Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

• 5 weeks later...
Cancer Benefit for Danielle snapshots

My wife, Millie, is a professor of nursing at Tompkins Cortland Community College and her fellow teacher, Danielle, has been diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer.  She is a single mom of 4 and is an adjunct professor (no health insurance).  So, we've been involved for the last couple of months helping to put together a benefit for Danielle.  It was this last Sunday and it was amazing.  Lots of people showed.  Lots of gift baskets were raffled off.

So.  I did this painting to be raffled off.  The couple who ended up winning it were thrilled.  Saying it was to go above their fireplace and replace their picture of Jesus Christ.  That was awfully nice to hear.  That my artwork was going in lieu of Lord and Savior.  They were so happy, it was a gift to me.

AngelofCancerResearchF72_zpscf81fdf3.jpg

Angel of Cancer Research

About 3 weeks ago, Millie and I shaved our heads in support of Danielle.  We had a mini-fundraising at TC3, where other students shaved their heads and folks paid a couple of bucks to touch Millie's head.  On Sunday, I re-shaved Millie's head for the Benefit (I wanted to do mine too, but we ran out of time and had to get there!).  Our neighbor, Denise, does these amazing face paintings and asked if she could paint Millie's head.  Viola!  Got the pic!!!

MillieFacepaintcrop_zps1c6655b2.jpg

Millie's Face painting at Danielle's Cancer Benefit

I also had a table right next to Denise doing sketches for kids at the Benefit.  It was fun.  I'm only sorry that I thought of taking photos of my sketches at the tail end.  It was really interesting.  I did a lot of animals.... 3 owls, 1 buck, 1 wolf, 1 king cobra among others.  Frozen characters were also the big request, I did 3 Annas and 2 Elsas and 1 Olaf.  I haven't seen the movie yet, thankfully, my iphone could bring up reference on all of these things.  

So I got a couple of sketches from the Benefit to share.  Not the clearest snapshots, I played with them a bit digitally trying to punch the contrast in Photoshop:

photo_zps957abc33.jpg

ElsaFrozen_zpsfb99bffd.jpg

Finally, I get to talk about a project that I've been sitting on for awhile!  Ribbons is a comic Kickstart, created by its writer, Justin Evans.  If the Kickstart succeeds, I get to do the art chores.  The tagline is this:  What if Las Vegas was a battleground for souls ... and you just inherited a brothel? 

Here is the link to the Kickstart page and will tell you plenty more about the Ribbons graphic novel. Including a video for folks who don't feel like reading at this very moment (but I would think folks who like comics tend to like to read!  <g>)

And now to tease you and hopefully entice you into backing said Kickstart, some art I've done for Ribbons!

Here is a mock up of the cover.  I slapped down that type face just to show what I was thinking while I was working on it, just to show Justin that we could possibly put the title in the lower quadrant than the more traditional, up at the top.  Not sure if that is going to stick yet.  Justin liked it.

RibbonscovF0272_zps68391841.jpg

Here is page 1 and example of the final product.  I'm doing  pencil with sorta digital washes to allow the pencil grit to come/seep through.  Which I think is appropriate for a urban mystic noir vibe, yet still be readable.

Ribbons001weblettered_zpsb51eefe6.jpg

Next are pages 2 and 3 and these are just pencils and are a bit rough and sketchy (by design).  These will go to finishes if the Kickstart gets Started!

RibbonsP002sk72_zps7e6da62f.jpg

Ribbonsp003sk72_zps89c98ecd.jpg

That maid's not having a good day... :)   Her expression is distinctly "I don't get paid enough for this"

Good work, Storn.

The maid is much more than a maid.  She is a main character and my favorite in what I've read of the script.  

• 3 weeks later...
First off, if you love comics and you haven't backed Ribbons, my possible modern mysticism noir series... you should.

I've got some cards and such to do, which I can't show until they are released.  At which point, I always forget to post them (reminder to me, post some AEG L5r cards that just released soon!)  But I do have some odds and ends of commissions and some doodles for a Storium game.

First up, another in Paul L's ongoing Vampire realm...

