Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Re: Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Back from 2 weeks in Puerto Rico! Back to the studio! Back to the drawing board!

While I haven't posted much art of late, I have been busy doing art and now I can share some of it with you. First up, another oddball concept from Death Tribble. This time I was the one who pushed for doing the head inside the chest...originally, it was supposed to be a helmet with water/fluid suspending the disembodied head. I wanted to push the concept just a tad further and this is what I came up with...

Additionally, it is the first time I've done digital inks in a long time, and the first time on my wacom Cintiq. I was pretty fast and more importantly, happy with the result. Much, much easier than inking on a wacom tablet.

ArmorAqua72_zps07dced54.jpg

LOVE this!

Robert, of the Do Not Approach-- Mutants and Masterminds villain gallery kickstart, wrote me with a correction. The link in the previous post was to an older kickstart, here is the link to the correct one: http://kck.st/TlXrpB. I apologize for any confusion or inconvenience.

Here is a fresh off the tablet commission, the first of 7, involving vampire hunters and their prey.

LucyManningII72_zps3956454a.jpg

I must state that I'm a bit surprised that Death Tribble hasn't commissioned an Octopussy yet - A cat (or cat-hybrid) with tentacles. Many a James Bond films could provide something clever. ;)

I am anything if unpredictable. Besides Storn does not like having to do catgirls after a deluge of them previously.

Back from 2 weeks in Puerto Rico! Back to the studio! Back to the drawing board!

While I haven't posted much art of late, I have been busy doing art and now I can share some of it with you. First up, another oddball concept from Death Tribble. This time I was the one who pushed for doing the head inside the chest...originally, it was supposed to be a helmet with water/fluid suspending the disembodied head. I wanted to push the concept just a tad further and this is what I came up with...

Additionally, it is the first time I've done digital inks in a long time, and the first time on my wacom Cintiq. I was pretty fast and more importantly, happy with the result. Much, much easier than inking on a wacom tablet.

ArmorAqua72_zps07dced54.jpg

And for superhero lovers, this is an image for a Mutants and Masterminds Villains pack. Link to that is here and this worthy project is NOT funded yet, so it could use your help:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/502760470/do-not-approach-villains-super-powered-by-mandm-rp

Corbin72_zpsa604650d.jpg

note: This was also digitally inked.

The aqua armour will be discussed elsewhere as it was the concept to art winner from 2012.

And I am a backer of the Kickstarter now and when it tried and did not succeed beforehand.

• 3 weeks later...

First up, a couple more of the Vampire Hunters club. I will have more details, as in a link, when that becomes available from the client.

Joe. Vampire Hunter

JoeKottayi72_zpsecd16173.jpg

Sister Howley. Vampire Hunter

SisterHowley72_zps7ba1a942.jpg

Then here are two more from Death Tribble. A shooter and a Virgin airlines air stewardess with super powers. The model used for the Virgin airlines gal is the same model that DT ask me to use for one of our very first collaborations, Brittania.

Shooter.

Shooter72_zps71d9846d.jpg

Virgin Air Stewardess super heroine

VirginF72_zpsfd66af21.jpg

Then here are two more from Death Tribble. A shooter and a Virgin airlines air stewardess with super powers. The model used for the Virgin airlines gal is the same model that DT ask me to use for one of our very first collaborations, Brittania.

Shooter.

Shooter72_zps71d9846d.jpg

Virgin Air Stewardess super heroine

VirginF72_zpsfd66af21.jpg

When your plane comes apart in mid-air and then gets put back together 50-100 feet above the sea and you don't end up in the water but like some passengers you end up floating, then you too could end up with superpowers.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a couple of fantasy pics. Trying to get a tad more movement and action into these character concept shots. It isn't always appropriate, due to the tone or personality of the character... but I try to remember to do action occasionally instead of just a pose where possible. Let y'all be the judges... enjoy!

I've done Wilson down there twice before. He has been upgraded with mystical armor, as per the patron's request.

WilsonSladeIIF72_zps3c98ebba.jpg

And to make this guy's 2 handed warhammer a bit on the large side. I aim to please. Should I have pushed it even further? To, say, some anime or online MMO stylings of large hammers? I still shirk towards the realm of "somewhat believable . Again, y'all be the judges!

ClortonF72_zps5b865667.jpg

• 1 month later...

So, the series of modern vampires and their prey and hunters I've been doing are for a collection of characters for a novel by Paul Leone.

Here is Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Mysterious-Vatican-Vampire-Hunters-ebook/dp/B00BRIENTS

And here is the link to his website with cool notes and background stuff: http://paul-leone.com/miscellany/

And here is another one of the above mentioned characters, fresh off the Storn Art table.

Ophelie72_zps1638d626.jpg

Next up is a "post-modern" superhero...

