yah!)

First up, the next in the Xmas Angel series... here is my Cerulean Angel.

CeruleanAngel72.jpg

Next, is another in the Exalted series for Paul L. Although it is Exalted, working from Paul's descriptions, I am interpreting a more restrained visual look than the usual Exalted gonzo/anime/over the top stylings I've seen from other sources.

Zilla72.jpg

And lastly, a fencing Spaniard for Death Tribble...

TheSpainiard72.jpg

Keep the comments coming, love to hear what folks think!

Til next time...

Well, Millie encouraged me to make Xmas cards. So I did the obligatory cat Xmas card starring our cats, Chrissie and Baby. Chrissie is the one wearing the santa hat. So this is the cute. Down with watered down acrylic ink.

CatsSnowmanXmaslet72.jpg

Then we have a dear friend who is a major horror fan. Last year, I did a zombie Xmas. This year, well, how about Vampire Xmas. So, Bloody. Maybe next Xmas will be hairy (ie Loup Garou). Another acrylic, done on these cool watercolor cards that I acquired along the way somewhere. By the way, although the font was hand done, it was based on a pencil transfer from Blambot's excellent YouMurderer font.

Fangtastic72.jpg

Lastly, the divine, the last in my triad of angels.

VerdeAngel72.jpg

I will put all three of these up on my FineArt America. They can make nice cards and such.

http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/storn-cook.html

I'm off to Puerto Rico for Christmas. I hope to do some art while down there. I'll post it when I get back.