VampnVicF72_zps5025ced9.jpg

Vampire and Victim

Next, another one of death tribble's commissions.  This time it is Manta Ray (which has been used in other places).  I tried to keep him aquatic, but obviously suit like and while the DC Manta Ray was to be referenced, it wasn't to be copied out right.  I actually looked at a lot of pics of real manta rays while trying to design the costume.  I liked how it turned out.

MantaRayF72_zpsd4d02aaf.jpg

Manta Ray

Next up was a duo commission.  Don't do those very often and this was fun.  Army Ant and Firefly.  Very specific color choices asked for by the patron.  And that AA was shorter.  As a short guy myself, I was really happy to have such a heroic guy representing us vertically challenged folk.

ArmyAntFirefly72_zps5f5a211f.jpg

Army Ant and Firefly

Lastly, this was a doodle bust shot of My character in a scifi Storium game about space repo/bounty hunters.  Storium is really a cool web based game system, very simple, very elegant that I am in the beta of and am supporting through Kickstarter.  I'm really impressed.  It uses cards to overcome challenges set by the Narrator (re: GM/DM) and the cards also determine who gets to narrate the outcome of the challenge.

If you haven't checked out Storium, you should, here is the kickstart link:  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stlhood/storium-the-online-storytelling-game

And here is my doodle of my character, Alton alMazeer, ex psi-op, reluctant bounty hunter.

AltonF72_zpsa95063d0.jpg

Next, another one of death tribble's commissions.  This time it is Manta Ray (which has been used in other places).  I tried to keep him aquatic, but obviously suit like and while the DC Manta Ray was to be referenced, it wasn't to be copied out right.  I actually looked at a lot of pics of real manta rays while trying to design the costume.  I liked how it turned out.
MantaRayF72_zpsd4d02aaf.jpg
Manta Ray

So do I

• 3 weeks later...
First off, John Wick's Wield kickstarter is off and running today!!!  And it already has met 2 of its stretch goals as I write this.  It seems like a really cool little game where you play an artifact, like Stormbringer, instead of "human" protagonist like Elric.  I posted the cover art before, but will do it again, as well as two of the interiors I did for the book.  

And here is the cover and interiors:  

WieldCoverVII72_zps245ac32b.jpg

DragonChangeF72_zps37440e51.jpg

ShatterF72_zpsddb8f2fa.jpg

Next up is a new project for me.  I call it the bugs and drugs.  I'm working with Mitreos development and this is a Kickstarter project that already was successful before I was called in.  The idea is to take various viruses and illness as well as beneficial drugs and such, and make a fantasy world out of them.  So, for example, I was called upon to do Streptomycin.  

Here is my exact illo brief:  A shepherd (female) guarding horses, cattle, sheep, and orchards, with a glowing Shepherd's staff. She recently changed sides to the forces of good even though she used to be a bacteria (the antibiotic is actually a byproduct of bacteria)

From little I have seen, it is really neat stuff.  My wife, the nursing professor, was mildly amused too.  And from the art side, it is an interesting challenge, as the art serves quite a few masters.  There is a roleplaying tome like two page spread (so the character is alone, no background), as well as posters, as well as art for the collectible card game.  I did the art quite large for the poster size stuff and worked down from there.

Next, I'm working on Ertapenem, another "good guy" heroine drug interpretation.  

The link to their website is here:  http://bacterionomicon.com/

And the art!

Strepwithbackground3F72_zpsa05b6bfa.jpg

Hope y'all get a kick outta the artwork.  

• 3 weeks later...
Well folks.  I'm at that rare crossroads of not having much work.  My schedule is wide open.  So, if you have private commissions you've always wanted to have done... let me know.  Or if you are a publisher or art director and have projects that I would be use for, please contact me.  Storn.Cook@gmail.com

I just found out that I'm doing a follow up to John Wick's Wield cover.  So I am excited about that!

And I got some images together for another clip art portfolio for LPJ Designs.  Some of the artwork is from a passion project of mine of doing a really high quality art for a fantasy web comic.  So.  I've been exploring some media and techniques to be able to do quality, yet make it fast enough that I can justify playing and not making money on it.  The below is one example of water color pencils (once drawn, you can add water and smear it around) with a bit of watercolor (just grays) on top of it.  Then digitally colored.  Louis over at LPJ even picked it to be the cover of this particular clip art collection.  