HammerPaul72_zpsc477d614.jpg

And then we have fantasy duo versions of Caliban and Prospero

Caliban72_zps871f1e85.jpg

Prospero72_zps90c3ffc6.jpg

Always good work Storn, and if you didn't get it, here are my grateful thanks for the Spellcaster work you did :)

I like most of your work, and liked especially the idea of Dreyogg, tough for once I didn't enjoyed the coloring as much as usual. I don't know how to explain it well in english, but It looks like a bit "blurred" to me. I tend to prefer "clearer" colorings and drawings.

Anyway it is still great work.

Regards

Opale

• 3 weeks later...

Got three femme fatales for ya! The first is another Death Tribble special, I called her Jewel, we didn’t really come up with a codename besides that.

Jewel

Jewel72_zpscff2e11a.jpg

Next we have two ladies who are for an author’s upcoming fantasy novel. I don’t know much about it, just got a request to doodle up his creations based on his descriptions. When he gets his work up and out, I will certainly share it with y’all.

Reeka

Reeka72_zpsf361d7d3.jpg

Zaama

ZaamaFIII_zps695748cf.jpg

Got three femme fatales for ya! The first is another Death Tribble special, I called her Jewel, we didn’t really come up with a codename besides that.

Jewel

Jewel72_zpscff2e11a.jpg

Right this one requires a bit of explanation. Due to the problems we have experienced the 12 characters in 12 months project I am undertaking got derailed. Because of the delays and because I had paid Storn this idea came up into my head.

Yes those are real gems. Except that you cannot pry them loose from her flesh. And if somehow you decapitated her (i.e. by cheating) the gems would fade and her flesh rot to nothing.

The hands and arms to the elbows are living metal similar to the Robert Patrick version of the Terminator. The exception being that she can use them to parry attacks and they can resist high and low temperatures or even block something like a Jedi's light sabre.

The other power stunt is that if you managed to knock her out and then tried to decapitate her the attack would bounce/fail and she would fully awaken restored to full health.

First off, lets get the marketing/business thing out of the way first. Its been some time, but I just released another clipart Portfolio from LPJ Designs, the 24th! And this is a big one, 8 pics of art!!! I really appreciate all the commissions that I get, to continue to be able to provide this reasonable priced art for indie and small publishers. So thank you all who give me your character concepts to bring to visual life.

The link to the the portfolio is here: http://lpjdesign.rpgnow.com/product/113898/Image-Portfolio-Platinum-Edition-24%3A-Storn-Cook

and remember, you can preview the entire portfolio (or any of them) before buying, so you know exactly what you are getting.

Next up, Paul C. has me take concepts I've already illustrated, from his games, and put them into actual scenes. It is a ton of fun and Paul's descriptions are excellent and I think I've really gotten better at painting from the practice.

First up, Vampire and Tiefling vs. Dryder. This is my first all-acrylic pic I've painted in quite some time. I use acrylic often as an under painting, but after talking to fellow artists, Jeff Szuc and Steve Ellis, I decided to use clear matte medium as my glazing medium, instead of water. I tend to like to sneak up on color with glazes and tints. With water, I always got this kinda blotchy glazes and tints and wasn't happy with it. With matte medium, I got a nice even distribution and it handled like oil paint. Score!!!

And I decided to not really go for a cover format, allowing myself to use all the space, especially at the top for action.

VampiresvsDryder72_zps50168e07.jpg

Commissions are my experiment time. And this next one was a real experiment for me. I did the WHOLE thing digital. Now, I tend to do somewhat tight pencils for paintings. Here are the pencils for VnT vs D above.

Dryderambushsk72_zpsacd25ead.jpg

V n T vs D sketch

Then I went in on that and did a fairly tight underpainting. But here is my digital sketch, which, was made possible by my cintiq and Manga Studio 5 made the perspective stuff really quick. So, really sketchy and loose. Paul asked for a stone golem, which I slipped sideways in concept to a stone marble golem.

ProsperonCalibanskIII72_zpsbab9709b.jpg

This painting is "designed" to be a cover, even though there is no actual product for it to be on. But after the Dryder painting, I didn't want to get lazy in thinking about that.

And here is the finish. I really like Manga Studio 5 more and more. I used it for about 70% of this digital piece, bouncing to Painter and Photoshop for specific functions. Manga Studio's pencil and oil tools are few, but I really dig their them. And the blending tool is as good as Painters, which I love...and far superior to Photoshop's.

ProsperonCalibanIVF72_zps64979470.jpg

So. There you have it. A peek behind some recent experiments. And by the way, these are both available as prints at: http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/storn-cook.html?tab=artwork&deleteartworkid=3825803&page=

Also, if there are any publishers who want 1st print rights at a reasonable rate for either (or both), drop me a line at storn.cook@gmail.com. These won't ever be in a clipart portfolio, as too much time went into them as well as the specificity of their narrative.