It is a fun technique for me, something fresh, as opposed to just doing pencil, then digital...because it becomes a bit more about shape than just line.  Something I'm really interested in pushing, as my comic book past is so strong and the art is SO much about line.  

And here is the art:  Tal on the Run!

TalontherunF72_zps4341a50a.jpg

Next up, Death Tribble was still interested in another Manta Ray, but this time, not a techno suit, but an organic monstrosity as villain.  Which was really cool to do a variant of something I had just done recently.  This was also watercolor pencils and watercolors plus digital...

Manta Ray 2

MantaRay2F72_zps64eb0bef.jpg

Next up are a couple of entries into TenTon Studios weekly challenge.  I thought this one was particularly clever.  "What IF Geiger had been the art director behind Star Wars?"  What a cool mash up.  So, here are my doodles imagining such a thing....

Princess Leia via Geiger

GeigerLeia72_zpsa658accb.jpg

Boba Fett via Geiger

GiegerBobaFett72_zps0743f551.jpg

Three ladies and a.. a.. what.

I got a really nice commission and a nice letter from a dad who was commissioning his daughter’s character, Ocean Princess, from their regular mutants and masterminds game.  She is 9 years old.  The dad said that they often use pics that i’ve posted over on the Green Ronin boards for their characters.

So, here is the pic:  

OceanPrincessF72_zpse2ee61d1.jpg

Next up, I did another Death Tribble commission, this time a victorian lady with what he called a “tricked up parisol”.  So, this is what i came up with, going for a femme fatale vibe.

TheLadyF72_zps31fb8af8.jpg

Then I got a chance to do a Star Trek commission…not something I do all that often.

CapnClaudiaf72_zpsa1bf832d.jpg

Lastly, this is a wee sketch, still trying out watercolor pencil, playing with digital watercolor on multiply layers.  This is something from a web comic idea that is slowly gestating in me head.  Hopefully, more to come…

KoGarF72_zpsb59ee42a.jpg

Next up, I did another Death Tribble commission, this time a victorian lady with what he called a “tricked up parisol”.  So, this is what i came up with, going for a femme fatale vibe.

TheLadyF72_zps31fb8af8.jpg

Most costumes for women in the Superhero genre are close fitting and allow martial arts combat or brick combat. This one prevents that by the size of the dress. And this is the winner of the vote thread I did in 2012. It has taken this long to get suitable designs and ideas to Storn and then get them done.

Then I got a chance to do a Star Trek commission…not something I do all that often.

CapnClaudiaf72_zpsa1bf832d.jpg

This is for an "enterprise-era reboot universe" I'm working on. I've changed a good bit, and its rated "cable version."

Her name is Cpt. Claudia Darvash. I'm very pleased with how it turned out. Kudos to Storn.

I hope more will follow.

Most costumes for women in the Superhero genre are close fitting and allow martial arts combat or brick combat. This one prevents that by the size of the dress. And this is the winner of the vote thread I did in 2012. It has taken this long to get suitable designs and ideas to Storn and then get them done.

I like the departure. It turned out quite well.

• 3 months later...
This summer has been very busy.  I’ve moved my parents from their farm of 37 years and a barn full of stuff, some of it mine.  I’ve worked a longer than expected contract for a local company.  I’ve moved my step daughter from DC back to upstate NY so she could go to school.

I’ve been doing artwork, but I’ve neglected to put anything up in awhile.  Or post.

So, here are some things that I can show.  First up is a follow up to my Wield cover.  Not sure of what the follow up is going to be called (I’ve been calling in Wield 2, how original!)

Wield2F72_zps41199602.jpg

Next up is Endiku, a sumerian “monster” guy done up as more Hulk superhero-y mode.

EnkiduF72_zpsaa1bf6e7.jpg

Here is the Marshal.  I will have a follow up action scene with him to do a bit later this month.

MarshallcapeF72_zpsf9056c77.jpg

And lastly, a star trek character called Talon.

TalonF72_zps3b111ad7.jpg